Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 12-13-2020, 05:30 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default YOM Plates

The times I have gone to the CA DMV to use the YOM procedure, I HAD to have both plates. I had to have them with me for inspection, and they had to be made of steel. IF they were steel to begin with... They took both plates to a back room and made photo copies of them, to prove there were two. It just so happened that both of my plates looked very close { NOT to me } so the picture I sent in for the YOM did not pass. They thought I photo shopped the same plate in next to the other. So I drove to the Napa, CA DMV with both plates. The picture went through the system and I got the registration and stickers in the mail in about 2 weeks. I was also told it was illegal to have a 3rd party make a plate to match. As we have all found out, there are many single plates out in the world. That new plate making program looks nothing like originals, don't like it. ... Danny
The Following User Says Thank You to dannystarr For This Useful Post:
PeteLeathersac (12-27-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 DANA View Post
Warren - check this out. You can get "new" black license plates or your original ones "replaced" from California DMV...under the option of "1960 LEGACY" ....see the links below.

I hope this helps....

https://instamotor.com/driving-tips/...license-plates

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/vehicl...icense-plates/

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/ipp2/initSeq....quential+Plate

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/uploads/2020/06/reg17.pdf
Those are interesting plates!
Old 12-14-2020, 10:38 PM

Thanks to all that chimed in with info for me to digest.

Just thought it would be nice to have a matching plate that the Z/28 had on it when new. Been thinking about this for over 25 years.

Do not think I would go the route of the reissue black plates from California as from what I have been told, they are not exactly the same. Also, I would have to register the car in California to receive them and that is not going to happen since I live in Connecticut.

I think I will just pass on a reproduction plate and be happy I have one original.

- Warren
Old 12-14-2020, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsteve View Post

I used them to get the "TV-77" 1971 New York plates for my grandpa's 1971 Lincoln.
Steve, is the gold on the car the special anniversary gold that came on Lincolns that year? I forget the name of it.
Old 12-16-2020, 11:37 AM

Not the same thing, but I have an NOS 1969 Dealer tag from Tennessee. I never got around to it, but I was planning to register a current issue vanity tag with the same number as the NOS one. Then use the NOS tag on my car, with the real tag in the trunk, in the event that I got stopped. Not exactly legal, but I figured I would not get in trouble.
The Following User Says Thank You to Unreal For This Useful Post:
PeteLeathersac (12-27-2020)