Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 02-07-2020, 09:21 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Rear End Housing Spring Perch Welding

Anyone out there ever have to have leaf spring perches removed and replaced on their rear end housing? I have a 67 Camaro 12 bolt that needs that fabrication done. Looking for a reputable shop in New England area that knows how to weld properly without overheating the axle tubes and set up pinion angle correctly. I'm in Massachusetts. Thanks.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 02-08-2020, 02:20 PM

Thanked 1,120 Times in 639 Posts

I've done several of them over the years. I've seen some bad welds on these, and I've seen axle tubes that were torn from hard use. I've had to straighten tubes because of welds, and I've seen some that just needed new tubes because they were just too bad to save. I haven't been able to make the welds look like the factory welds. Those welds were done hot and fast. I don't know anyone in your area, but you can send it to Moser and they will add the spring perches and get the angle right. I don't like the Moser perches. There are better ones out there.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:37 PM

Did you try Wzorek Automotive in Westfield? A buddy has used them for gears before. I have no personal experience with them

Scott
Old 02-09-2020, 04:43 PM

This is a job for a professional welder more than for a rear end rebuilder. It doesn't matter if the person doing this knows anything about rear ends. It's much more important that he knows about welding and what heat can do to metal. Getting them in the right location and the correct angle is just a matter of measuring. Remove the axles and brakes and plug the housing ends to keep dirt out. Take it to the best welder that you can find. These welds were done at the factory with a MIG welder, so you don't want them stick or TIG welded. These welds were put on hot and fast, so you don't want a cold weld. Heating and cooling the opposite side of the tubes can draw them back straight again if any warping occurs. If you have another rear end that you can take with you for measuring and appearance it will be very helpful for the welder.

Last edited by big gear head; 02-09-2020 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:25 PM

The repo multi leaf spring perches also need some grinding to get the angle correct, (unless they have improved them ) original perches are not 90* to the axle centerline , they kinda toe in a bit towards front of car, it’s a good idea like Freddie mentioned about having another housing to measure from.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:59 AM

Moser serviced my housing with welding new perches on them and didn't do a good job many years ago. Plus I'm not impressed with the Moser imported perches. Didn't notice or find out until I dropped the rear unto springs. Because they didn't have one of the perches welded at the proper 2 degrees off center the outside edge of the springs under the perch pocket were binding or rubbing against the inside wall of the perches. Plus one side where the perch is welded to the tube is leaking rear end fluid slowly if you can believe it. I am very familiar with Wzorek Automotive. He doesn't do welding but is excellent when it comes to setting up rear ends. Have to find someone with a jig or a experienced welder that's for sure. I do have a donor rear that I can remove the originals from and then clean up for welding. The 2 degree angle is important.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:20 PM

There are other after market spring perches that are higher quality. Tom's Differentials had better perches than Moser. I don't remember where Tom got them, but the holes were much cleaner and better looking all around.