Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 09-06-2016, 09:05 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Top Day 2 Musclecars?

The Pontiac I just purchased from Tony (Scuncio)is a great day two car. Badged as the original 6 cyl it has all the goodies.
1965 Pontiac Lemans
Old 09-06-2016, 11:14 PM

I was cruisin' the streets of Omaha in my Biscayne in 71-72 and there were some pretty fast cars. Several that I remember were a 69 (might have been a 68) Mustang 428 CobraJet, headers, deep gears, traction bars and pretty fat tires. Another was a 70 Z-28, 4 speed, headers, Lakewood bars, 5.13-1 gears and Drag 500 cheater slicks. He used to stalk big block cars. There was a 69 Chevelle, that looking back now I realize might have been a COPO car because it was definitely an L72. He also had headers and good tires for the day. There was also an L78 4 speed Nova real deep gear car that was jacked way up in the back for big tires, but he still had traction problems. There were some faster cars that were past Day 2, but these were the ones I remember the young workin' guys had.

My '68 Biscayne updates and fixes: http://tinyurl.com/Biscayne-My-Way

'68 Biscayne how I got it: http://tinyurl.com/Biscayne-Baseline
Old 09-06-2016, 11:34 PM

If engine swaps are allowed I want a Boss 351 Maverick. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2016, 11:46 PM

396/427 Vega!
'78 Z28 32,000 survivor, Og Yellow paint, AC.
'69 CANADIAN Nova SS 396/350 hp
'67 CANADIAN Nova SS 427 10 sec. driver
'66 CANADIAN Nova SS Race Car
'61 CANADIAN Pontiac Bubble top 409+/4sp (SOLD)
'31 ALL STEEL Chevy P.U. GONE (EX-WIFES NOW)
Old 09-06-2016, 11:47 PM

Who says what's &quot;DAY 2&quot;? That will be the issue! Once a heads up class comes around, $$$$ fly out the window faster then smoke in a Cheek and Chong movie.
'78 Z28 32,000 survivor, Og Yellow paint, AC.
'69 CANADIAN Nova SS 396/350 hp
'67 CANADIAN Nova SS 427 10 sec. driver
'66 CANADIAN Nova SS Race Car
'61 CANADIAN Pontiac Bubble top 409+/4sp (SOLD)
'31 ALL STEEL Chevy P.U. GONE (EX-WIFES NOW)
Old 09-07-2016, 12:31 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: old5.0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If engine swaps are allowed I want a Boss 351 Maverick. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif[/img] </div></div>

One of my most memorable street races was against a 351 Maverick, Boss stripes and all.....He opened his header dumps at a light and it was go time. Side by side up to 110-120 thru town at about midnight on a Fri or Sat night. This was on a four lane section of US 42 in a retail area. Young and dumb, but man was that fun!

BIG
Old 09-07-2016, 01:12 AM
SCR Sponsor

Thanked 3,140 Times in 914 Posts

Jimmy Addison's Silver Bullet would be a cool discussion.

Day 2,3,4..........

Old 09-07-2016, 05:27 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: earntaz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bulletpruf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: earntaz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bulletpruf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[quote=old5.0]Day 2 Ford? If you're dead set on only using original speed parts, 71 Mustang coupe, 429 SCJ, 4 speed, 4.30 Detroit. The 385 stuff came along too late to really make an impact back then, but pound for pound, I'll put that stagger valve SCJ notch up against any Hemi E-Body, Ram Air Bird, ZL-1 Camaro <span style="font-style: italic">or</span> FE powered production Ford. </div></div>

Let me preface this by saying I loves me some 385's. I had a 796 hp 514 in my 67 Fairlane and it was a BEAST. However, I think you give up too much in a 71 Mustang -- a bit on the heavy side, and that 429 is a heavy lump. Same thing hinders the 351 Boss, IMO -- awesome engine, but car is too heavy.

Here's my old '67 -- not really Day 2, but still one of my favorite cars.

Some Mustangs (not all) are like south ends -- everyone has one. NOW that Fairlane -- that is a beauty and not all that common. Looks evil!! TAZ [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/burnout.gif[/img] </div></div>

Thanks, Taz. It would have made a great Day 2 427 car but now it has subframe connectors, cage, minitub, and the shock towers have been &quot;massaged&quot; a bit...

Here's my current Fairlane - 66 GT convt. with 428/4 sp. Looks stock, but has been breathed on a bit...
</div></div>

Now you guys are really dragging out the classics ... COOL!!! TAZ </div></div>

Thanks, Taz. It's been sitting in storage, 90% done, for 3 years. Uncle Sam sent me to Korea for a 2 year tour followed by a 3 year tour in Italy. I'll finish it when I return from Italy.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:34 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat_Dilling</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was cruisin' the streets of Omaha in my Biscayne in 71-72 and there were some pretty fast cars. Several that I remember were a 69 (might have been a 68) Mustang 428 CobraJet, headers, deep gears, traction bars and pretty fat tires. Another was a 70 Z-28, 4 speed, headers, Lakewood bars, 5.13-1 gears and Drag 500 cheater slicks. He used to stalk big block cars. There was a 69 Chevelle, that looking back now I realize might have been a COPO car because it was definitely an L72. He also had headers and good tires for the day. There was also an L78 4 speed Nova real deep gear car that was jacked way up in the back for big tires, but he still had traction problems. There were some faster cars that were past Day 2, but these were the ones I remember the young workin' guys had. </div></div>

I was born in '68, so I'm a bit too young to have seen street races between true Day 2 cars. Having said that, sounds like a fun scene in Omaha, albeit with a few too many Chevy's [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img] Thanks for the input.

Scott
Old 09-07-2016, 05:40 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanCOPO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The Pontiac I just purchased from Tony (Scuncio)is a great day two car. Badged as the original 6 cyl it has all the goodies. </div></div>

I think I would consider that to be more of a modern-ish sleeper, given eddy heads and wheels... Somewhat similar to my 68 GTO convt -- just looks like a nice cruiser, but the 400 is actually a built 462, ported iron heads, Cliff Ruggles tweaked Q-Jet, Performer RPM intake, headers, Continental converter, 3.90 gear, etc. Should dip into the 11's with traction.

Needs a bit of detailing and cleaning under the hood, and a stock appearing air cleaner.