Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Dick Harrell

Old 08-18-2009, 03:30 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: RogerD's 1969 Dick Harrell Chevelle

That car must have been beautiful when it was new; it's a shame someone had to paint it a different color and change the interior.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:39 PM

It was beautiful indeed!

The photo shopped picture (posted at the beginning of this thread on how the car looked in 1969) shows how my car looked the day I bought it new.
The SS hood and wheels plus the large Chevy crossed flags & one Harrell emblem on thed eck lid.
There were no SS emblems (other than the wheels) on the car . . .

Several friends around my home town (Plattsburg, MO) rode in this car, a few friends with (hot cars) saw the tail lights when we met for impromptu "drag races" at our favorite flat stretches (Hwy 33, a few miles South East of Plattsburg or Hwy 116 at the West edge of Plattsburg).

Last edited by RogerD; 03-08-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:03 PM

Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,139 Posts

Welcome.
By chance have you located the original Buildsheet from under the backseat,carpet or door panels?
Do you have any Bill Allen Chevrolet specific documents for it as well?
It looks like it coulda been delivered from the factory to Bill Allen Chev.as a Super Sport,before being sent to DHPC where it was doctored down,(SS body emblems removed),to be a "sleeper" of sorts and have the 427cid.installed,among other items.
Do you remember if the tail panel was blacked out when you got it?
Good for you for obtaining it back.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:43 PM

Is the rearend still under the car? If so, what is the code?

Thanks,

Jason
Old 08-18-2009, 08:14 PM

Original 12 bolt rear end with 4.10 positrack gears is gone - has a 10 bolt installed now . . .
Old 08-18-2009, 08:21 PM

Do not have a build sheet at this time . . .
Will pull the gas tank and rear panels when time permits to see if by some stretch one might be there . . .
Original front bench is long gone . . .
Posted a scanned image of the DHPC 'window sticker' and Bill Allen Chevrolet "Customer Invoice" in the previous pages . . .
Also have the original Owner Manual and 12/12 - 5/50 warranty brochure that were delivered with the car . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr70 View Post
Welcome.
By chance have you located the original Buildsheet from under the backseat,carpet or door panels?
Do you have any Bill Allen Chevrolet specific documents for it as well?
It looks like it coulda been delivered from the factory to Bill Allen Chev.as a Super Sport,before being sent to DHPC where it was doctored down,(SS body emblems removed),to be a "sleeper" of sorts and have the 427cid.installed,among other items.
Do you remember if the tail panel was blacked out when you got it?
Good for you for obtaining it back.
Attached Images

Last edited by RogerD; 11-13-2020 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:00 PM

Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,139 Posts

I was just wondering if you had anymore then what you already posted,to show what it was assembled as from the factory,before being sent to DHPC.
Neat stuff for sure.
Check under both backseat cushions too,as most Kansas-Leeds assemblies have had their buildsheets found there,secured with a hog ring against the springs.
Under the carpet,then both doors & rearside panels too,and even under the rear package tray speaker cardboard,while you have the backseat out.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:23 PM

That's great Roger. Congratulations on getting your car back. I can't imagine how excited you must have been when you found it. Which I'm sure took some serious research.

Sadly, since the interior is now a different color, the original seats are long gone. And at the least, if they were recovered, they most likely wouldn't have put the build sheet back.

Did your car come with the sleeper dog dish caps, or did it have the SS wheels on it?

All in all, very cool!
Old 08-18-2009, 11:59 PM

Roger,

I for one truly do hope your car is the real deal.....however, lots more to learn about it...and why?

I would tend to agree with.... Mr.70

"It looks like it coulda been delivered from the factory to Bill Allen Chev.as a Super Sport,before being sent to DHPC where it was doctored down,(SS body emblems removed),to be a "sleeper" of sorts and have the 427cid.installed,among other items."

OR most likely began life as an SS going down the assemble line....this explains the 72 72 code. Otherwise it would have been a - - paint code.

"Original 12 bolt rear end with 4.10 positrack gears is gone - has a 10 bolt installed now . . ."

You`ll either have to try and find a KK code 12 bolt case. Which are getting extremely harder and harder to find. Or find a dated 12 bolt and add the 4:10`s to it.

Or another guess, is perhaps it was born with a different gear set (3:31 or 3:55) and the 4:10 was part of the DHPC?

Many questions?

Dan.
70 Buick Skylark Post Sedan Burnished Saddle

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PM3DE8qI2NY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn4xEmGypUw
Old 08-19-2009, 01:22 AM

Dan - My car is the real deal, just missing a few (key) components - I will plan to restore it as GM built it and as modified by Harrell's shop

Bottom line, I have THE 1969 DHPC Chevelle I bought brand new on Aug 19, 1969 - today is Aug 18, 2009 - almost 40 years later on the nose
I know it's missing a few (key) components but it will make one heck of a ride for me & Karen even if it NEVER qualifies for the 'hall of fame'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My hat is off to Dan P (1968MotionL88) - he provided a VITAL bit of information that ultimately led to the successful tracking down of my 1969 Dick Harrell Chevelle!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postsedan View Post
Roger,

I for one truly do hope your car is the real deal.....however, lots more to learn about it...and why?
I would tend to agree with.... Mr.70

"It looks like it coulda been delivered from the factory to Bill Allen Chev.as a Super Sport,before being sent to DHPC where it was doctored down,(SS body emblems removed),to be a "sleeper" of sorts and have the 427cid.installed,among other items."
OR most likely began life as an SS going down the assemble line....this explains the 72 72 code. Otherwise it would have been a - - paint code.

"Original 12 bolt rear end with 4.10 positrack gears is gone - has a 10 bolt installed now . . ."
You`ll either have to try and find a KK code 12 bolt case. Which are getting extremely harder and harder to find. Or find a dated 12 bolt and add the 4:10`s to it.
Or another guess, is perhaps it was born with a different gear set (3:31 or 3:55) and the 4:10 was part of the DHPC?

Many questions?

Dan.

Last edited by RogerD; 11-02-2020 at 04:30 PM.