Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Chevrolet

Old 07-10-2020, 01:41 PM

I just went through this, I decided to go dual instead of transverse, it’s tucked up so nice I can back up over a cub on Woodward to park there, and there is plenty of clearance. I went with a straight through Borla, quiet till you get on it. Life time warranty too.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COPO View Post
Great link. They have a 69 Firebird with the Imposter muffler which is their loudest and it's seems quite fine. Sounds healthy without being too loud.
After considering all the suggestions & input from you guys, I decided today to order a complete Waldron tranverse system with the optional Imposter muffler being the deciding factor , only to be told it will take 8 to 10 weeks because the mufflers are out of stock and made to order. But Joeys Muscle cars has complete systems in stock ready to go with OEM style sounding muffler. All things considered both are in the same ball park cost wise. I always tend to over think everything especially when it comes to my cars !!! Hmmm ?
Old 07-16-2020, 12:47 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Either route seems like a good choice. If you didn't want to wait, you could get the system from Joey's now and then if later you wanted a more aggressive sound just swap out the muffler for the "Imposter" from Waldron.
Old 07-16-2020, 01:08 PM

Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,147 Posts

Good advice,that's what I would do. http://waldronexhaust.com/muffleroptions.htm
Old 07-17-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Either route seems like a good choice. If you didn't want to wait, you could get the system from Joey's now and then if later you wanted a more aggressive sound just swap out the muffler for the "Imposter" from Waldron.
Just ordered the complete Waldron system w/the Imposter muffler, minus the chrome tipped tail pipes which they don't offer ,and my originals are mint so, Fingers Crossed !!!

Last edited by GrumpyJeff; 07-17-2020 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-17-2020, 08:58 PM

Nice, please post a follow up once you get it all installed and perhaps a sound clip and your impressions. I'm going to be in the market as well and would really appreciate your first hand impressions.
Old 07-18-2020, 10:13 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Nice, please post a follow up once you get it all installed and perhaps a sound clip and your impressions. I'm going to be in the market as well and would really appreciate your first hand impressions.
Will do! it will be a little while though, I was told 7-8 weeks wait as the mufflers are made to order and they are short handed employee wise due to the covid . Would of really liked to have ordered a system from Joey , which he said he could have shipped out in a few days. But the muffler option of Waldrons ended up being the deciding factor and I didn't really want to mix & match in case of fitment issues ? Want to thank everybody again for all the suggestions, links & advice.
Old 05-30-2021, 01:42 PM

'So i finally got my complete Waldrons exaust system installed on my Z28. out of the box everything looked great. But during installation i had a few minor issues with fit. With the most signifigant being the right side head pipe coming out of the manifold was a inch or two longer compared to the original oem pipe that we removed, which in turn thru everything off the rest of the way back including the muffler being way out of wack as far as fitting in the limited space behind the rear axle. No biggie , just had to go back and trim a good inch at he front of the head pipe to get every thing to fit as it should. Since all my original hangers were fine i decided to reuse all of them. Everything lined up pretty good , but the entire system felt a little snug to the bottom of the car,And the aluminized finish looked great . but Once the car was started I was immediately disappointed with the Tone of the optional "Imposter" muffler which was supposed to have a more aggressive sound than a stock style replacement . New car quite is all i got ! It dosent sound bad at the rear of the car , but at idle and going thru the gears even at full throttle it just dosent have the sound i hoped for. not sure how a Solid lifter,11.1 motor can sound so tame ? HaHa , the car does have all its born with California smog in place for what its worth

Last edited by GrumpyJeff; 05-30-2021 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-02-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyJeff View Post
'So i finally got my complete Waldrons exaust system installed on my Z28. out of the box everything looked great. But during installation i had a few minor issues with fit. With the most signifigant being the right side head pipe coming out of the manifold was a inch or two longer compared to the original oem pipe that we removed, which in turn thru everything off the rest of the way back including the muffler being way out of wack as far as fitting in the limited space behind the rear axle. No biggie , just had to go back and trim a good inch at he front of the head pipe to get every thing to fit as it should. Since all my original hangers were fine i decided to reuse all of them. Everything lined up pretty good , but the entire system felt a little snug to the bottom of the car,And the aluminized finish looked great . but Once the car was started I was immediately disappointed with the Tone of the optional "Imposter" muffler which was supposed to have a more aggressive sound than a stock style replacement . New car quite is all i got ! It dosent sound bad at the rear of the car , but at idle and going thru the gears even at full throttle it just dosent have the sound i hoped for. not sure how a Solid lifter,11.1 motor can sound so tame ? HaHa , the car does have all its born with California smog in place for what its worth
Thanks for the report. Makes me not want to try an Imposter muffler. If still unhappy and not too worried about originality (can't really see much of the muffler anyway) a popular option would be to swap out the transverse for one of these cross flow mufflers from Dynomax and it's relatively inexpensive. They are a great sounding muffler.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Dynomax/289/1...aAsa3EALw_wcB#

Not sure what pipe diameter you ended up with but they make these in 2 1/4" and 2 1/2" I linked the 2 1/4"
Old 06-17-2021, 01:33 PM

Good reading here, muffler in my 69 is started to rot through, haven't even gotten 1,500 miles on car and it was aluminized but has always spit out orange rusty water from condensation so I'm kind of liking the Dynomax listed above but wont tailpipes need to be swedged up to 2.25?
90 Formula 350