Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 01-17-2022, 08:50 PM

Thanked 5,346 Times in 1,875 Posts

Congrats, Mark!
Old 01-17-2022, 08:52 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanks Bruce!

1996 Carrera & 1993 Fat Boy
The Following User Says Thank You to Zedder For This Useful Post:
Xplantdad (01-17-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 09:45 PM

Thanked 2,848 Times in 1,348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedder View Post
Thanks Bruce!

So you got the deal closed ??
Congrats.
The haul rate is fair, for the distance, and people need to understand that IS a long haul. The extra $670 for paperwork to the gubment is nothing but a rip off.
1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles
Old 01-22-2022, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
The extra $670 for paperwork to the gubment is nothing but a rip off.
Agreed.

I've imported two cars from the UK. I handled the paperwork myself and drove to the port(Brunswick, GA) and picked the cars up myself.

Note: Apparently the authorities frown on firearms in a vehicle in shipping ports. Who knew?
The Following User Says Thank You to southernfriedcj For This Useful Post:
Too Many Projects (01-22-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 04:23 PM

Also note it's not just about the money. It is the time that it takes. I tried to ship some cars over 1,500 miles last year. I was told they would pick them up, but that they would have to sit in a warehouse in Arizona for 3 months. THEN they would be delivered. The cost was $1,700 per car. Apparently alot of the drivers for the big companies we all have used, are leaving and going to work for Walmart. So I said to myself, NO WAY am I going to let hundreds of thousands of dollars in cars, sit in a warehouse. I did the math and did it myself one car at a time. Just about killed me, but it's done in a few days. All cars safe and sound. AND I saved $2,400! However I will NEVER do that again. It took a toll on my health. Open trailer, sleeping in the cab of my truck with a gun with extra clips. At rest stops I would back the trailer up until the trailer was against a wall or a brick building. That way it could not be rolled off while I am dead asleep. Couldn't fit through drive-thrus. So I would call the restaurant and they would say, I am sorry sir, we can't bring food outside. I said I am pulling a trailer and can't fit. I then offered them $10 to bring it out. Worked every time, about 10 times. Chic filet, Popeyes etc ... Danny
Old 01-22-2022, 05:55 PM

I hear ya', Danny. I drove 1,400 miles a couple weeks ago and the age issue became apparent when I had to stop twice and nap for a couple hours. As little as 5 years ago, I would have turned that non-stop, or 1 stop for a 2 hour nap.

I never stop to sleep at night, I always time my route to drive thru the night and sleep sunrise to whenever. I park in open lots where people will be going in and out to discourage any activity in daylight.
As for food, most of the big truck stops now have fast food and convenience stores attached with plenty of well lit parking while going it to get food. I always eat in the truck, unless I have a clear line of site to the trailer.
1967 Camaro ss/rs
Old 01-22-2022, 06:55 PM

Default Car Hauling

I actually did the last trip in 27 hours. I drove straight through just under 1,700 miles. Longest I have ever driven non-stop in 45 years! Those big truck stops like "LOVES" etc. are good. But I don't always get close enough to feel like I can leave the car. People don't want to get involved. If they see guys cutting the straps on your trailer and rolling if off your trailer on to their trailer, 90 percent of the people would say/do nothing. That's just the way it is now. I pee in a peanut container and make it happen. However I don't think I would ever do it again. Over 10,000 miles total. Now in my 60's it's a rough go. Besides, I am running out of money to buy cars... ... Danny
Old 01-23-2022, 02:21 PM

Boy am I ever glad I read this post. Talked about being shocked.

Is it really that bad out there when you have a car on a trailer? Do you really
have to sleep in your vehicle, go to truck stops only where you can keep an eye on your trailer, carry weapons or just never sleep?

Trust me, I am not naive but this is crazy.

I would like your input as this is going to have an impact on my plans going forward.

Paul
Old 01-23-2022, 02:54 PM

Depends entirely on the vehicle. Most of what I have brought home has been projects and basket cases, nothing worth tens of thousands of dollars.

BUT, I would never stop at a motel/hotel and leave the rig and car in a lot completely out of my sight. I have an open trailer and having whatever I'm hauling in plain sight just feels like too much temptation for opportunity thieves.
As for not sleeping, that is a personal choice. I prefer to limit the exposure of what I am hauling by staying on the move. I may be wired a little different in that regard from most people. I was an owner/operator for 40 years and did long haul during the winter months when the construction trade slowed/stopped in the frozen north. As a result of the long haul years, I greatly prefer to drive at night. There is a LOT less traffic and I get thru any major metropolitan areas before morning rush traffic. When I get tired enough to sleep in daylight, I stop for a few hours.

As for carrying a weapon, I will never have one in the vehicle with me. If there is any chance of being stopped for a driving violation, or forbid, an accident and you are found with a weapon in the vehicle, especially a loaded one, the reason you were stopped or crashed becomes secondary to the loaded weapon charge. If you only stay in your state and have a permit, shouldn't be a big deal, but carrying a loaded weapon across state lines becomes a REALLY big deal and your rig and whatever is on/in it is confiscated and impounded. The LEO's then become the thieves.
1967 Camaro ss/rs
Old 01-23-2022, 07:00 PM

count on at least $1.00 a mile ? I just had a old Anglia gasser hauled from Chula Vista California just south of San Diego to Manheim PA which is a major Auto transport hub due to the Auction. And at $2700 it was the Cheapest i could find, and i have lots of friends in the car hauling business.