Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 07-03-2009, 01:55 AM

Default Re: Ca, Re-issuing Black Plates

I just wanted to let everyone know that Yes the State of California is letting people put Black Plates back on cars. I just had black plates issued to my 66 Chevelle. The only major question they had was that the plates were stamped 63 which was the date stamped in all black plates. After my conversation with the manager they finished the paperwork. Although I am happy to have them, it sure will change the status of "original black plate car". This will cause the next big cloud over buying or selling a Ca. black plate car!
I just wanted to pass on the news.
Have A Great Fourth of July to all of the SYC members!!!!!
Dave L.
SoCal
Attachments - The Supercar Registry 410386-CA63YQX784before.JPG 410385-CA63YQX784finished.JPG
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 07-03-2009, 02:35 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Yep, now there will be a wave of "revisionist history" with cars getting "original" black CA plates. Now the question will be if a seller/flipper has old registrations for the car that prove its black-plate heritage. I guess overall it's a good thing though. With my '55, it got its black plates in '63 and if I wanted to re-register it there I could put them back on and avoid the specific 1955 YOM requirement. But yes, "black plate car" will now lose some of its cache.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:45 AM

Yeah, but the good news, boys, is that this nifty revenue generator will probably bring CA out of the <font color="red"> RED </font> and into the <font color="black"> BLACK </font>!

Old 07-03-2009, 02:55 AM

Sam,
Actually to my surprise there was No Charge!!!!
Dave L.
SoCal
Old 07-03-2009, 03:55 AM

It is a shame that they cut off the program to 1969 and earlier. Did the DMV require you to have 2 plates? Dave, how does the program work?
Mark Sheppard
Old 07-03-2009, 04:30 AM

It is the same YOM(Year of Manufacturer) program it has always been from what I understand. You bring the plates in and the DMV makes sure they are clear. Clear means they are not in use or the plate number is not registered to a motorcycle. My understanding is the reason black and gold plates were not allowed as YOM plates earlier is because bikes used that sequence. All you have to do to see if a car has its original plates is to look at a registration or title prior to 2009. I've been saving up black and golds for just this reason. I have a few cars that have been begging to get them back.

Jason
Old 07-03-2009, 04:41 AM

Hi Mark,
Yes you needed 2 plates and filled out some simple paperwork. The biggest problem is you must go to the DMV. The AAA can not do it as I went there first. I sent you a PM because we need to talk/talk.
Later Buddy,
Dave L.
SoCal
Old 07-03-2009, 08:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is a shame that they cut off the program to 1969 and earlier. Did the DMV require you to have 2 plates? Dave, how does the program work?
Mark Sheppard

[/ QUOTE ]

Mark, you will also need a MY reg tag of the car-if Dave didn't need one he slipped through the gauntlet(most clerks are clueless to these) . These YOM programs are limited to the specific series of period plates issues by DMV. Congressmen usually initiate a bill that gets voted on and made into legislation(and as broke as this state is best beleive the blue base will be a shoe in shortly) Black plates were 63-69,blue came in "officially" in July 70. One cool thing is you can put them on trucks(Cal commercial plates) all the way up to 72,as they phased in the blue base much later on those. I have set of black base that i'm going ot put on my 72 LS3 SS Elco.

Here's a thread that will answer a few questions
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277631

I'm with those who say it tarnishes the rarity of the original cars that have weathered the test of five decades, but at the same time there's nothing worse than a nice sixties car with white reflectorized plates

My 69Z still retains it's 41 year old black plates that have(like Nova Joe's)been current since new, and fortunately have titles from back in the eighties to validate that
Old 07-03-2009, 09:00 AM

I have blue plates on my 68. It would bet the original black plates were damaged in a wreck. I do have a set of blacks for the car but not sure if I'll change to them. The blues are part of the cars history too.
And the title says Year First Sold is 68. I have a copy of the previous title somewhere. Unfortunately no history before 1988.

Martin
George Olsen Chevrolet San Francisco
Old 07-03-2009, 11:06 AM

Dave, What do you mean by "The only major question they had was that the plates were stamped 63 which was the date stamped in all black plates."
My plate # YQX 784 was stamped in 63??? I'm not tracking you on this. Anyway, this is good news for some guys. Bet you there will be an increase of Black and gold plate sales on E-Pay.

------break------
Next time one of you Cali guys go into the DMV please ask the clerk how i go about getting the Month stamp. When I had my plates sent out for resto the Month sticker had to come off, heck it was so faded anyway. The year stickers I still have, I peeled off about 30 years worth, the stack of stickers is about 1/4 inch thick or more.
BTW, I have my registration PNOd over here, so those plates stay in the system. I get a notice each year from CA DMV asking what i want to do. PNO or register the plates.
Danke, john