Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > COPO - Canada

Old 04-06-2019, 04:22 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midyr View Post
This was just brought to my attention. Belmont was the highest volume new car dealer of any brand in Canada and delivered more COPOs than any other dealership. I know as I ordered and signed off on every one, along with Dave Mackay, confirmed by GM Canada. My daily driver for 3 months or so was Hugger Orange 638805, now in good hands in Southern Cal, with the odd side trip to Greece (really). Similar to almost all dealers, Belmont's sales files went into a landfill after a few years. I have Belmont butt end stickers for any current owner who need one.

Lance Hill
Thanks Lance, I would love to meet one day.

A Belmont dealer sticker would be nice for my scrap book.

Ryan W31

PS: you can see one of the cars in the picture is a 1969 Cutlass s and one a Supreme.

1969 Beaumont 350 Auto White Sold
1969 Beaumont 307 Auto Green Sold
1969 Chevelle SS 396-L35 Auto Blue Sold
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass 'S' Sports Coupe W31
Old 04-17-2019, 06:06 AM

Belmont was the start for me.I was a teenager fresh out of high school and my father promised me $400 for a downer on a car if I passed grade 12.I lived within walking distance of Gorries Golden Mile Chev,but everyone knew that if you wanted a fast Chev then Belmont was the place to go and Dave Mackay was guy to talk to.Dave was a great salesman and he knew his sh*t.He was the kinda guy that could read the back of a Corn Flakes box and you would think it was the word of God.He showed me a couple of cars and then something out front caught my eye.It was a 69 Camaro SS350 in silver with black interior and black SS stripes along the side.It had a 350/300 SBC 4 Spd with 4:10 gears.The SS wheels with the white letter tires really finished it off.OMG.It was friggin beautifull.Don't forget I was a green teenager who got excited just to drive the Old Man's 425 Olds.Dave took me for a ride behind the dealer.The car was dead stock so just cruising around was nice and smooth with the quiet exhaust.After all it was practically a new car.We started back to the dealer and pulled on to the street behind the dealer.Dave geared down and let her go.Damn it was fast for me.
It ran 14.40.Dave powered the gears like a pro.I was sold.He gave me a great deal and I couldn't get to the bank fast enough.

It seemed like an eternity before me and my dad went to pick it up.I remember I was shaking all the way there.We finalized the deal and I went to get in the car.My dad stopped me and said "I'll drive it home".Emoji When I first went to look for a car my dad said "and I don't want to see any Hot Rod or a fast car".Emoji When my dad saw the car for the first time,I couldn't believe he didn't realize it was fast.We drove to the highway and when we got on the on ramp my dad nailed it.The car put down 2 nice black stripes on the pavement and actually got a little out of shape.Oh sh"t.It's all over now.I was so close.I almost had it.I figured he was going to get off on the next exit and take it back to the dealer.Emoji
Surprisingly he didn't and we made it home.He didn't say a word and walked over to me and yelled "I told you nothing fast!"He kicked me in the ass and lifted me right off the groundIt gets better.Stay tuned.
PS.The first pic is a stock photo.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-storage-park...873346?dc=true

Last edited by ZiggyL78; 04-17-2019 at 06:38 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ZiggyL78 For This Useful Post:
PeteLeathersac (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyL78 View Post
Belmont was the start for me.I was a teenager fresh out of high school and my father promised me $400 for a downer on a car if I passed grade 12.I lived within walking distance of Gorries Golden Mile Chev,but everyone knew that if you wanted a fast Chev then Belmont was the place to go and Dave Mackay was guy to talk to.Dave was a great salesman and he knew his sh*t.He was the kinda guy that could read the back of a Corn Flakes box and you would think it was the word of God.He showed me a couple of cars and then something out front caught my eye.It was a 69 Camaro SS350 in silver with black interior and black SS stripes along the side.It had a 350/300 SBC 4 Spd with 4:10 gears.The SS wheels with the white letter tires really finished it off.OMG.It was friggin beautifull.Don't forget I was a green teenager who got excited just to drive the Old Man's 425 Olds.Dave took me for a ride behind the dealer.The car was dead stock so just cruising around was nice and smooth with the quiet exhaust.After all it was practically a new car.We started back to the dealer and pulled on to the street behind the dealer.Dave geared down and let her go.Damn it was fast for me.
It ran 14.40.Dave powered the gears like a pro.I was sold.He gave me a great deal and I couldn't get to the bank fast enough.

It seemed like an eternity before me and my dad went to pick it up.I remember I was shaking all the way there.We finalized the deal and I went to get in the car.My dad stopped me and said "I'll drive it home".Emoji When I first went to look for a car my dad said "and I don't want to see any Hot Rod or a fast car".Emoji When my dad saw the car for the first time,I couldn't believe he didn't realize it was fast.We drove to the highway and when we got on the on ramp my dad nailed it.The car put down 2 nice black stripes on the pavement and actually got a little out of shape.Oh sh"t.It's all over now.I was so close.I almost had it.I figured he was going to get off on the next exit and take it back to the dealer.Emoji
Surprisingly he didn't and we made it home.He didn't say a word and walked over to me and yelled "I told you nothing fast!"He kicked me in the ass and lifted me right off the groundIt gets better.Stay tuned.
PS.The first pic is a stock photo.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-storage-park...873346?dc=true
Hey Zig,

Good to know you are still out there. I won't let Davey see this or his head will swell.

Lance
Old 04-17-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midyr View Post
Hey Zig,

Good to know you are still out there. I won't let Davey see this or his head will swell.

Lance
LOL.Wait till I tell them about Rick Eaton.

Cheers
Old 04-19-2019, 01:05 PM

That was a good read Ziggy. Love a"close to the heart story" like that.

My last 69 RS Z/28 was a Belmont Chev car. Thanks again Lance for the Belmont dealer sticker.

Below are some pics of my car completed at the MCACN show as well as a few pics of it in its racing trim back in 1971 - 1973 when it was campaigned in and around Cayuga Drag strip. Forgive me for the sideway pics as I still have no idea to the correct this.

Paul
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CamaroNOS For This Useful Post:
Tracker1 (04-22-2019), ZiggyL78 (04-26-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 02:27 PM

Paul: By memory we met in person at your car at MCACN.

Great memories, great car, great dealership!

Ryan W31

1969 Beaumont 350 Auto White Sold
1969 Beaumont 307 Auto Green Sold
1969 Chevelle SS 396-L35 Auto Blue Sold
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass 'S' Sports Coupe W31
Old 04-26-2019, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroNOS View Post
That was a good read Ziggy. Love a"close to the heart story" like that.

My last 69 RS Z/28 was a Belmont Chev car. Thanks again Lance for the Belmont dealer sticker.

Below are some pics of my car completed at the MCACN show as well as a few pics of it in its racing trim back in 1971 - 1973 when it was campaigned in and around Cayuga Drag strip. Forgive me for the sideway pics as I still have no idea to the correct this.

Paul
Hello Paul.

Your car looks amazing!Definitely my favorite colors for a Z28.I am sitting here looking at the race pics and thinking I know this car.My first clue was B&T Auto.I was then trying to read the smaller lettering and saw Shimizu.So you bought this car off Jim Shimizu!Jim was a good friend of mine.I still can't believe he's gone.RIP Jimmy.We sure had some good times.Great to see the car and know that it is being taken care of.

Thanks for posting.
Zig
Old 04-27-2019, 09:20 PM

Ryan.....your are correct. That is where me crossed paths first.

Damn I like those MCACN shows.

Paul
Old 04-27-2019, 09:25 PM

Zig,

I actually bought it off of James and Cindy Copeland and they purchased it off of Jim. Yes......RIP Jim.

I spoke with Jim a lot in order to get as much info. as possible about the history of the Camaro. When he campaigned the car, he was quite wrapped up in all the action back then.

Would you have any old pics of his car?

What were you running at the time?

Thanks for the compliments.

Paul
Old 04-28-2019, 06:21 AM

Cool

OK.I'm not sure of the exact years when Jim was running the car.In 1972 you would have found me in Georgetown running my 64 Chevelle.It was a warmed over 327 4 Spd with 4:88 gears.That's why I didn't make it to Cayuga.I was lucky to keep up in the truck lane at 4500.I would go there along #7 were the gears worked out fine.In 73 I bought a brand new Vega Sedan Delivery which had the Chevelle's 327 in the beginning.That was car that really put me on the map as most guys with Vegas were just dropping V8s in them while mine was tubbed with 11.50 x 28 slicks inside the wheel wells.
Anyway.Glad to see you've got Jimmy's car and restored it properly.Not too many RS Z28s around.

Cheers Zig