Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 05-23-2019, 01:37 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,154 Posts
Default Paypal wanting copies of documents

I have used the same paypal account for about 17 years.

Someone sent me $50 recently. I have never had to "claim" money, but the message from paypal says I need to claim it. When I try to claim it, it says I can transfer to my bank for a fee. Don't ever remember a fee to send money to my bank from my pp account.

The other option is to leave it in my pp account, which is fine with me, as I am sure I will spend it in a day or two. But... to do so, they say they need additional verification from me. Although, they just debited my bank account for $658.75 for a purchase, and they sure didn't need any further "verification" for that.

They want a pic of the front of my driver's license. OK, no big deal. Then they want a pic of my SS card (which I haven't had since it got washed in 1971. Left it in my jeans.

In lieu of that, I can send them a copy of the front page of a "third party prepared tax return" to verify the last four of my social. I am not willing to give that up for two reasons. I do my own taxes, so I don't even HAVE third party prepared return. And secondly, it is none of their f'ing business.

I am nowhere near the threshold for money received for them to need to report (something like $20k). I don't actively sell much, and any big ticket items I do sell are not done through paypal. Why would I pay 3% on a $1000 transaction when I can just take a check for free?

Anyone else dealing with paypal issues?
Old 05-23-2019, 01:46 AM

Go to the paypal web site. DON"T go there from an e-mail link. If it's for real, there will be evidence of it on your paypal page.

This isn't rocket surgery.....
Old 05-23-2019, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brown View Post
Go to the paypal web site. DON"T go there from an e-mail link. If it's for real, there will be evidence of it on your paypal page.
I agree. I NEVER link from email. In fact, when I get one of the many bogus "paypal" emais. I delete without opening it, then go to PP home page and log on to see if there is really a message. I get about 3 a month.

This request is on my Paypal page after logging in. I know it is paypal, because I always check my recent activity and it shows my last two transactions where I sent money to a friend, and where I paid for goods.

I simply do not believe they can guarantee there will never be a breach. It just happens too often, Target, Equifax, Face Book, etc.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:21 AM

Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,139 Posts

You should be seeing 2 options to transfer a payment to your bank.
One is direct deposit,(Rather new),that is instant & charges a fee.
Another that is not a direct deposit & takes a few days...that is the original & older way & is still free.
They sent an email notice about 18 months ago or so to all who use Paypal that they were now going to start charging a DIRECT DEPOSIT fee,if you want to touch the money quicker.
The old slower deposit way is still free today.
If you're not seeing 2 options after you click on Wallet,contact Paypal.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:48 AM

Did paypal mess up your email when they sent the buyer an invoice?Have your sold anything else after the sale?

I had that happen to me this year and seller kept saying I was a non paying bidder, but all I wanted to do was pay the seller. When I see that message, I think that the buyer was sent wrong email address and the funds were really not sent to seller. {YOU} Pay Pay should be instant...not to be claimed.

Dave
67 Nova Boy
Old 05-23-2019, 02:59 AM

I recently transferred money to my bank account under the "old way" and the money transferred rather quickly, I think a day or so. I would recommend this over the other with a fee.

Rich
Old 05-23-2019, 03:14 AM

That sounds like a scam. ive used paypal since its inception and they have never asked for my drivers license and especially a ss number. I would give them a call.

There is a new scam on drivers licenses so be very cautious!
Old 05-23-2019, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvss1 View Post
That sounds like a scam. ive used paypal since its inception and they have never asked for my drivers license and especially a ss number. I would give them a call.

There is a new scam on drivers licenses so be very cautious!
I totally agree Lynn...

Rich
Old 05-23-2019, 03:42 AM

I sent them a message via email. Told them they are not getting any tax docs.

Will let you know what I find out.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:03 AM

I just had this happen, but it wasn't following a link. Tried to get into "wallet" to check my balance to make sure it was posted...never could. There's a big box still stating I need to claim the money, although it showed on the history as received?? Just tried to log into paypal and got a message from my computer "failure". So I guess I have to call paypal and have them spell it out for me.