Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 03-12-2016, 08:44 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,872 Times in 1,002 Posts
Default I am looking for a qualified restoration mechanic

I got this pre-approved by Charley.

Due to a huge growth in restoration requests, my current workload and backlog of cars, I am looking for someone who is passionate about restoring Chevrolet muscle cars and one who would be willing to relocate to central Illinois. We are a small family run shop dedicated to restoring rare Chevrolets to the best they can be and do not cut corners and currently have 10 cars in the shop and another 3 waiting to come in. I have been unable to find local people who are passionate about restoring these cars and instead just find those who want mechanical jobs but could care less what they are working on and only watch the clock and their cell phone. If you are not passionate about these cars do not waste my time. We do not buy, restore and flip cars and only restore them for collectors who are also passionate about them and are willing to pay to have them restored correctly.

I already have a full time bodyman and painter but need a mechanic who can also do minor bodywork and paint such as frame and component restoration work though I can work around it if you do not have that experience. We do complete turnkey restorations so knowledge in every facet of the restoration process is a plus including driveline overhaul and upholstery. We are looking into moving into a larger facility very soon and would like to have this person on hand before that move.

I hope to retire in the next 10 years at which time you would likely take over the business. If you would like a change in your career or looking to get paid for your passion please email, call or PM me. You will remain totally confidential. Thanks Charley and SYC,
Rick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 03-12-2016, 09:21 PM

Default Re: I am looking for a qualified restoration mechanic

Rick, I feel your pain! I'm the only guy that is called "Mr. Numbers Matching" in our shop. I've been with this family business for 4yrs now. We argue like cats and dogs but get along like family. Kinda wierd for me, but they treat me good and I do the same for them. If you have ever seen some of my work on here, you will understand how passionate I am about the iron.
I am 36 and its hard to find good knowledgeable help. I dont know everything, but I do get asked a lot during the week.

Jed 69,70,71 Nova's 1955 Bel Air and a 69 Camaro.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:21 PM

Great opportunity to "inherit" a business with a fantastic world-class reputation and being apprenticed under some seriously talented people! Best wishes to you guys. You should have them knocking down your door so hold out for the best!

Old 03-12-2016, 09:36 PM

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

Too bad you're not in Jersey, I'd apply. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-12-2016, 10:23 PM

I don't know much, but I am pationate enough to make up for it............ Honey pack our bags Daddy is already out the front door:-)

This is an opportunity at a level I can't say I have ever seen before:-)

Please don't hire one of the reality TV stars as they will pillage all good things for vanity and fame, and cash:-(

Ryan

1969 Beaumont 350 Auto White Sold
1969 Beaumont 307 Auto Green Sold
1969 Chevelle SS 396-L35 Auto Blue Sold
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass 'S' Sports Coupe W31
Old 03-12-2016, 10:38 PM

To bad I live so far Rick,
I have told you over the phone I would love to work and help you on 70 Chevelle's everyday as you know it is my Favourite model.
I would have come out of retirement to work on these LS6 cars everyday. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] Good luck finding that special person.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:23 AM

ive been looking for a good body tech for 4 years...seems no one cares about cars as much as i do..or..they are idiot crybaby entitled spoiled brats that think they know whats up..or so stuck on themselves they cant imagine themselves working on old cars...too good to fix rust etc..been thru 11 guys in 8 years and they all have sucked..or i couldnt tolerate the crying...it gets old fast..ive even offered them a partnership if they work hard and prove themselves and dropped the hint,if they where good and loyal they would end up with the business..

theres a tech school in Kansas, in my territory that has a degree in restorations..ive heard about it..they have a big show every year and i am hunting for them..someone told me once but cant remember..its in parsons ks or somewhere like that...

they have placement programs etc..look for a younger talented kid and bring him up your way..and pray he doesnt run off after you invest some time in him..i will figure out who it is.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:38 AM

I am sure you will find Mr. RIGHT [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Dan
70 Buick Skylark Post Sedan Burnished Saddle

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PM3DE8qI2NY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn4xEmGypUw
Old 03-13-2016, 06:38 PM

Thanked 3,872 Times in 1,002 Posts

I have found Mr. Right several times but cannot convince him to move the short distance south and give up the rat race of the big city........ [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]

Speaking of reality shows, it will NEVER happen as we do NOT want that drama in our shop. I have been contacted twice by two differenct production companies in the last year to do reality shows. That make three in the last 5 years. Each time I emphatically said no chance! Here is the last email;

<span style="font-style: italic">Hey Rick,
Thank you for getting back to me. This show is not based around drama in the shop or the family. What we are looking for is a great family dynamic, people with great personalities and great shop that does amazing work on muscle cars. After visiting your site and talking to you, I can already tell you have a great personality. I would love to get on the phone and talk to you sometime today. Are you available for a brief phone call?</span>

Hmmmmm............nope, still want no part of that but ok, I will at least talk on the phone with them. He called later that afternoon and interviewed us for about a half hour. After the interview he thanked us and said no, you are right, you are not what we are looking for. Not enough drama. Go figure!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations
Old 03-13-2016, 06:42 PM

McPherson KS is where the college is..they relocate people etc..i will get moreinfo..or maybe you can google up the tech school there