Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 05-29-2021, 08:39 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Need BMW brake recommendations

I know this is not a BMW forum but I assume some of you on here have owned, or do own, a BMW and I really value everyone's knowledge on this site.

My wife and I bought a used 2013 BMW 328Xi a few years ago and it has been going through rotors and pads like crazy. We'd bring it back to the dealer where we purchased the car and they'd replace the rotors and pads under warranty (as long as the mileage was under 6,000 since the last replacement). That in itself is crazy to me; to have to replace pads and rotors in under 6,000 miles is unheard of.
However, since the dealership was willing to do this we weren't too concerned although I continued to question why the car was going through these parts so fast; I never got an answer. I asked them if they were using cheap parts but, I was assured they were using genuine BMW parts (I have my doubts about that).

The car is beginning to exhibit the same signs as before, pulsing felt in the brake pedal when applying the brakes from speeds of 55 and above. The bad thing is it's been over 6,000 miles since the last replacement and, to be honest, I don't trust these mechanics. So I brought the car to my local mechanic who services my 2002 Corvette and my 2002 Nissan XTerra. He looked the brakes over and said they it could use new rotors and pads. He went on to say that the parts the dealership is using are cheap garbage. He suggested carbon ceramic rotors and a good set of pads. In my opinion, carbon ceramic rotors (if they even make them for my wife's car) are overkill. She's not driving autocross or anything like that; it's her daily driver for God's sake.

So, with all that having been said, can anyone recommend a good, affordable, brake rotor / pad combination for our 2013 3 series BMW?

Thank you
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 05-30-2021, 01:09 AM

Thanked 2,546 Times in 1,170 Posts

Between my brother and I we have bought 61 Bimmers over the years. I have 320k plus miles on my 83 745i turbo car.

I have tons of experience with BMW brakes, but not on cars newer then early 90s. I have had two 2000 MRoadsters, but never had to do brakes on either.

I hear lost of complaints from Bimmer owners about brakes and tires. Well, to be fair, I guess there are other things, but those two seem to be the most common complaints on the later models. Like I said, what I have to say applies to older models. I would EXPECT it to apply to the newer ones as well; but take it with a grain of salt.

I only buy Brembo replacement rotors for my cars. I am not talking about Brembo aftermarket brake kits; for old E28, E24 and E23 cars (the ones I have the most experience with) Brembo makes a factory fit replacement rotor, so I would expect them to make one for your wife's car.

If she does not drive aggressively, then I agree, ceramic is not needed. When I drove aggressively, I used Pagid HP pads; but they leave a hideous black dust that needs to be cleaned from the wheels weekly. I don't have time for that. Have not tried the ceramic ones.

For pads, ever since I got over trying to drive the car like a race car, I use PBR Deluxe pads. No brake dust. No noise, and still stops the car fine unless you are on a racetrack, in which case they will start to overheat. Street driving; no issue. I guarantee my BMW will stop as fast as my AMG SL55 in a panic stop even with the AMG massive rotors. My 745i was the first production car I am aware of with ABS.... the U.S. models didn't get ABS for two more years... even my 83 Ferrari 400i doesn't have ABS.
Dave Rifkin (05-30-2021), Xplantdad (05-30-2021)
Old 05-30-2021, 01:10 PM

Lynn, thank you so much for the very detailed response. I will look into the Brembo replacement rotors for her car as well as the brake pads that you recommended.
Old 05-30-2021, 06:32 PM

Dave
We had a 2010 X5 diesel for 10 years, dealer installed parts would only last 10-12,000 miles.
Switched to Zimmerman coated rotors and Raybestos ceramic pads and brake life improved dramatically. We have a lot of hills out here and brakes get chewed up faster. Any hills in Oklahoma?��
68 Camaro Z28,Corvette Bronze,Houndstooth
www.vancouverclassiccars.com
Old 05-30-2021, 06:37 PM

Canuck, I visited the BMW forum and one of the guys there also recommended Zimmerman rotors.

I priced the parts that Lynn recommended on the Parts Geek site and for the rotors (front and rear) and the suggested pads (front and rear) it came out to roughly $481.00; not including tax and shipping.

I'll price out the parts you suggested and see where that puts me. TBH I am not concerned about the price; within reason, I just want the brakes to last longer than 4,000 miles.

Once I get the brake situation sorted I have to work on getting BMW, or the dealership we bought the car from, to cover the replacement of these door lock actuators. I don't know how many times my wife has been locked inside the car; and no she isn't a blonde.............lol.