Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Supercars/Musclecars-For Sale > Supercars/Musclecars-Sold listings

Please note

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2021, 11:55 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,154 Posts
Default 1962 Nash Metropolitan

I hope I am not violating any rules by listing my brother's truck, and now this Metropolitan. If I am, feel free to delete.

I have a client in his 80's who did a cosmetic resto on this car over 20 years ago. It has been stored indoors and driven sparingly; as in NONE the last five years. Gas smells stinky.
At the very least, the tank will need to be dropped and cleaned properly.

He recently sold his workshop, so they brought the car to his home, where it has been sitting the last few weeks in a car port. It is hard to say how straight the body is, and how nice the paint is, because it is covered in dust. However, from what I could tell, the body is really straight. I could not find a flaw in the paint; but again, hard to inspect under all the dust. Interior looks almost new, other than some dirt, and the obligatory starter fluid can and various parts and boxes on the floor. The only flaw I could find on the exterior was the passenger door handle that is missing a screw that will need to be installed from the inside. The handle has not been pulled hard enough to bend the sheet metal. I can't guarantee the threads in the handle are not stripped. I just noticed the screw missing.

It has not run in 5 years. One of his kids put a battery. It does crank. The engine is not locked up. The brakes hold (believe it or not.... I expected the pedal to go to the floor. It does not. However, I believe these had a hydraulic clutch, and there is no resistance in the clutch pedal, so it will need either the master, the slave, or both either replaced or rebuilt. He asked me to come and look at the car. I thought he was wanting me to get it running for him. I told him it would be a LOT EASIER TO market it running and cleaned up. He really does not care. I believe he REALLY wanted me to buy it. He offered it to me for $8,000, which I believe is a fair price. These engines are almost bullet proof. Oil is clean. I did not try to start it. He just wants it gone ASAP.

I love micro cars, and these are especially cool, weighing in at a whopping 1800 lbs.

If I didn't have so much going on, I would buy it, get it running and driving, clean it up and then double my money on it. Of course, one would be taking a bit of a chance on the engine internals. But I can tell you, it did not take much to turn the engine over by hand using the fan and putting tension on the belt.

I told him I would post and see if there is any interest. I also told him I would not charge him to come back and get it running (out of a gas can.... I don't have time to pull the tank and have it cleaned properly). I think most buyers are going to want to know that the engine at least runs. Maybe check compression. He said he didn't care one way or another. So, if the weather is nice next weekend, this may be my Sat. afternoon.

I tried to join a Metropolitan forum to gauge interest, but couldn't join without also joining Tapatalk (or taptalk... something like that) and had to give them a credit card info to keep on file. I just didn't want to do that.

If I get no interest, I will go over and see if I can get it running next week.
$8000 was the number he wanted. I don't know how firm. I won't take him an insulting offer. Like I said, he and his wife are clients of mine, and I like to see them taken care of.

If someone knows of a good AMC, Rambler, or Nash site that I can join without giving CC info, let me know. I would really like to gauge interest on such a forum.
Don't know why the first pic came out sideways. These were all taken with my phone, and I did not rotate any of them. I am getting too old for technology.
Attached Images

Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 10-17-2021, 10:11 AM

Is he and car in Oklahoma , Lynn. I love the old Mets.

69 SS/RS 396 M20 X22 Nor 12B,72B,712 bought 1979
FULL OWNER HISTORY
69 Dick Harrell tribute Day II 427 M20 4.10 X11 76 orig pnt, 711
67 Super Stock 302 Camaro re-creation
Old 10-17-2021, 02:13 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,154 Posts

Yes. Car is on the outskirts of Guthrie, OK. It is about 10 minutes from me and just a few miles off I-35.

I have a boat load of things to do at my shop this afternoon. Haven't done squat down there in a month, as Sherri and I have been focused on the fundraiser we just had for our museum project. But, before I head down there, I am going to try and find a decent AMC site so I can post on there.