Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Other Muscle

Old 10-13-2014, 12:55 PM

Default Re: '73 SD restoration

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PLATINUM6BBL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: markinnaples</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SlowPoke, why not put the stock engine and tranny in storage and build a similar 455 that you can do whatever you want with it and not risk the $$$ loss of altering the original engine?

Just a thought, especially since the 70's T/A's are climbing in value rapidly these days.

Would love to see some pics. </div></div>
Sadly I wish a kid I know took seriously the 72 H/O 4spd T/A that he inherited after his father passed. Wounded the engine within a few months, then left it sit outside for months (I barely remember it even seeing bad weather when his dad owned it) and I just heard that stacks of tires have fallen over onto it. </div></div>
Saw the car over the weekend and happy to report the tire falling claim is false. I did snap some pics but have no way to up load them here.
[email protected] PSMCDR 9/14
1974 Dodge Challenger Rallye 360 quad black
14.36@92 Factory Stock division of F.A.S.T.
**SOLD** 1970 Road Runner Superbird 440-6 4spd EB5
Old 10-13-2014, 01:33 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Hi Lon, If you e-mail them to me I can post them.

Ryan

1969 Beaumont 350 Auto White Sold
1969 Beaumont 307 Auto Green Sold
1969 Chevelle SS 396-L35 Auto Blue Sold
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass 'S' Sports Coupe W31
Old 10-14-2014, 01:25 AM

[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/[/img]
[email protected] PSMCDR 9/14
1974 Dodge Challenger Rallye 360 quad black
14.36@92 Factory Stock division of F.A.S.T.
**SOLD** 1970 Road Runner Superbird 440-6 4spd EB5
Old 10-14-2014, 04:56 AM

Tracker1....thanks; good to know my wife will be fine I'll remember to check with you before my next stock trade. It is an automatic (bummer...always wished it were a 4 speed).

markinnaples...I've thought of doing exactly as you suggest and one day when I'm made of money I might just do that. But there is also that bit of curiosity in me that wants to see how well the engine can be made to run with a few modifications which basically fit into the category of &quot;un-doing&quot; the crap that the insurance and emissions lobby forced on the engine. My idea of what a muscle car should do was formed when I was in high school ('65-69) and I was always disappointed with the SD's performance. Granted, I knew much less about engines back then but I'd been in small block Camaros that were faster than this 455 beast (<span style="font-weight: bold">it just aint right!</span>).

I even thought of buying some new aluminum heads from Butler, but then it wouldn't be an SD455 any more, plus again there is that money thing. Perhaps I should pray that the heads are warped some and I find they need shaving, but it is unlikely because it has never been unduly stressed. No one has commented on the shim-type gaskets?

KenMaisano....440 CID, interesting that you are just 7 inches over the displacement Greg Peterson chose for his SD modification which he wrote about in the High Performance Pontiac article. Did you have your own cam ground or is there a standard part number you are using?

Thanks NJSteve I look into how to perhaps &quot;move&quot; this thread to the Pontiac area.

JM
Old 01-22-2015, 03:06 AM

Talk to Dan Jensen. He built my HO motor with no cutting, used Diamond pistons to get compression up to about 9.2:1 with a roller cam and eagle rods and dynoed at 475 HP 554 ft lbs. on 87 pump gas.

I am getting ready to restore a 73 SD 4spd and hes doing the motor, owner wants about the same.
70 Judge 4 spd barn find
71 Judge 4spd
70 Chevelle SS 396 4spd
72 Cheyenne Super 402
70 Caprice LS-5
99 WS-6 TA 6 spd
70 Torino SCJ Dragpack 4 spd.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:54 AM

I agree,talk to Dan or maybe Rick Johnson in Crete IL.Rick has helped Dan and Scott Tieman with some of their builds.Also dont be afraid of a small properly done dome.There are MANY hipo race engines running them.Tom
Old 01-26-2015, 11:53 AM

I would change the pistons,do a mild cut(.030&quot AND go to a shim gasket if the deck clearance if .020&quot; or more. I have heard that the SD cam is stout and runs strong if you retard it 4-6 degrees. A 3 angle valve job,back cut the valves,and you should have a stout piece. If you are buying good pistons with small rings,then spend the extra bucks for a gapless set,and have the block plate honed. I don't know what valves the SD comes with,but if the faces are recessed,you can go with nail head valves to bring up the compression.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:54 AM

Default Rubber and window trim (sqeegee molding?)

I’ve seen many places advertising rubber and trim for ’70 F bodies but would like the recommendation of the collective……

Most things are still in great shape but I’ll have to replace some window molding and the squeegee molding (not sure of the name of it, but it is between the outside of the door glass and the body).

I've hesitated to put this under a separate Pontiac restoration thread because I'd be embarrassed at going so slow. Not long after starting this thread, I started a project to rebuild the engine in my ’92 300ZX twin turbo, which is in such good shape I wouldn’t even call it a restoration. Once the engine was out, creeping elegance set in as I kept seeing small things which are easy to do with the engine out. I’ve done picky things I never intended to do. It needs to finish before I start making good progress on the SD.

Things went into suspended animation after having 3 major surgeries in 3 months. My body wasn’t actually ready for it but I wanted to take some of the interior plastics out before the furnace of summer set in but also with the sun’s radiant heat warming things up so the plastics wouldn’t be brittle.

Today was perfect so I took the seats out and recon’ed the situation. I replaced the headliner in ’83 and although it still looks good but I’m thinking it can’t be so I’ll be looking for vinyl which matches. I'd not remembered how heavy the seats are. I wonder if there is a lighter alternative?

Thanks all
Old 04-02-2017, 11:40 PM

Thanked 2,395 Times in 758 Posts

You definitely should move this thread over to the Pontiac section just for ease of finding it.

There are two different outer door rubber "squeegee" moldings as you call them. It depends on whether you have the stainless steel molding on the top of the door or not.

This molding, outlined in red:
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2017, 02:08 AM

Thanked 2,395 Times in 758 Posts

Here is a link to some info on the door weatherstrip GM part numbers.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...t+part+numbers