Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 12-06-2003, 01:38 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sYc Yenko
Default A car on eBay

Hi
I have seen a car on eBay that I like, But before I go to see it, I would like some oppinions please.
Thanks in advance

Clicky Cick [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 12-06-2003, 02:18 PM

Default Re: A car on eBay

Not sure what you're looking for out of the car, but speaking from my personal experiences, be prepared for the car to be not nearly as attractive in person as it is in pictures. It's really hard to judge the true condition of a vehicle from a few "Nessie" photos as my brother calls them, in reference to the fact that just like the Loch Ness monster, it seems that it must be impossible to get a good clear picture of any car we've really ever wanted to buy on ebay. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Also, just from an opinion standpoint, I've never seen a car look better in person than it does in digital photos. By nature, a digital image hides a multitude of sin, particularly in engine shots, where all the black seems to look really clean, when in reality it can look more like a train wreck, with dirt, grime, grease, and overspray all falling victim to the camera's ability to give a uniform image. A friend and I wasted a whole Saturday not too long ago driving to Erie to look at a '68 Chevelle SS396 that you'd swear couldn't be the same car I saw in the ebay auction photos. The car looked straight clean and very presentable in photos, even the underhood appeared for the most part to be clean and correct. After driving 2 1/2 hours to go see it in person, there she sat, one of the saddest excuses for a "restored" car I've seen in a long while. The paint had so much orange peel in it that you'd have to block it out with a file. You couldn't even wax this car, the nooks in the paint would just eat up the wax like an English muffin eats up butter. The engine compartment looked like someone took a black rattle can and stabbed a hole in it with screw driver, pitching it under the hood and slamming it down, letting the can spew it's contents on whatever it happened to come in contact with. I won't even mention the fist sized rust holes in the rear wheel tubs that had been patched with a gob of windshield butyl tape, or the sad looking interior that looked like it had been detailed with a can of WD40. Sarcasm aside, my point being, this car looked super in pics but was a pig in real life. I'm not sure what EN is an abbrevation for, but if you're in England and are considering making an international flight to go see this car I'd certainly think twice about it, or try my best to have a trustworthy friend check it out first and give an honest opinion. After the Chevelle experience, I don't think I'd ever by a car on ebay without seeing it in person, and like I said I don't know what you're looking for out of the car but from the looks of the funk I see in the photos, I think you'd probably be pretty disappointed if you flew thousands of miles to see it in person. Overspray hosed on the hood hinges, water logged rear door panels, curled up dash pad, the list goes on. These kinds of things are usualy only the tip of the iceberg. Again, don't wanna preach here, this is just my humble opinion. Also, that "hockey stick" stripe looks thick enough to be a goalie stick to me. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img] Anyone else have any similar experiences with this contast between ebay photos and reality? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/[/img]
Old 12-06-2003, 02:28 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,178 Times in 676 Posts

This might be a nice driver; there's waaay too many incorrect details for this car to be considered a nice original. Plus there are signs it was slapped together for a quick profit-what's with the red hood hinges? Also take note of what isn't said. No mention of this being an original L78 car or that the engine is original.
Old 12-06-2003, 02:32 PM

Thanked 1,657 Times in 486 Posts

So Erik I take it you didn't like that Chevelle? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2003, 02:55 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sYc Yenko

I never realy thought of it that way, But yea it makes sence.

Out of 90% of the cars i see on ebay, I'm like *Yummy*, I just guess its the digital camaras playin tricks on our eyes.

All a seller has to do realy is, Take a few nice pics with his new digital camra, write a nice description about the car, And walla, He has somthing people are going to be intrested in over the net.

Guess it can be so missleading,

Yea I'm from England, And I was in 2 minds about going to see it, I didn't realy want to go unless I could try and find out if it was worth me going all that way for.

Am very greatful for your help guys
Thanks
Nick [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2003, 03:16 PM

After reading his profile, I guess EN is short for ENcognito [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2003, 03:44 PM

That seller doesn't have very good feedback. I wouldn't risk the cost of going to see a car they were selling.
James
Old 12-06-2003, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All a seller has to do realy is, Take a few nice pics with his new digital camra, write a nice description about the car, And walla, He has somthing people are going to be intrested in over the net.

[/ QUOTE ] Exactly...and why would a seller go out of his way to highlight a car's shortcomings, rather than simply point the camera away from those areas. It's tough getting an honest feel for a car in pics.
Old 12-06-2003, 04:05 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,831 Times in 1,629 Posts

-------Just for starters,Kruse is in Indiana and the car is in Massachusetts. I guarantee that Kruse has never seen anything but the pictures either. I know of only one person at Kruse who would know a good Camaro from a basketball,and he doesnt have Kruse for a last name(and I actually hold him in quite high regard). Ill bet no one at Kruse even looked at the pics. They are an auction house with an E-bay arm,and there are many,many Kruse detractors out there. Personally,just because Kruse is involved I would bag this Camaro. Too many questions with barely any written description what-so-ever!...........Bill S
Old 12-06-2003, 11:13 PM

A deal on ebay with Kruse would have to be a gamble at best. Going on the feedback...almost 50 neutrals and over 50 negatives out of approx 675! That is the most negatives I have seen for any seller. I think I would have to pass [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/no.gif[/img]. Kevin