Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Supercars/Musclecars-For Sale

Please note

Old 04-26-2007, 08:35 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: 1970 L78 NOVA SS 396 4-SPEED DOCUMENTED

Patience Please! Good explanations take a while to create!

My bet is with "JRSully", no response.

Growing old is a certainty, growing up isn't
Old 04-27-2007, 12:04 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An inquiry to the N.Y.State Dep't of Motor Vehicles concerning "restamping engine blocks brought this response..............
.................................................. .........................................
The re-stamping of an engine block by the dealer, as you described in your Email to us, is an illegal act.

Specifically, New York State Penal Law section 170.65 states: Knowingly destroying, covering, defacing, altering, or otherwise changing the form or appearance of a vehicle identification number on any vehicle or COMPONENT PART--such as an engine--is defined as forgery of a vehicle identification number, a class E felony, punishable by no less than 1 1/2 to no more than 4 years imprisonment.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:27 AM

In Response too all these gracious comments, I am chimming too set the record straight.1 In ref to miles I at no time certify the miliage to be actual and did not advertise it as such as I have only owned this vehicule for a year and no idea as to prier usage.All I did was mark what was on the actual speedo and this being a restored car not a survivor I considered miliage unimportant.2 About the engine this is not the first time nor will it be the last that an actual engine has been recovered. Ref too the auction RM in Toronto the car was on display for two Full days where thousands of people were invited to view and inspect the car thoroughly, which many people did.Yes we left Saterday after the car rolled, as we had a long ride home . This was an auction and not car show.Let me be clear '' No disrespect too you Nova guy;s, and this is a sweet piece ,but it is really nothing in comparison too my collection of High end Mopars and Pontiacs.My name has always been good and have no blemishes in over ten years of collecting and dealing in million dollar cars. I don;t need to ruin my reputation to make an extra $5000.00 to doctor up a Nova.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:41 AM

About the engine this is not the first time nor will it be the last that an actual engine has been recovered.
"Quote"

Please tell us the story behind finding the "Original" engine..........It always neat to hear these how these things happen..........

Ken

The Best things in life......Aren't Things
Old 04-27-2007, 01:53 AM

Gary, as the guy who started this mess for you, I would like a chance to reply. I know I have not seen this car since you bought it. I would like to point out that YOUR eBay add leads people to believe that this is a 31000 mile car, as it shows that there, and does not say anywhere that those might not be the correct or not? YOU printed the info such as "NONE FINER" and "BEST EXAMPLE OF ANY 70 NOVA SS IN EXISTANCE"? PERIOD!!!

Now that I do not, or will not want to get into, like I said, I haven't seen the car SINCE JIM OWNED it. And on that note, HE was told, or told us that the original motor had broke the block and a rod though it, and eventually scraped. Therefore this motor was built in it's place. Much like my '69 396/350 car with a '72 402 built to 375hp specs.

I don't know about the cowl tag and rivets, but I have been on your site, and putting the CONN plate on it even looks like your trying to pass it off as something it's not, SORRY. I just hear so much about this in this field, and if I can shed some light on this for someone who has no $$$ into this car, might let others see what the car is, or was.
'78 Z28 32,000 survivor, Og Yellow paint, AC.
'69 CANADIAN Nova SS 396/350 hp
'67 CANADIAN Nova SS 427 10 sec. driver
'66 CANADIAN Nova SS Race Car
'61 CANADIAN Pontiac Bubble top 409+/4sp (SOLD)
'31 ALL STEEL Chevy P.U. GONE (EX-WIFES NOW)
Old 04-27-2007, 03:50 AM

Dear BigG,

First, It seems I was 50% wrong in my previous post. I want to say I'm sorry and hope you will accept my appology.

It's great to hear that the car has been re-united with the original engine. I'm sure with your considerable experience with million dollar cars you knew to document your efforts in obtaining the original engine. The names and phone numbers of the past owners of both the car and engine and your conversations with them will be of great interest to prospective buyers. Signed and notarized affidavits from those same people and a receipt for the purchase of the engine on letterhead or a pre-printed invoice with sellers name and address are great documentation. This would create a fantastic paper trail and along with the build sheet and GM of Canada paperwork are great provenance for your car. I have emailed a copy of this thread to myself and suggest you might do so as well, to include as part of such history keeping.

I'm sure you were already aware of the steps I suggested. But I wanted to make sure those less familar with what to look for in their due diligence had some idea of the questions they would be asked when selling their own car.

If you would care to share the tale of obtaining the original engine with all of us, we would enjoy it immensely. It would also keep you from having to tell the same story over and over as you could provide a link to this thread or email a copy to those genuinely interested in purchasing your car.

Best Regards,

Howard Cox
aka "rubbinisracing"
[email protected]

Growing old is a certainty, growing up isn't
Old 04-27-2007, 06:28 AM

....and while you're explaining the engine retrieval, please explain how you saved a block with such destruction so our members can benefit from such knowledge. What kind of glue did you use?
Old 04-27-2007, 06:38 AM

Thanked 3,689 Times in 997 Posts

I didn't actually read what he said as having found the orig engine for the car. Let us please keep this civil.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:46 AM

Hylton...I wouldn't put a lot of faith in this statement either...cool looking car but it should be inspected by the buyer .Ultimately they have to be happy with the car.

[ QUOTE ]
And on that note, HE was told, or told us that the original motor had broke the block and a rod though it, and eventually scraped.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-27-2007, 07:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't actually read what he said as having found the orig engine for the car. Let us please keep this civil.

[/ QUOTE ]

Charley, this is the response to my asking if the car had it's born with engine:

[ QUOTE ]
About the engine this is not the first time nor will it be the last that an actual engine has been recovered.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the response implies he has recovered the original engine. Gary can clarify.