Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 12-06-2009, 05:22 AM

Default Re: Worst buying or selling decision!!

Here is a funny{long}one.I cant seem to let go I guess.I first saw my firebird back in 1988 when a freind drove it into our high school auto shop class.I owned my 67 cutlass at the time.We all worked on the bird,and eventually it got sold to another friend of mine.I worked on it for him while I was cruising around in my 73 Camaro.He sold it to another friend and it disappeared for a while.Eventually we ended up splitting a garage,and the car sat along side my 73 Camaro for a while Eventually I gave up on finishing the Camaro and he wanted to sell the bird.I bought it and put all my stuff in it,that was back in 1994.I built it up blew it up and built it up some more,then in 1997 I decided to sell it.I put it in the want add and had no takers,but some guy wanted to trade me a really souped up GSXR 1100 drag bike,and I took the bait.He was getting marroed and his wife didnt want to be a widow so the bike had to go.I had the bike for 6 months and couldnt figure out if I liked it or not.The guy I swapped with called me one day and asked me something about the car,one ting led to another and by the end of the conversation we had swapped back.This car has become my signiture ride,and as much as I wished I had built my Camaro instead{Oh man the temptation to hang the Camaro metal on it}.I think I have a keeper here.The Camaro is turning into the project that never ends,but maybe someday I will relieve my youth in that car as a restored ride.

Here is the twisted part.Of all my friends who owned it the car only ran for about a month during all that time.I had a huge falling out with the first kid and in an act of revenge I poured a coffee can full of Speedi Dri down the carb one day during break in shop class.The engine ate itself up and the car was pushed around for the next 5 years.So in a way I was the car's demise and its saver.I guess this really is MY car.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:37 PM

SUSQ, Are you kidding me!..Traded a Goat Vert for a Pontiac Vega? Owe well, i heard that if you do some head work, you can get about 37 horsepower out of those babys!! And think of the fuel savings!(i had a 76 model for about a year..POS car!)
Old 12-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

I traded-in my 1990 LX 5.0 Mustang fastback and got 4500 for it in 1997. I had just been hired to fly for Airborne Express and I needed a reliable snow car QUICK. My Mustang had been lowered by Advanced Autosport in Oakland and they installed a Kenne Bell lower chassis brace, subframe connectors, strut tower brace, adjustable upper strut mounts (to cure Ford's annoying toe-out issues in those days), Eibach 1.5" lowering springs, and Koni shocks. With the mods I had already performed--stainless SSC headers, Hurst shifter, K&N filter, three-chamber Flowmasters, Comp T/As--it was better than a 911 and went around freeway cloverleafs like a raped ape and stayed flat as a pancake and the body had NO twist. I had bought the car new in 1990 and babied it and it only had 45,000 miles on it by the time I traded it in in 1997. Black/black too--a full black interior. It was a real looker. SO, in my haste to get hold of a good snow car for December in Ohio (at Airborne's training center) I had to trade it in on a new '98 Accord V6. They gave me 4500 and I took it with sadness in my heart. The Honda was great in the snow--still is--and it now has 180,000 miles and going strong. It is the perfect airport car. That Honda dealer probably flipped my car to a broker and someone, hopefully, wound up with it and is enjoying it today.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:47 AM

I had first refusal to buy my buddy's 69 GTX convertible. It was a gorgeous car, silver with black guts, automatic Hemi car. Roger had bought a new ski boat and needed the room in the garage. I was out of the country working but he said he would hold it for me. I told him to go ahead and sell it, he did....to a broker! He then bought a new Dodge 4 wheel drive to tow his boat. What the heck was I thinking?
Old 12-11-2009, 05:40 AM

Worst decision from a emotional standpoint anyway would be an all stock '57 2 dr. HT we purchased from the original owner in Monterey Park, CA back in the early 80s. All stock car that we eventually totally restored. The only Coronado Yellow / White top '57 2 dr HT I've ever seen. Sold it for $15,000 back in the early 90s to some collector from a Detroit suburb (Dryden?).

Wish I had it back along with many others along the trail.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:15 AM

Rich,

That's a dicked move. You sound proud of it. Way to play fair. Maybe someone will pour something down our carb when you get it finished.

Jason
Old 12-11-2009, 03:18 PM

Back in 82 I could've bought a buddy's '70 Hemi Challenger for the then equivalent of $7500 , what did I want with an old Dodge I was a Chevy man ...

Couple of years later I coulda bought a L72/4spd 66 SS from the same guy for around $10000 but didn't have the moolah at the time ...

Both cars are back in the US now .

Old 12-11-2009, 05:36 PM

Winter of 76-77, passed on a beat up 67' fastback 427 corvette for $4,500. The seller said it had some special engine in it, what's so special about an L88? I was leery of that new-fangled transistor ignition too, so I bought a 70' LS5 corvette instead, 454 vs. 427, bigger is better, right?
Old 12-11-2009, 11:38 PM

Supernova,the car has been done for 15 years.I did it because the guy blew out all the windows on my car,then lied about who did it.I blew the windows out of the car that belonged to the kid he blamed,then a huge fight broke out and me and the kid this clown blamed almost got thrown out of school.He was a punk,and he never drove the car that he spent all that time working on,and I told him to his face that I did it.

The sad part was that the car he blew the windows out of was a junk I was cutting up.The only reason I gave a crap was because he did it while the car was sitting in shop class and the teacher wigged out on me for making such a mess in the shop.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:57 AM

Thanked 2,378 Times in 752 Posts

Selling my 1968 LO23 Hemi Dart race car in 1988 and then finding out 22 years later it was Dick Landy's 1968 4-speed Hemi Dart!

https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/show...c=1#Post444686