Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Misc. Dealers

Old 01-14-2010, 09:48 AM

Default Re: Rydell Chevrolet in Illinois

The 66 SS396 chevelle was ordered in the fall of 65 as a 396/360 4 speed prior to the release of the 375 HP motor. The 427/425 was ordered through Rydells and installed in the service dept. They even added the 66 full size 427 cross flag fender emblems. The car was white with red buckets.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:15 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,966 Posts

Thanks for the update on the L72 powered '66!.
Cool car either way but do you know if Rydell's service dept did the transplant before the car was delivered new to the customer or did he take delivery w/ the L34 and return for the engine swap?.

~ Pete

Old 01-14-2010, 07:26 PM

The swap was after delivery, but not very long as I remember the details.The original L-34 motor is something I have no memory of at all as to what was done with it after the swap. Auran Chevrolet (Jim Ryan) in Minot ND had a customer (Darrel Hadberg) that did the same swap with a madera maroon 66 SS396 chevelle. The car was lettered with the dealership on the doors and raced in 1966-7.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:42 PM

Thanks Craig!.

~ Pete
Old 01-15-2010, 05:29 PM

Zone # 33
Dealer Code # 703

Rydell Chevrolet

Grand Forks, North Dakota
(Info circa 1976)

------------------------

Zone # 33
Dealer Code # 41

Auran Chevrolet

1800 S. Broadway
Minot, North Dakota
(Info circa 1970)

~ Pete
Old 04-10-2016, 07:11 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigsixman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The swap was after delivery, but not very long as I remember the details.The original L-34 motor is something I have no memory of at all as to what was done with it after the swap. Auran Chevrolet (Jim Ryan) in Minot ND had a customer (Darrel Hadberg) that did the same swap with a madera maroon 66 SS396 chevelle. The car was lettered with the dealership on the doors and raced in 1966-7. </div></div>

Bigsixman, I think his name was Darrel Elberg not Darrel Hadberg. He was an employee of Auran Chevrolet. He had a lot of hi performance cars!!! He loved Chevelles. He also had ordered a L78 Nova SS and many more L78's. Thx&amp;#128512;
Old 04-10-2016, 07:15 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 9566 BA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got the nova out in the sun today. On the trunk is Rydell with Grand Forks underneath. So I geuss it a North Dakota car! Thanks for the help everybody. Anybody have any info on this dealer? They must have been into racing to have sponcered a race car. </div></div>

Would the nova be for sale? &amp;#128512;
Old 04-10-2016, 10:39 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outlaw68Nova</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigsixman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The swap was after delivery, but not very long as I remember the details.The original L-34 motor is something I have no memory of at all as to what was done with it after the swap. Auran Chevrolet (Jim Ryan) in Minot ND had a customer (Darrel Hadberg) that did the same swap with a madera maroon 66 SS396 chevelle. The car was lettered with the dealership on the doors and raced in 1966-7. </div></div>

Bigsixman, I think his name was Darrel Elberg not Darrel Hadberg. He was an employee of Auran Chevrolet. He had a lot of hi performance cars!!! He loved Chevelles. He also had ordered a L78 Nova SS and many more L78's. Thx&amp;#128512; </div></div>

Outlaw68Nova, It very well may have been Elberg, the memory goes pretty foggy after 50 years. The Minot area was a good car town because of the Minot AFB and those young airmen liked nice cars.

Is Darrel still around the Minot area? He should be a wealth of information regarding the 60s Chevrolet muscle cars. My friend has one or more pictures of the lettered up 66 chevelle that he raced back when new.
The Following User Says Thank You to bigsixman For This Useful Post:
Outlaw68Nova (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsixman View Post
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outlaw68Nova</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigsixman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The swap was after delivery, but not very long as I remember the details.The original L-34 motor is something I have no memory of at all as to what was done with it after the swap. Auran Chevrolet (Jim Ryan) in Minot ND had a customer (Darrel Hadberg) that did the same swap with a madera maroon 66 SS396 chevelle. The car was lettered with the dealership on the doors and raced in 1966-7. </div></div>

Bigsixman, I think his name was Darrel Elberg not Darrel Hadberg. He was an employee of Auran Chevrolet. He had a lot of hi performance cars!!! He loved Chevelles. He also had ordered a L78 Nova SS and many more L78's. Thx&amp;#128512; </div></div>

Outlaw68Nova, It very well may have been Elberg, the memory goes pretty foggy after 50 years. The Minot area was a good car town because of the Minot AFB and those young airmen liked nice cars.

Is Darrel still around the Minot area? He should be a wealth of information regarding the 60s Chevrolet muscle cars. My friend has one or more pictures of the lettered up 66 chevelle that he raced back when new.

PM sent
Old 10-31-2018, 10:22 PM

Nice Rydell Grand Forks emblem deal on eBoy...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rydell-Chev...wAAOSwtItbvlIq

~ Pete