Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Member's Rides

Old 12-18-2007, 06:12 AM

Thanked 5,349 Times in 1,876 Posts
Default Mike Wilkinson's (DaJudge) 440 -6 'Cuda!

1970 Plymouth 440-6, 4 speed, Shaker `Cuda

This 70 `Cuda has been rotisserie restored using many NOS parts throughout. It started life in the Evansville, Indiana area and was purchased new from KEM Motors.

This car’s history can be tracked back through copies of the title’s that are in my possession. So far I have tracked down the second or third owner. This car has 19,000 original miles as documented by the titles as actual. The mileage is low due to the car seeing some drag racing duty when new. The original engine is no longer present however a date coded factory 440-6 warranty block with the correct heads, carburetors, intake and other components are installed. The correct transmission and rear (3.54 Dana) are still present.

Backed up by it’s original fender tags and window sticker this `Cuda was ordered with the 440-6 pack engine, a pistol grip 4 speed, rallye instrumentation, rear spoiler, rallye wheels, front elastomeric bumper, (the rear elastomeric was added because it looks cool) and the rare N-96 shaker option

Although the car has low mileage it was drag raced and not stored correctly and it needed to be restored. The restoration was done to OEM specifications. Every nut, bolt clamp and piece has been re-plated to factory specs. The markings on the suspension were put back on the car as documented during disassembly. You will notice the correct charcoal primer on the original floors with blue over spray as done by the factory. Notice the black overspray that rolls down off the cowl into the engine compartment. All overspray was painstakingly replicated so that this car’s restoration although still over done most closely represents how it appeared when it rolled off the Hamtramck assembly line.

Thankfully my `Cuda was wearing it’s original rust free sheet metal and tired original paint before restoration which made for a relatively easy task of prepping the body for paint. Once the body was completely stripped to bare metal and prepped for paint the Blue Fire Metallic (EB5) paint was applied using a two stage process.

While the body was being completed the engine was sent out to be freshened up. It was balanced, blue printed and dyno-tuned using original six pack rods, crank and pistons. The 18 spline hemi trans was rebuilt using NOS internals. The Dana rear was rebuilt using an NOS ring and pinion. While this was being done the stainless trim and all bright work was being re-plated, polished or purchased. The interior is completely redone in the correct fabric and colors. Every component was rebuilt refinished in it’s correct hue and finish and was set aside to await reassembly.

Everyone here knows me as a diehard Pontiac guy. I have always wanted a Shaker `Cuda and when this car became available I just had to have it, it runs and drives just like a new car with no wind noise or rattles which is very uncharacteristic for an E-body. When Spring rolls around hopefully I will see some of you at a few local and national shows.

Mike

Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 12-18-2007, 03:41 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts
Default Re: Mike Wilkinson's (DaJudge) 440 -6 'Cuda!

That is sweet. I love those Mopar colored interiors. So much more personality than plain old black. Looks like an angry, giant blueberry!
Old 12-18-2007, 04:31 PM

Beautiful car Mike!
Old 12-19-2007, 02:54 AM

Nice one Mike. She's a beauty. That EB5 is very cool. Restoration looks terrific. Got any pix of the pistol grip?

Old 12-19-2007, 03:32 AM

Being a "Diehard" G.M. guy.......If I ever had an accident and bought a non GM product.......A 'Cuda would be first on the List.............."Nice Car"

Ken

The Best things in life......Aren't Things
Old 12-19-2007, 04:26 AM

+++ Mike +++ Really sharp car, great story, and love the Fantastic Blue color, Thanks for sharing...Kasey ..
Old 12-19-2007, 05:29 AM

WOW Mike Beautiful Car,great job
Old 12-19-2007, 05:17 PM

Sweet car
Old 12-19-2007, 06:15 PM

Mike,

That 1st shot of yours in front of the garage is spot on quintessential muscle car. You nailed it. The stance of your car is beautimus! Short deck/long hood/distinct coke bottle haunches and, oh yeah, "ram air" induction protruding thru the hood. Howz 'bout a few more photos?

Does she do this very well?

Old 12-19-2007, 07:17 PM

Nice Cuda!!! Killer paint job also!!

Rich