Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 12-22-2016, 03:33 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Barn find hemicuda convertible.

I bought my black convertible from Phoenix attorney Patrick McGroder about 15 years ago. I knew it had been a successful race car and had been a barn find in Taos NM where it sat unused from the mid '70s until '89. Since my purchase I've worked to reconstruct the car's history. I learned that the first owner damaged the engine at about 7 or 8 thousand miles. At that point he stopped making payments and the car was repossessed. Reportedly a warranty engine went in and the car was sold to Alex Bowers for $2,400. Alex briefly drove the car on the street until he, his brother Bob and friend Stewart Way had Barnett Automotive turn it into a race car. Barnett built the engine in the car and added '71 sheetmetal to create a contender. Bowers had success with Terry Earwood driving but the car went on to greatness after being purchased by Steve Bagwell which is well documented. By '76 the car was purchased by Taos drag racer Laurence Chase. Soon after the trans was seriously broken at Green Valley Raceway in the Dallas area. Then silence until '89 when Ernie Blumenthal discovered what was thought to be a coupe in hiding. Pat bought it and began the restoration.
Several years later I was still trying to fill in all the blanks and decided to look up Mr Chase. Surprisingly still in that same barn were several pieces left behind by the new owner. The '71 fenders, front valance still sporting the Bagwell paint job, the engine block from the glory days and the broken trans with a big story of its own. About three years ago I drove to Taos, purchased these historical pieces and brought them home.
Fast forward to December '16. I've consigned the car to Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale. As I've attempted to accurately answer questions I've had to go back to Galen's report concerning the engine dates. The report provided information I had never really noticed before. The block was restamped so I was never that curious. Now I was curious about the old race block. It didn't have a vin which would be consistent with a warranty block. I rolled it over to see the numbers on the flange under the starter. Finding a date 13 days before my car I decided to enlist an expert which led to the revelation that this block is a production unit and according to the order number most likely original to my car! I told Stewart Way who has helped me with the history of the car. Apparently the warranty replacement was an assumption after the car quit running. The missing vin was actually ground off like a lot more of the block material for weight saving.
I guess that makes two great finds from that barn but there's one more. The Torqueflite has been confirmed by Turbo Action as the experimental unit referred to on their website as the start of the Cheetah. They're still selling them today. Here are some barn find pics and the engine stamps.
Attached Images

Attachments - The Supercar Registry 51275.jpg 51274.jpg 51273.jpg 51272.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 12-22-2016, 05:42 AM

Default Re: Barn find hemicuda convertible.

Cool story. Always love to hear the history of these great cars.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:47 AM

Thanked 2,378 Times in 752 Posts

The numbers photo you supplied is the engine assembly date info. The 1970 and 1971 engines were cast in 1969 and then assembled shortly thereafter. They were then stored away til orders came in to match them up with a car. April 17 of 1969 is not 13 days earlier. It is a year and 13 days - if your car built in April/May of 1970.

Here is a photo of my old 1971 hemicuda ragtops assembly info - it was built a little more than a year before the car in 1970 for a May, 1971 car.

The 1970 and 1971 cars had 1969 dated blocks, if that is of any help. The foundry that made the blocks had cast so many that they kept using them for two more years in production cars. If you ever find a 1970 or 71 cast block is most likely one of the rare (and valuable) high-nickel content, over the counter, blocks that the racers loved due to their strength. While it is unlikely it is your original block if the serial number is not the same, weirder things have happened (like when I found the block from a hemi '70 Charger built on the assembly line one car before mine and was 17 digits away from my VIN).

Do you have a photo of the casting date and the area where the VIN is/was on either block?
Old 12-22-2016, 11:01 AM

what's the 'maltese cross' stamp mean? Was that a MOPAR thing?
(obvious Chevy guy here)
Old 12-22-2016, 11:12 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: iluv69s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what's the 'maltese cross' stamp mean? Was that a MOPAR thing?
(obvious Chevy guy here) </div></div>

It's a mark of the Illuminati [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]

Actually the assemblers had a number of stamp codes used to denote over or undersized parts in the engine for later use. The maltese cross was (if I recall correctly) an indicator of a .001 undersized crankshaft bearings.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:21 AM

Just to clarify, when I was saying it is unlikely that it's your car's block I am referring to the block that you have who's &quot;vin which would be consistent with a warranty block&quot;. Warranty blocks had a blank engine VIN pad. Is that the 4/17/69 block or the other block you have?

(I didn't mean to raise doubt on your finding just to get more clarification of the info on the two blocks) [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Here's a link to the auction listing: http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Event...MI-CUDA-201349
Old 12-22-2016, 12:44 PM

&quot; Finding a date 13 days before my car I decided to enlist an expert which led to the revelation that this block is a production unit and according to the order number most likely original to my car!&quot;

Very cool and interesting.
Who was the expert you are referring to?

There is only one person I know that has a comprehensive list of all the bottom of block assembly dates and the sequence numbers.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:11 PM

Just wondering did this car get restored
1978 chevy shortbed stepside
1983 chevy shortbed
1985 chevy shortbed
If a hammer and duct tape wont fix it u have electrical problems!
Old 12-22-2016, 01:54 PM

Thanked 1,498 Times in 719 Posts

Mike, it sure did....see the link to the Barrett-Jackson auction listing in Steve's post above.

73 Camaro RS Z28, L82, M20, C60
Old 12-22-2016, 01:58 PM

Thanks Bill I didn't see that.
1978 chevy shortbed stepside
1983 chevy shortbed
1985 chevy shortbed
If a hammer and duct tape wont fix it u have electrical problems!