Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > COPO - United States

Old 10-27-2013, 08:38 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: ZL1 # 48 coming to Barrett-Jackson

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BJCHEV396</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: iluv69s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">no resewrve so i assume it sold?? How much??? just curious?? </div></div>We'll know next weekend. </div></div>

OHH... [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img]

Thanks
Old 10-29-2013, 02:32 PM

.. please correct me if I am wrong on the details, I am going by memory here...

The BJ/ Reggie car sold for 260k if I recall. That was 'supposedly' nothing but an original VIN attached to another body, etc.

more recently an admitted 'rebody' sold for 450k I believe.

No-nonsense cars seem to sell for North of 600k

This car??? I wonder if someone is going to take a chance ??

It is a shame if the car is the real car and the owner did not do more to prove it here.

It is more of a shame lf it is not the real car, and somoene pays more than clone value for it.

Actually, if it is not the real car. it is totally illegal and only worth its value in parts. I wonder if the new owner will take the effort to prove the cars dates and numbers either way.

and if it is not real, what if the real car shows up??? just saying..?? there are apparently now atleast 2 cars with these numbers...

I hope it is real and another one is saved !!!! what day is the car being sold???
Old 11-03-2013, 04:44 PM

I figure most people know the car sold for 162K.I think the new owner made a good investment.Unless you find another ZL1 in a barn,the only way you are going to get a deal on one of these cars is to stick your neck out on a deal like this.Real or not this car will sell in the future and the seller will make big money.The only way I could see this not happening is if another #48 car shows up and is proven without doubt that it is the real one.
As far as the current situation,I think the owner just gave up and decided to blow the car out.Maybe he decided to stop posting because things were snow balling and just getting worse.He did well on this deal and so did the buyer.Hopefully in the mean time the car will be prove real and the next owner will also do well.Jusy my .02.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:53 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZiggyL78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I figure most people know the car sold for 162K.I think the new owner made a good investment.Unless you find another ZL1 in a barn,the only way you are going to get a deal on one of these cars is to stick your neck out on a deal like this.Real or not this car will sell in the future and the seller will make big money.The only way I could see this not happening is if another #48 car shows up and is proven without doubt that it is the real one.
As far as the current situation,I think the owner just gave up and decided to blow the car out.Maybe he decided to stop posting because things were snow balling and just getting worse.He did well on this deal and so did the buyer.Hopefully in the mean time the car will be prove real and the next owner will also do well.Jusy my .02. </div></div>

now my .02

you are correct that if buyer bought this car to resell, this is probably a good investment...maybe a great investment...assuming the buyer/future seller has no conscience. But, I suspect that the buyer had no clue about the issues associated with this car.

I would be very nervous if I were the seller because apparently atleast one other car has the same VIN numbers as this one...but I assume if the seller did own both cars at one point, the 'first' number 48 is no longer around.

And if the buyer is made aware of the issues with the car now and turns out to prove these issues true...then what for the seller?

I dont believe we are done hearing about this car.

After this sale, I am waiting for the 5 Canadian ZL-1s that were all registered the same day to come up for auction soon !!!

Still hopeful the buyer hit a jackpot !!!!! And another real car is saved !!!
Old 11-04-2013, 05:07 PM

If seller owned both cars, why were the wrong trim tag numbers shown? A lot of mystery here. If I was the buyer and didn't know about this info, I would be wondering why it was such a deal.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:02 PM
Banned

The seller never was able to figure out the real body number for ZL1 # 48.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:47 PM

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,140 Posts

Keep in mind too that it's not impossible the buyer and seller could be the same person/group?
Not specific to this car and situation but faceless phone bidders can sometimes be shill bidders and/or sellers buying their own cars when final bids in are too low.
Obviously shill bids are illegal and unfair too but surprisingly it's not uncommon at major auctions, nothing wrong with anyone buying their own car back though especially considering the current trend of no reserve auctions.

Being we haven't seen enough here to be conclusively certain of anything regarding this car being referred to as ZL1 #48, we can't really call it anything other than suspect for now can we?
Again it's too bad the seller didn't present all facts/details here first as if all was just it most likely would've sold for waaaay more?

Considering recent values of any reputed ZL1's including some w/ murky details, has having cars lost in a haze of rebodies and hokey tags/paperwork/history simply become accepted now...even fashionable?
Does being the first to exibit a car to match a ZL1 identity somehow make anyone the keeper of that identity regardless of right/wrong or their example containing even one single component of the original car?
If buyers are willing to pay big $ for a collection of parts and a claimed ZL1 identity it won't be surprising to see a few more appear before the dust settles and 'available identities' are all used up?
What's interesting is of the few identities left 'up for grabs' some still have legal owners/insurance co's that can lay claim to a car bearing that identity so affixing #'s to a collection of parts and restoration costs is a risky venture that could quickly backfire?

Back to the regular show!
[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
~ Pete
Old 11-05-2013, 03:16 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Billohio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If seller owned both cars, why were the wrong trim tag numbers shown? A lot of mystery here. If I was the buyer and didn't know about this info, I would be wondering why it was such a deal. </div></div>

Correct me if I am wrong... photos were posted here by a member of a body that was apparently at a body shop to be restored. This body had incorrect dates and body piercings to be the real ZL-1 in question.

A friend of owner came on and stated that the car in the photos was not the real ZL-1 that his friend owned and posted photos of another body and a 3 x 5 card with the body number off the cowl tag from his friend's car written. This body number was incorrect for the ZL-1 in question.

Now the car at the auction has an admitted fake cowl tag with yet another incorrect body number for ZL-1 number 48.

I guess my question is, who owned the car at the body shop???

... and thank God the body numbers are secret and not in order !!!
Old 11-05-2013, 03:28 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PeteLeathersac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does being the first to exibit a car to match a ZL1 identity somehow make anyone the keeper of that identity regardless of right/wrong or their example containing even one single component of the original car?
If buyers are willing to pay big $ for a collection of parts and a claimed ZL1 identity it won't be surprising to see a few more appear before the dust settles and 'available identities' are all used up?

~ Pete </div></div>

So does the 'owner' of the 5 Canadian ZL-1s that were registered the same day have any value if he just sold the title? The so-called rights??

This could get uglier... [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2013, 12:11 AM

This:

Certainly didn't come from this: