Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Yenko Chevrolet

Old 12-04-2018, 10:24 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,513 Times in 726 Posts

Is there a word to describe "beyond superb"?

73 Camaro RS Z28, L82, M20, C60
Old 12-04-2018, 11:13 PM

Thanked 3,872 Times in 1,002 Posts

Since last posting we have worked virtually every night and all weekend in order to get the chassis completed for Jamie to mount the body on. In addition I decided to do the fuel tank.

There was no saving the original so we opted for second best which is the Spectra tank. The 70 Chevelles are almost identical with minor exceptions. The 69 tanks are not near as close but will have to do until or if I can locate an original that is in mint condition. Experience tells me that will not happen so this tank will have to do.

The only inspection mark I found on the original tank was the number "982" written in black grease pencil. I traced the original and replaced it on the new tank exactly as found. This number is normally in the top left corner of the buildsheet which unfortunately I do not have.

The reproduction pads you buy today for the tanks are nothing more than thick foam so I made my own laminated version like the originals using a slightly different product but with good results. The noise strips were made from heavy gauge roofing tar paper. I then purchased the stencil kit and screen printed it onto the tank. Very tedious work requiring some touch up.

The fuel vent tubes were original so I simply cleaned them up, inserted new foam filters and restored the original square tipped clamps. I found remnants of the old filter material in side the vent lines so using a heated bullet casing I hot cut new vent filters from foam from a garden tractor. After closer examination of the hose line bracket it looked to have been original phosphated so I re-phosphated my original, restored the screw and the rest of the electrical and hardware.
Attached Images

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations

Last edited by SS427; 01-13-2019 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:37 PM

I worked all weekend on the rear KQ differential (already partially painted) to get it assembled, finish painting and detailed and finally installed it tonight. As you can see, I am trying to replicate what I found exactly as I found it will minor additions such as inspection marks I know were on the majority of cars but were not visible on this car.

The gears were dated 2 67, almost two years before the rear assembly but from what I could tell during disassembly the rear had never been apart. Seems like a stretch to me but that is what I found.

The pinion flange was restored with the inspection marks that were found. Yellow on the side of the flange and mauve on the end of the pinion.

The axle shafts we cleaned and the studs pressed out and restored. I then ever so slightly turned the face, back and edge of the axle flanges after documenting the colored inspection marks I found. These were replaced exactly as found.

There were many yellow inspection marks on the differential and are what I normally always find on them. I should note first, this is a Baltimore car and more often then not the entire rear suspension as well as the crossmember is natural steel. Obviously there were minor pits in the steel axle tubes so I had to have bodywork done on them so instead of leaving them natural we had to replicate them in paint (Jamie did the initial bare steel color coat). I then went back and recolored some areas which consisted of one color for the tubes, another for the steel shock and spring brackets as well as the backing plates and rear differential cover all being different types of steel and/or manufacturing process necessitating slightly different colors. The center section was natural cast iron. All the colored inspection marks were replicated. I applied the yellow around all the plug welds then heated the plugs up to burn off the yellow around them and colored the plugs to replicated fresh welds. All the welds on the differential and crossmember were replicated to look like fresh blued steel.

I also replicated the cold rolled steel tube welding joint and replaced them in their exact location that they were originally located in. I likely have over 40 hours just in the finish work on the outside of the differential housing, axles and brakes.

Ok so I am over restoring this car and am insanely anal, I get it.
Attached Images

Last edited by SS427; 01-13-2019 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:49 PM

Holy-Snappen-Ole-Snap—On-A-Vich.......

You are killing it dead!

Ryan W31

1969 Beaumont 350 Auto White Sold
1969 Beaumont 307 Auto Green Sold
1969 Chevelle SS 396-L35 Auto Blue Sold
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass 'S' Sports Coupe W31
Old 12-04-2018, 11:54 PM

Here the rear diff is installed into the chassis and everything hooked up. I have seen the orange paint applied to the brake lines several times in the past (on 1970 cars) and found them on this car so I replicated them. All of the e-brake hardware and cables are original to the car and have been painstakingly restored back to original.

I also took the time over the weekend to install the trans into the chassis and attach all the peripherals onto it as well as finish off the simulated bare steel crossmember. I still have some inspection marks to add to the shifter but you get the idea.

I then added the car's exhaust manifolds onto the engine and painted the orange around the flanges to simulate a new engine with a little run time on it. The engine is painted with a custom mix single stage gun sprayed paint for durability and longevity.
Attached Images

Last edited by SS427; 01-13-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:58 PM

Other than a few bumps and bruises she looks like a solid car. Hard to believe after resting in such a swampy environment.... Looking forward to its resurrection
Old 12-04-2018, 11:58 PM

I am starting to understand how many of my customers feel when having their cars restored. Not only the immense excitement but also the financial stress. Some of my friends have commented that it must really help that I own the company so restoring it is a lot cheaper. NOT!!!! I am very close to matching what my customers have invested in their restorations and I am far from being done nor have I included any of my labor though I am keeping track of every hour. This stuff can be incredibly expensive but if you want it done right that is what it takes.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_Maiorana View Post
Other than a few bumps and bruises she looks like a solid car. Hard to believe after resting in such a swampy environment.... Looking forward to its resurrection
The water the car was sitting in when found came from a torrential rain storm and broken garage door which allowed the leaves to flow in and plug the drain which happened two days before our arrival so all in all the only damage was due to 47 years of a non climate controlled garage. Thank God as this could have been a whole lot worse.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:35 AM

Just wonderful Rick. Lovin’ your pace and your updates. Keep going!!!!

Old 12-05-2018, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS427 View Post
I am starting to understand how many of my customers feel when having their cars restored. Not only the immense excitement but also the financial stress. Some of my friends have commented that it must really help that I own the company so restoring it is a lot cheaper. NOT!!!! I am very close to matching what my customers have invested in their restorations and I am far from being done nor have I included any of my labor though I am keeping track of every hour. This stuff can be incredibly expensive but if you want it done right that is what it takes.
I even found this out on a small scale, each item has a tremendous cost, even if restored and assembled by the owner... I can’t even imagine going to this level...

I can’t wait to see this gem in person.

Thank goodness it is a 4 speed car!!! (No special reason)

Go Rick and Annie!!

Ryan W31

1969 Beaumont 350 Auto White Sold
1969 Beaumont 307 Auto Green Sold
1969 Chevelle SS 396-L35 Auto Blue Sold
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass 'S' Sports Coupe W31