Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Ford-Mercury

Old 09-01-2013, 01:23 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,755 Times in 1,592 Posts
Default Re: Oh Lordy, I now own a Fordy (a Lincoln actually)..

----For many, many years the GM compressor was the standard of the industry. Nothing else could compare! I guess Ford just realized that if they were to compete with Cadillac they had to step up to world class AC.......Bill S
Old 09-01-2013, 01:43 PM

Thanked 2,378 Times in 752 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: olredalert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">----For many, many years the GM compressor was the standard of the industry. Nothing else could compare! I guess Ford just realized that if they were to compete with Cadillac they had to step up to world class AC.......Bill S </div></div>

Ah, yes, no one else had a compressor that could double as a rust proofing application device by spraying oil from the front seal all over the engine compartment. This car had the same tell-tale oil spray line across the inner fender and on the under-hood insulation that my Firebird(s) have. I had to pull out the four hood pad panels as they were mouse infiltrated and oil impregnated from the compressor.

We will recharge the a/c system with R12. It still has some R12 in the system but needs to be topped off.

Next on the to do list is replacing the front calipers, one of which is sticking. I had to special order the front brake hoses. They were very hard to find. None of the regular suppliers had them. Only one company makes the special steel and rubber lines for these cars. They had them to me in three days. Calipers should arrive on Tuesday.

Then a couple of valve cover gaskets. And then pull the Autolte 4bbl carb and have it redone.....

Old 09-01-2013, 07:40 PM

Can you say SUPERFLY? That car is sweet. Back in the day growing up as a teen in Atlanta that would be our cruise to Florida car. My mom had a 65 Continental, with the suicide doors and that long 'LA' mirror and she thought that car was big. I wonder how many people could fit in there. We shoved 18 people in a 65 Impala 4 door one night. I bet at least 22 to 25, maybe more if you used the trunk, but you wouldn't have any place to put the kegs.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:15 PM

<span style="font-size: 14pt">SUPER COOL Steve!</span> [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/headbang.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/worship.gif[/img]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njsteve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
He met his future wife (my Gramma Rose) on the beach in Brooklyn, NY in the 1920's. She was with a gaggle of her girl friends and Simon was with a bunch of hooligans that were trying to make small talk with the ladies. Eventually the two groups combined and there was a flip of a coin between a couple of the girls (Rose being one of them) over the last two boys. Gramma Rose lost the coin toss and got stuck with Simon, the guy with the busted nose....and the rest is history.

So, in the true-est Forrest Gumpish sense, my entire family wouldn't be here but for a lost coin toss almost a century ago. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img] </div></div>

<span style="font-family: 'Arial Black'"> <span style="font-size: 11pt">Love it!</span> </span> [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

RIP COPO PETE!
</span> </span>
Old 09-01-2013, 08:50 PM

Love it! Now thats a car for cruising in style, AC blowin cubes, soft seats and enough springs and shocks to dampen the crap roads of today. Reminds me of something I'd see on Cannon or The streets of San Fransisco...Catchin air and smoking the tire in a quick getaway ..I cant wait to follow this one!

Rim blow steering wheel correct? Dash is awesome...

BIG
Old 09-01-2013, 10:39 PM

Yup, That's the original rim blow steering wheel. And it still works.

Simon's great-grandson (my son) thinks the rim mounted horn element is the coolest thing. If you look closely, you can even see the two noticeable wear marks where my Grandfather would place his thumbs at the junction of the spokes at the 10:00 and 2:00 positions.

When we went back in the house, I showed my son one of Simon's sunglasses from the glove box that still had his great-grandfather's thumbprint on the lens. My son thought THAT was really cool. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]
Old 09-01-2013, 10:45 PM

I spent a couple hours with my son detailing the interior. Used half a bottle of leather cleaner. Everything inside is leather except for the door panels and dash.

Here's the results. That rectangular, silver decal on the ashtray door is the original seatbelt instructions that Simon never removed. So it stays put.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:48 PM

And I cleaned up and repainted the original dealer emblem that I neglected to install back in 1992 when we repainted the car. Stuck her back on in the original spot.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:37 AM

Sharp Steve!

Old 09-02-2013, 12:25 PM

Thanked 1,596 Times in 490 Posts

Very cool...looks like a small aircraft carrier [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
Join National Nostalgic Nova!
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro