Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 06-14-2022, 06:21 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default DYI ceramic coating

Sorry folks ... guess I need to be clear with this ... need input for ceramic coatings on a vehicles paint/finish. I have another question for the panel. Can anyone suggest a DYI ceramic coating? Also, does this coating adversely effect vinyl stripes (3M brand)?
Thanks in advance
Craig

Last edited by earntaz; 06-16-2022 at 11:59 AM.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 06-15-2022, 02:59 PM
Banned

Thanked 1,487 Times in 609 Posts

Cerakote Coatings.

I've done it several times myself on headers and other items. Air cured is the easiest if you dont have an oven.

https://www.cerakote.com/
Old 06-15-2022, 04:04 PM

I'm a fan of the Cerakote also (doing front coils this weekend), but guessing the OP was talking about the new ceramic loaded clear-coats for paint protection?
Old 06-15-2022, 09:41 PM
Banned

Thanked 1,487 Times in 609 Posts

Probably so but FYI they do offer clears as well. Which I have samples of gloss & matte finish but haven’t sprayed them yet.

https://www.cerakote.com/shop/cerakote-coating?q=Clear

Last edited by cook_dw; 06-15-2022 at 09:45 PM.
Old 06-18-2022, 12:43 PM

So no one can provide feedback on using ceramic coatings on paint?
Old 06-27-2022, 08:59 PM

Thanked 1,694 Times in 728 Posts

This is a complicated subject as there are a multitude of "ceramic" coatings available for DIY'ers. Many contain varying amounts of "ceramic" which is not really ceramic but silicone as far as I can tell after looking at the ingredient list.

I've used the simple spray on Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic detailer (spray on) and Hybrid Ceramic Liquid wax (both the spray on/wash off and conventional liquid application/buff off) with excellent results.

To be clear these are not full on ceramic coatings but conventional products advertised as containing "ceramic" available at your local retailer for home use.

Dykstra Motorsports
The Following User Says Thank You to RPOLS3 For This Useful Post:
earntaz (06-28-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 10:34 PM

Thanked 3,755 Times in 1,592 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPOLS3 View Post
This is a complicated subject as there are a multitude of "ceramic" coatings available for DIY'ers. Many contain varying amounts of "ceramic" which is not really ceramic but silicone as far as I can tell after looking at the ingredient list.

I've used the simple spray on Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic detailer (spray on) and Hybrid Ceramic Liquid wax (both the spray on/wash off and conventional liquid application/buff off) with excellent results.

To be clear these are not full on ceramic coatings but conventional products advertised as containing "ceramic" available at your local retailer for home use.
----Yes, Jake,,,I am using Adams version of spray on and it also works really well. I, honestly, see these as just really superior detail spray. Met a guy that bought one of those 600 some HP cadillacs and he told me he had just paid $2500 dollars for some kind of ceramic coating. I almost burst out laughing, but contained myself. No coating that costs that much would ever be paid by me!.....Bill S

by me!.....Bill S

Last edited by olredalert; 06-28-2022 at 01:54 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to olredalert For This Useful Post:
RPOLS3 (06-27-2022)
Old 06-28-2022, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPOLS3 View Post

Just used the Meguiar's on the Nova appears to be slicker then snot on a door knob ...
Old 06-30-2022, 01:12 AM

I just got a quote from a local company to paint correct my Shelby, install PPF (paint protective film) on the front half, and then ceramic coat and thermal cure the entire car. $7200!! He does nice work, but YIKES!!!