Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 01-21-2020, 10:17 PM

Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Lillard View Post
If you look at that hood stop bolt on top of the cowl you can see the black was sprayed after the body color. You can see how the bolt blocked the black from getting on the orange that was already there. If the orange was sprayed second it would have covered the black that you can see in front of the orange side of that bolt. Make sense ?
Charley and everyone that offered input, thank you.
The most important thing for me is the originality of the car and paint. The term survivor gets used in many forms though I have always felt that in order to check that box, paint would be original from factory. Everyone has their own idea but that is mine. In terms of the car and the way the owner presented it I am now feeling that paint is original to the car or at least that is what I am gathering from Charley's CSI like observation. Going to put this together and try to get it done. Car is not perfect but I bet it is the lowest mileage 76 formula around, at least here in New England. Thank you all again for inputs, feel free to keep any thoughts coming.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:40 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,688 Times in 996 Posts

That looks like a great car to me and I hope you get it. Keep us posted.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:02 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

I second that. :-)

And don't replace the original falling headliner material. Just remove it, vacuum out the powdered foam residue, install a new layer of foam and glue the original vinyl headliner material to that. (I made that mistake on our '75 and regretted not reusing the original material ever since)
The Following User Says Thank You to njsteve For This Useful Post:
Tidmack (01-22-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 01:34 PM

Wow that’s nice. Master should be black, the headliners loose the foam behind a d drop. Easy fix. I think perf was in 76. ? Looks like a short hairy hose it there and little details like the seat belt tensioner are there. I don’t see the large red space saver inflator. I sent the link to a 76 bud, let’s see what he says. Lol. Nice car!
I have a nOS hub cap in the box like those. Are those hub caps rite fir 76? They look real fresh.

Last edited by Burd; 01-22-2020 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burd View Post
Wow that’s nice. Master should be black, the headliners loose the foam behind a d drop. Easy fix. I think perf was in 76. ? Looks like a short hairy hose it there and little details like the seat belt tensioner are there. I don’t see the large red space saver inflator. I sent the link to a 76 bud, let’s see what he says. Lol. Nice car!
I have a nOS hub cap in the box like those. Are those hub caps rite fir 76? They look real fresh.
He mentioned that the car was pretty much as ordered. The steelies and dogs are referenced on the order form so I would assume they are original though I don't recall seeing that config prior but I love the look. Appreciate the input.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Lillard View Post
If you look at that hood stop bolt on top of the cowl you can see the black was sprayed after the body color. You can see how the bolt blocked the black from getting on the orange that was already there. If the orange was sprayed second it would have covered the black that you can see in front of the orange side of that bolt. Make sense ?
Thank you Charley, that was my thought as well. The overspray is too identical to have been later in life, appreciate the CSI like eye you have. Working on putting the deal together thanks to all of the great input. Will keep you posted.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleone3 View Post
He mentioned that the car was pretty much as ordered. The steelies and dogs are referenced on the order form so I would assume they are original though I don't recall seeing that config prior but I love the look. Appreciate the input.
I saw a 75 I think it was and it has more 1/2 round. But that’s a year older. It would show pics in a 76 dealer album if you can get your hands on one. They are just may be correct. I actually had those on my 78. Everyone gave me so much crap I finally took them off. Lol.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsteve View Post
I second that. :-)

And don't replace the original falling headliner material. Just remove it, vacuum out the powdered foam residue, install a new layer of foam and glue the original vinyl headliner material to that. (I made that mistake on our '75 and regretted not reusing the original material ever since)
What about the holes? Wouldn’t you see the foam? Man you got me thinking I should have done that. I recently found a nOS package tray. I’m just missing the headliner
Old 01-22-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleone3 View Post
Thank you Charley, that was my thought as well. The overspray is too identical to have been later in life, appreciate the CSI like eye you have. Working on putting the deal together thanks to all of the great input. Will keep you posted.
My 78 has a black ugly stuff sprayed on the cowl, I think after the car was painted and after the ac box was installed.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:39 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

IMO.. after reviewing the paint process in plant the front end of the car looks very consistent with the over spray pattern for that era. Attached please find an image of a 9000 mile 77 Z-28 for a comparison of the tops at the cowls.
Attached Images