Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 11-26-2019, 02:56 AM

Thanked 1,990 Times in 637 Posts

I don't think anyone up there will miss an 81 Z28 Canuck. I had to get a Canadian Z28 since we couldn't get 4 speeds with a 350 in the US in 81.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:30 PM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts

I know US Customs has some kind of allowance for a current CDN owner to drive their car to the border, and perform the sale with a US Citizen to take place and be exchanged at the border, but there are all kinds of other things that come into play such as both parties being present at the border. Some US states require a 30 day cooling period while titles are put into place, some won't allow a foreign car to be titled or tagged where they can immediately be driven, and some states do. For example, Montana will not allow it to be driven through the state if just sold from Canada, but Idaho will.

There is also a lot more to the paperwork now required for customs. Last car I sold, I was told they had to complete a lot of additional paperwork pertaining to emissions and the whole sort. All I'm saying is to double check with USBP and Customs before he drives it across and you go all the way there to pick it up. If the paperwork and prior intention to sell the car at the border is not fully disclosed by the seller, it becomes an illegal activity to complete on either side and can leave the car impounded if you don't dot the I's and cross the T's. Make sure he is informing customs of his plans before you go there to try and pickup the car and make sure all paperwork is filed in advance by the customs broker you are using.
carnut4life (11-27-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 05:11 PM

I imported a G8 GT from Canada. An AU built car. All I had to do is get a Letter from GM stating that the car met the US EPA and safety regs.
It met the EPA regs. But the safety issue was the rear view mirror had an airbag ON symbol instead of AIR BAG ON read-out. I just changed the mirror and with the correct vehicle sale paperwork from the Provence I purchased the car from I was good to go at the border.

As for an older car I would contact Wilma for his insight.
09 Pontiac G8 GT Premium,Sport,Roof. Liquid Red.