Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Member's Rides

Old 11-06-2006, 04:55 AM

Thanked 5,346 Times in 1,875 Posts
Default Bill Stephenson's Beautiful 1966 Corvette

I'd like to thank Bill for sending me the wite up and pictures of his wonderful '66 big block Corvette. It's been a while since we've had a members ride...I'm still looking for more!

Bruce,
-----Sometimes it seems like Jan and I have had this 1966 Corvette our whole lives. In fact we have had it now for 28 years and it has become a part of the fabric of our lives.

-----I first saw the old car in 1975 running around Ft. Lauderdale pretty much as you see it in these pictures. I quickly found out that a friend who had moved his Corvette repair business from Binghampton N.Y. had brought it with him. I tried to buy it immediatly but a doctor offered more and I didnt see it for awhile. The car came up for sale a year later and I missed it again to another doctor. I remember thinking that if the car came up for sale a third time I wouldnt miss it again, and thats exactly what happened. However, by that time we had moved to Chicago so I could take a job at Classic Motors in Hinsdale Il. At the time the price was an astronomical $10,000, but Jan thought it was the most beautiful Corvette she ever saw and wanted it for herself. I had just sold her 67 coupe as I didnt want to restore it and we used that money as a downstroke and financed the rest.

-----I quickly rebuilt the suspension which had been badly neglected and returned the engine to stock as it had a set of aluminum heads and intake on it when purchased. We then drove it from 1978 until 1995.

----- An unfortunate run-in with a friends truck (minor) kind of forced my hand and a complete restoration was undertaken. I sent the car to one of my closest friends, Bob Zimmerman and he and another good friend Bob Sindelar did the bulk of the work over the next two years. It then came back to me and I reinstalled the completly original interior interior. To this day only the front carpet is reproduction!

-----Just after completion in 1998 Jan and I took it back to Bloomington Gold, a place it had visited many times while in our ownership and got the infamous B-Gold award. Since then its been back to B-Gold a couple of times to be in both the special collection and to be inducted into the hall of fame.

-----I naively thought that once we went through the torture (sic) of judging the car that we would use the car much more frequently, but due to my anal-compulsive nature this doesnt seem to be happening. I hate it but our child seems to spend just about all its time parked. I did get it out once or twice for a blast (up to about 110) and l love the car the same today as the very first time I saw it back in 1975. Hope you all like it...........Bill S

Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 11-06-2006, 07:59 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Bill Stephenson's Beautiful 1966 Corvette

Wow! Terrific car, neat story, and someone knows how to take a picture - nice back drop.

The Following User Says Thank You to mockingbird812 For This Useful Post:
olredalert (01-27-2023)
Old 11-06-2006, 02:00 PM

Classic Vette ....all the way.........Love those Knock Offs and the Gold Line tires......

Ken

The Best things in life......Aren't Things
Old 11-06-2006, 06:37 PM

Thanked 1,835 Times in 746 Posts

Bill, beautiful car.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:38 PM

Thanked 1,835 Times in 746 Posts

I must tell you that for years I didn't like Laguna Blue. I saw a poor example of the color at a car show in Chicago (1977 at Mancuso Chevrolet) and thought it the ugliest color in the world.
Then, years later I had an opportunity to buy a wonderful Corvette sight unseen. The only snag was that it was Laguna Blue. I was determined not to let the color get in the way of a car optioned out just the way I wanted. The Corvette arrived with its tan top and goldlines and I was sold. What a gorgeous color. The car received a Top Flight at Waco in 1998 and many Corvette folks there had not seen the color before.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I must tell you that for years I didn't like Laguna Blue. I saw a poor example of the color at a car show in Chicago (1977 at Mancuso Chevrolet) and thought it the ugliest color in the world.
Then, years later I had an opportunity to buy a wonderful Corvette sight unseen. The only snag was that it was Laguna Blue. I was determined not to let the color get in the way of a car optioned out just the way I wanted. The Corvette arrived with its tan top and goldlines and I was sold. What a gorgeous color. The car received a Top Flight at Waco in 1998 and many Corvette folks there had not seen the color before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tan top is super rare... only a few hundred got it...

Bill, Stunning example with excellent options!
a/c, power brake, wood wheel, gold lines, k-offs, leather, headrests...

-Dan
Old 11-06-2006, 11:49 PM

As always - a beautiful car Bill.
We missed seeing you guys at the last couple shows.
Wasn't the same at Boiling Springs without you and Jan.
Keep in touch man.
Jeff and Stella

Old 11-07-2006, 03:53 AM

Beautiful Corvette! I had a Stingray in the Hall of Fame the same year this Sting Ray was inducted. Awesome year and awesome option list.
All numbers match...something
New carpet and headliner
New AC system, blows cold in the winter
It ain't for sale so, don't ask
Old 11-07-2006, 07:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to mmcporter

What a gorgeous car. One of the nicest I have ever seen. Congrats!
Old 11-07-2006, 08:04 AM

You and Jan need to bring it West and excercise the air condtioning. See you at Barrett Jackson? If I can talk 'CARTGEEK' Jack out of his race carts, we can all go talk cars again !