Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Mopar

Old 02-23-2017, 12:36 PM
Banned

Thanked 1,490 Times in 610 Posts
Default Re: "The Beater Bee" becomes "The Better Bee"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Woj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Darrell, where the heck do you keep coming up with these images. LMAO!!

Phil. </div></div>

Im kidding... Im a nobody turdball..

Last edited by cook_dw; 03-16-2017 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:20 PM

Awesome job Dave....Well done on the fender tab, been waiting to see one done correctly!!!! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/worship.gif[/img]

BIG

Old 02-24-2017, 11:16 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cook_dw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> </div></div>

Chaz wants to crash a funeral and eat a big plate of meat loaf.... LOL...

Dave, car looks awesome.. You are very talented.. Nice work!!

Rich
Old 02-25-2017, 09:39 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Thanked 4,576 Times in 1,137 Posts

Glass arrived yesterday.....Grille and tail panel next week....Dash bezels should be here Wednesday too, then I can get the dash installed and the glass done! Fingers crossed no more busted glass this time [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/thumbsdown.gif[/img]

I sat down and added up all the receipts I have for the Bee and let's just say......Why does anyone restore these things!?!?!?!?! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/frown.gif[/img]. Because they're so much freakin' FUN, that's why!!!!!!! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]. What else are you going to spend your hard earned money on, anyhow?

Pics next week!

Cheers [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]

Dave
Old 02-28-2017, 10:52 AM
Yenko Advertising Member

You know? I reflect back on the whole build and think to myself, &quot;Self? Wouldn't it be cool to have a few photos of me working on the car?&quot; And then I answer myself with a &quot;Yes...yes it would.&quot; And then I realize I do! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] Sort of puts the whole build into a more Quick Pick, 1hr photo, Instant Breakfast, Reality TV world we live in now. I thought putting in the door glass would be another great opportunity to get some action photos. As you recall, the original shattered into a bazillion pieces after some inappropriate persuasion in the front vent window channel. Here's some of my favorties of this monumental occassion.......
Below is the Taping of the Door.....almost like Taming of the Shrew, but having nothing to do with it. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img]

Up next is an action series!! I'll never forget this moment....I was inside the door, connecting up the regulator, and as you can see, it's getting pretty intense!

Oh, and here you can see me adjusting the vent window to set the declination and inclination of the vertical axis....

...And a great shot here! So much detail can be seen in this one. I really hope these detailed oriented, step by step instructional, and Assembly Manual-like photos help someone out who's adjusting the door glass. As you can see, it's a tough job. Tough I tells YA!!!!

And the result....I'm happy to report the shuts exactly like it did before I tore the car down! And this time, no broken glass [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Dave
Old 02-28-2017, 11:03 AM
Yenko Advertising Member

It's interior time! Dash, seat, steering column...they're all here! I figured the first easy thing to do was to replace the headrest bezels and headrest on my already covered Driver's seat. I recovered this when I got the car, which......HEY!??!?!?! That was 3yrs ago to the DAY TODAY!!!!!!!! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

I'll install this later today since I have new seat riser spacers that just came in. They are 1/2&quot; thick spacers that go under the seat track and provide a thicker surface for the anchoring bolt to sandwich between the track and the floor pan.

New headrest installed with new bezels. The originals are OK, but they sort of lost their shape over the years and the chrome band around it is less than chromey.

Dash is up next, and I am able to use all of the dash pads! The center has some scuff marks that I'm going to try and repair. If I can't do it, that may be the only piece that needs replacing.

Glovebox installed with the correct &quot;4F OK&quot; stamp....which, if you think about it...doesn't 4F usually mean NOT ok? [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img] I'll get a better picture of the stamp on the next round of dash photos. Kind of hard to see with the flash.

New knobs installed. The rocker switches use drive pins, very very VERY tiny, pins that hold the rocker switches in place. It took several attempts to get them out and back in without scratching the new chrome plated, plastic, Chinese made rocker switches. Luckily, it all worked out. I'm rebuilding my clock right now with a quartz movement, so that's on another bench so I don't lose any of the parts. New dash bezels arrive Friday!!

Dave
Old 02-28-2017, 11:25 AM
Yenko Advertising Member

Steering column is on deck! The overall finish of the column is flat, or satin sheen and this is a textured coating. I'll replicate that when I paint it. The lower column bearing is in perfect shape! No play at all. Original turn signal harness part tag is still there. Also, all the tags on my harness under the dash have their original part tags installed except for one which I was able to buy.

Steering coupler is intact and never been apart! This, as most Mopar guys know, is about the biggest pain in the rear part to deal with. Instead of a regular rag joint, MaMopar decided to make this contraption with consists of a pin, two bushings, an internal retainer/spreader, a rubber seal with a metal retainer. I'm just wondering how this got approved by management? [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img]

Manager #1: &quot;Guys...we need to mate the steering column to the steering box. It's never been done before in the industry, so come up with something to do it. Thanks&quot;
Engineer #1: &quot;Hmmmmm. What do you think?&quot;
Engineer #2: &quot;Well...we could come up with a simple rag joint?&quot;
Engineer #1: &quot;Yes....&quot;
Engineer #2: &quot;OR...we could come up with something so outlandish nobody would believe that it's even feasible to use?&quot;
Engineer #1: &quot;I like where this is going.....&quot;
Engineer #2: &quot;OK, so we start by mashing a pin made of Impregnium through the steering shaft. So that way should anyone need to remove it, they really can't. Then, we'll add two bushing that go on either side and those bushings won't be regular shaped. Oh no. They'll be curved on one edge, slotted, and that'll make sure if this thing ever comes apart you really won't be able to figure out how it goes together. With that, we'll have those two bushings be held together by a retainer that, ....I know you're waiting for it..... won't hold the bushings together, rather, they'll spread they apart so they are about 1/4&quot; too wide to fit in the receiving end!!! Since you'll have to use your hand the hold those bushings together as they slide into the receiver, it's sure to make a complete mess of things. Oh, and we'll have this all packed with the goopiest grease you'll ever find, and sealed with a rubber seal coupled with a metal retaining ring that can only be crimped by a special tool nobody has, will ever see to make a copy of, or even think really exists, so that everyone uses vise grips and destroy/scrape/scratch the retainer body. How's that sound?&quot;
Engineer #1: &quot;When do we start production???&quot;

Dave
Old 02-28-2017, 01:06 PM
Banned

Thanked 1,490 Times in 610 Posts

Dave, I am amazed by this restoration.. Even the Clintons agree.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:37 PM

Dave,

The coupler was probably designed by the same guy that engineered the DC-9/MD-80 cockpit window opening mechanism. Sheesh.

Nice progress.

Phil
Old 02-28-2017, 04:18 PM

Did ya'll notice the size of that mouth?