Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 07-17-2017, 03:13 PM

Default New Information on the whereabouts of Grumpy's 68

O.K. I finally have info including photos on and the timeline and travels of Grumpy's 68 and it is not the car in PA. I contacted the last known owner who sold the car in around 1980. He gave me tons of credible info on the car.

First,there was a short ownership history up to the point when he bought it. Second, a short time before Heavy's death Heavy authenticated the car via old pictures. The previous owner that I spoke to put a fiberglass nose on the car and still has the original steel fenders with the white and orange paint under the paint job that was on it when he owned it. He raced the car in Modified with a super high rpm small block and automatic transmission. The car was already backhalfed at the time. That is the way it was when he sold it. He advertised the car in National Dragster and sold it to a guy who lived in Tennessee I believe near the Kentucky border. He said that he delivered it to a garage that was at a company that had very large excavating equipment. From his description it sounds like it was a mining company. The new owners were not made aware of the car's history.

I spoke with this owner and he was not really looking to go any further with sharing information. He said that a few years back he hired an investigator to try and locate the car but nothing was never found. The guy is on Facebook and is still heavily involved in racing,basically still high strung comp cars. He claimed that he didn't want to get involved with people who were discussing the car on the internet because most of those people were totally confusing things and aggravating him. I got his contact info from Dan P. and as some of us know Dan P can be very intense sometimes and can chew your ear off about things until your ear turns red. The up side is that Dan has a lot of info on some of these old cars and what he has is fairly correct. Maybe some people here are familiar with this situation. For those who may have gone down this road I will just leave it at the man that I spoke to was named Joe and he was from the Belleville New Jersey area. I don't want to give out any more of this man's info.

I am going thru my photos to round up as many as I can and am going to post them here. I ask that anyone with any info contact me rather than the previous owner that I spoke of. I say this not because I am looking to make a buck,but rather that I would prefer to sift thru and organize the information before presenting it to him since I think he might not be receptive to getting a lot of contact from people who have the same or slightly different stories that might not be of any help to him. I would rather wait until we as a group have gone as far as we can before contacting him. Now I will go looking for my pictures.
The Following User Says Thank You to RichSchmidt For This Useful Post:
JBX22 (07-19-2017)
Attachments - The Supercar Registry $$aathumbnail_GT4.jpg $$aathumbnail_GT4-4.jpg $$aathumbnail_GT4-3.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 07-17-2017, 04:02 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,139 Posts

I think you're taking the right approach on this.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:17 PM

Last edited by RichSchmidt; 07-17-2017 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:53 PM

I know all about Dan, but will say he is a nice guy and will help when he can. He sure knows how to ferret out info.

Rich
Old 07-17-2017, 10:34 PM

Rich, you probably have this...got these picts of GTIV last year from Doug Boyce, author of the Grumpys Toys book, picts from 1980
car was in KY, then sold to GA, believed back in PA, and yes, it is NOT the camaro being paraded by those '2' in PA
Attached Images

Last edited by 300deluxeL79; 07-17-2017 at 10:41 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:56 AM

Yup,that is the car and pictures that I was looking for. I never heard of any info after the car went to Kentucky.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:57 AM

I think I might have been the one that sent Doug these pics.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:03 AM

Haha Dave,you mean the real Grumpy's toy 4 wasn't a 67 Camaro that started life as a Bolero red car that was supposedly the first Z/28 and also originally belonged to Penske? You mean that the real Toy #4 wasn't a yellow with black interior 68 Camaro that came from the factory with an L89 aluminum head 396 engine? LOL. You mean to tell me that this car that has been always regarded as the real deal and is here wearing SRD stickers and SRD spark plug holders on the firewall is actually not legit?Let me know what you have heard about the car being back up North. I would imagine that if the current owner knows the history it would have been restored by now.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:27 AM

lol, that's the one Rich, the 327 4spd '67 lol.
Doug had mentioned it possibly had gone back to PA, when he sent those pictures.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300deluxeL79 View Post
lol, that's the one Rich, the 327 4spd '67 lol.
Doug had mentioned it possibly had gone back to PA, when he sent those pictures.
I will have to hit him up for more info.
The Following User Says Thank You to RichSchmidt For This Useful Post:
L16pilot (07-18-2017)