Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > COPO - United States

Old 12-06-2012, 05:04 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,688 Times in 996 Posts
Default ZL1 # 48 coming to Barrett-Jackson

Anyone know the details ?
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 12-06-2012, 08:52 PM

Thanked 4,224 Times in 1,975 Posts
Default Re: ZL1 # 48 coming to Barrett-Jackson

No real details but here's the BJ link...
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/appli...61&aid=466

ZL1 #48
VIN 124379N618902
4-Spd.
Lemans Blue

[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
~ Pete

Old 12-07-2012, 02:31 AM

Car was at show in Toronto last March for the first time. I have known the guy owned the car for years and never talked much about it.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:44 PM
Banned

It is another long lost missing ZL1. It has never shown up on US title searches done decades ago by the guys who were seriously searching for these cars. It was in a body shop near Toronto a few years ago. I was told it had no trim tag and the body sheet metal dates were in the 24th week of '69 or so. I think this one needs some serious inspection.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:09 PM

Third party chatter,speculation, and hearsay from “some guy in a body shop” may not be a fair way to judge the car in question. Some of the information posted has originated from a source who has other issues with the owner, and is factually wrong. It is not always those who think they are&quot; in the know &quot;that have access to rare and elite cars. We all have a common interest in bringing real, rare cars into the spotlight. What is puzzling is how some cars with real issues dare not be criticized, yet new finds are dismissed so casually.

Quik9r
Old 12-10-2012, 03:34 AM
Banned

This is the same &quot;third parter chatter&quot; and &quot;hearsay&quot; that led to the 5 ZL1 Camaros that were registered by one owner one the same day, the questionable yellow L89 Camaro, numerous rebody issue Copo cars, etc. all occurring in Canada. This car is not casually dismissed but seriously questioned because of its inspection by &quot;some guy in a body shop&quot;. I bet it was in more than one body shop so how is the source who has issues with the car owner the only one who may have seen the car? At issue is the car itself. We hope is a real rare car, that just has not always been the case with some of the rare Canadian cars appearing in recent years with no real histories at all.

It all comes down to due diligence; if the body has March/earlier '69 not June '69 dates, the trim tag is real, etc. then this will be just idle chatter. Any prospective buyer will want to verify the true condition of the # 48 ZL1 Camaro in question with a qualified inspection. That is the only way to end all the idle chatter and set the facts straight.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:55 PM

Thanked 3,688 Times in 996 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: quik9r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Car was at show in Toronto last March for the first time. I have known the guy owned the car for years and never talked much about it. </div></div>

Who owned it or do you know who restored it ?
Old 12-07-2012, 05:24 PM

I concur, I heard it had those issues. What was there to start with?
Interesting wording:
&quot;The VIN# designates this car to be #48 .....&quot;
Old 12-10-2012, 02:42 PM

Thanked 1,116 Times in 328 Posts

Since my hobby is tracking down old owners/histories of cars - I may be able to add something to this thread. The Canadian guys should chime in also. I've imported &amp; owned a couple of Canadian BB Pace Cars. IMO, Canadian cars should be very desirable because of the rock solid GM documentation (it's like an NICB report that includes all OE options) combined with the Canadian ownership trail that follows the car. The last car that I purchased from Canada came with government documents that indicated the names, addresses, and dates of every past owner. The car was sold new in Quebec and later found its way to an owner in Ontario. The government documents followed the ownership between provinces. With this ownership trail in hand, it was easy to track down the old owners &amp; get statements regarding their experiences with the car. IMO this ZL1 car should show up at auction with complete ownership history (if the government policy of tracking previous owners hasn't changed in the past few years).
Old 12-10-2012, 05:54 PM

Thanked 2,130 Times in 666 Posts

#48 was not shipped from Norwood to Canada so there will be no record of it with GM of Canada.

I'm one of the people that was chasing ZL1s years ago. Despite many inquiries [including NCIC] by several individuals over a 10-15 year period no US registration was ever located for this car. Not completely unusual for the time-some states didn't title cars in those days, some registered cars by county. Dealers could sell a car on MSO to racers who may have never registered it.

As camaromb has stated cars with &quot;Canadian Docs&quot; have become suspect. Several people have copies of ALL CDN shipping records; cars are being re-created from virtually nothing.

Docs notwithstanding the car has to speak for itself. I am looking forward to seeing it at B-J.
RichSchmidt (04-30-2023)