Old 02-03-2017, 01:07 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: "The Beater Bee" becomes "The Better Bee"

Chop, Chop ...
Old 02-03-2017, 01:28 PM

Thanked 1,766 Times in 746 Posts

Awesome - can't wait to see it in person in November.

Dykstra Motorsports
Old 02-05-2017, 12:34 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Thanked 4,576 Times in 1,137 Posts

Thanks guys! I'm starting into the dash with a clock rebuild and dash knob replacement. I should have my bezels later this month [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Cheers [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]

Dave
Old 02-08-2017, 09:25 AM
Yenko Advertising Member

I was able to snatch up an NOS set of Westinghouse high and low beams for the Bee! The driver's side were replacement later style Halogen. And while probably brighter, they don't look right with those narrow fluting. So I snatched these up for, umm.....let's say, retirement is now postponed. Yep...things were going real well in the Molnar Hacienda. Then I went ahead and bought these light bulbs [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/thumbsdown.gif[/img]

But you can see that these wide fluted jobbies will just look so right up front. Shine on Me has the bezels and grille and they should be done in about another month. Can't wait to get them back!!!

Clock rebuild time! I'm replacing the movement with a quartz conversion. I think this may be my first classic car EVER that the clock will work! I'm going to run a lead over to Grady's car this year and tap off of his battery just so everyone can see a clock work in classic car. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img] I know the movement won't be the same. It'll be more of a sweep than than the &quot;tic&quot; that was original.

I'll be lucky to get even a 100 point score the way I'm going. I can hear the judge now... &quot;OK, Dave, if that IS your real name. Your clock tic is off, and actually, why it's even working since your battery is unplugged is another point off. The anchor on your upper lower whoosits control button is more like the anchor from the Lusitania and it needs to be more like the one from the Mauretania...that's another two points. And since you've wasted my time from judging other more correct cars.....double points off! Actually, now that I'm adding this up. You seem to owe me five points...Hmmm....not realy sure how that happened... [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img]&quot;

Dave
Old 02-20-2017, 10:11 AM
Yenko Advertising Member

Lost of smaller things done, but I don't want to bore everyone with pictures of trivial stuff. Been slowly wrapping things up. Headlights installed, and just as I got that done Norm at Shine on Me called and said my headlight bezels, grille, and tail panel are DONE!!!!! WOOHOO!!!!!

Not cheap....actually, I don't think anything was cheap on this car! Between this, the headlights, wiper motor, and Radiator restoration, that's about 85% of the cost of the car!!!! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/thumbsdown.gif[/img] Ok, maybe not, but if I added an NOS assembly line oil filter to the batch at about $1000-$1500 a pop, I probably would be! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif[/img] Which that leads me into my next project: a reproduction L-72 assembly line oil filter! More to come on that. I shuld have a prototype this week and if all goes well, I'll sell them on the open market for top dollar! After all the lawsuits with Chrysler/Fiat/Whoever they are this week, I may set up a &quot;Go Fund ME&quot; account for bail money [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/frown.gif[/img] Donate often! Give until it hurts!!! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Old 02-20-2017, 10:19 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

I'm working on a little side project for my Bee to just knock it out of the park! Well, not really. Maybe more of a right field pop up. Speaking of that....How come I always played right field in the PeeWee league? [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img] Being the dunce that I am, I think that it's because I was so good at what I did, it was to give the other players a chance at playing. Yeah..... That's what it was [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif[/img]. Only later in life did realize right field was for the kids that had two first names, or were followed by boy. &quot;Sit down Billy-Joe....Davey-Boy is gonna take this'un.&quot;(sound of chewing tobacco being spit and hitting a pan). Where was I? Oh yeah, my project....

Mopars on the assembly line got an oil filter that was a different color than the ones sold over the counter. They also had a sandy-textured coating, a non-slip coating like thing, as well as some specific stenciling on it. Since I'm detailing my Bee up to look like it just rolled off the assembly line, I need one of these filters to match the look. Well, an NOS one is about a grand, maybe more, should you find one. Add to that, I don't want to actually use an oil filter from 1969 for fear of internal disintegration! Something that happens to me everytime Kelly tells me no! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/whistle.gif[/img]

So, enter my artistic background, creativeness, and general lack of being able to sit still. I came up with a prototype of the factory filter. This is the first go at it. A practice run with a few more to follow to get it right. The color is not correct, no textured coating, and the raised M on the top needs to be adjusted. But this one was to mainly try out the dry transfer I had made for the filter with the logos. Now that I've done it once I now what I need to do to make it better.

I'm going to have my paint shop mix up some color to match the factory filter better, and I'll add some glass bead to give it the media texture it needs. That thicker single stage will fill in the voids on the raised M on top to make it appear more stamped. The one part number has an additional number in it that is not required, and I want the instructions to take up a smaller area, so the next round of transfers will correct this.

NOS filter: $1000......How much will this project cost me? Double. The value of everyone on Yenko.net finally realizing I've lost it! PRICELESS!!!!!! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]. More photos later this week with prototype #2!

Dave
Old 02-20-2017, 10:32 PM

Wow, very neat Dave. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]
Old 02-21-2017, 12:23 AM

So cool!!!

Ryan

1969 Beaumont 350 Auto White Sold
1969 Beaumont 307 Auto Green Sold
1969 Chevelle SS 396-L35 Auto Blue Sold
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass 'S' Sports Coupe W31
Old 02-21-2017, 02:10 AM

You get it dialed in and I am down for a few.
69 L71 Roadster Survivor
69 L46 Roadster Survivor (Sold)
69 Z/28 RS
69 Dodge Charger R/T
70 W30 442 Auto Air Survivor
2016 Z06 Coupe M7
70 AAR Cuda (Sold)
69 L78 Chevelle