Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Baldwin-Motion Performance

Old 08-01-2005, 08:23 AM

Default Re: FIRST BALDWIN MOTION SS 427 CHEVELLE FOUND!!!!

First I'd like to say hello to all.The reason why I joined is because I know this car personally.I am from Connecticut(now living in florida)I was just up there for 3 weeks to visit & was at a local car show in Trumbull CT.& saw an old friend of mine & the chevelle & owner (previous) came up in conversation.That's when he told me the car was sold to a person in georgia!Well low & behold I found it here.My family owned a auto parts store in Bridgeport CT.for many years & the previous owner had an acct.with us for his business.I remember when he got this car because for many years this car sat at a Body Shop/Towing co.in BPT.When we were younger (about 25 yrs.ago) we used to drive by there all the time & BUG the then owner to try & buy it.We were always told "IT'S NOT FOR SALE" We knew it was rare because of THE "427" badging but did not know it was the ONLY 1967 BALDWIN MOTION CHEVELLE MADE.We offered him $2000 at the time which was pretty good $$.The story I was told that the owner of the Body Shop/Car back then ran into some "LEGAL PROBLEMS" & that is how my old friend purchased the car to which he sold to COPO.I did not know the mason bros.as I was around 7 yrs old when the car was new,But I do remember a lot a bad rides back then.When I saw the pictures here I could not believe it.Eventually we settled for "STD" versions of SS nova's,chevelles,Z/28's & even a 1970 buick stage 1.Ahh the good old days.Just thought I would share my story of this car with everyone & maybe add some new history that was not known.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChevyCarGuy For This Useful Post:
AutoInsane (09-08-2019), dykstra (10-17-2023), PeteLeathersac (09-23-2021)
Old 08-01-2005, 04:57 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Great story and info. It really is a very special car especially with the lengthy magazine features when it was new. I'm still collecting some parts for the car, but hopefully can get the restoration going sometime next year. I had a couple ahead of it in line.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:38 PM

Where is "Charlie Mason" now? There is a older guy named Chuck Mason here in Augusta area that ran a speed shop, plus is one of the most sought after tuners in the area.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:45 PM

Truly a great find. I am amazed on how close this car was to me. Makes you wonder on what still might be out there.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:58 PM

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,150 Posts

COPO & ChevyCarGuy
If there ever was a reason for you two & The Chevelle,as is,to attend the SuperCar Reunion Sept.2-3 in Collinsville this year,I don't know what is!
Old 01-11-2006, 12:58 PM

copo, is there any news on this car, updated or older pictures you can post thanks jp
Old 01-11-2006, 03:58 PM

Nothing new to report on the Chevelle, still in the parts gathering stage and it is in the queue waiting its turn to return to its former glory. This is truly an amazing car because of its extensive vintage magazine coverage when it was new and the fact that is was at times used by Motion to test new parts coming to the market. As an example, it was one of the first cars to run the new at the time edelbrock tunnel ram with two fours. This was when it ran 10's at the track and on the street. The other thing that I think is really cool, is our own Joe G. remembers this car at the Motion shop and it was one of the reasons he originally bought his '69 BM Chevelle.

I have two cars currently undergoing restoration and those take a lot of my time and car money. With two teenagers heavily into travel sports, it's hard to find car time these days.

The somewhat new news is during the summer I picked up a previously unknown Baldwin Motion find that a few on the board now know about and I will post some pics and info on a new thread before long.

Thanks for the interest.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:59 PM

Thanked 5,357 Times in 1,880 Posts

A NEW Baldwin Motion find...How cool !

Can't wait to see the pictures.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:08 PM

Thanked 3,872 Times in 1,002 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
The somewhat new news is during the summer I picked up a previously unknown Baldwin Motion find that a few on the board now know about and I will post some pics and info on a new thread before long.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it's about time you let that news lose! Kind of hard to keep that quiet ya know!
Rick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations
Old 01-11-2006, 07:40 PM

That is indeed AWESOME news!!! Please fill us in on the details and pictures as soon as you can and congrate on the find!!