Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 08-14-2008, 09:21 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,872 Times in 1,002 Posts
Default Re: Diesel Tow vehicle options

Get the long box. My last three trucks had the intemediate box and now I am driving a long box. I MUCH prefer the added space of the long box dually and really have no trouble driving in parking lots or anywhere else. (It is just more expensive when you have blowouts )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations
Old 08-14-2008, 09:25 PM

Make sure to get a late 2004 or newer. In mid year they went to the LLY coded diesel.

Check out this link for what was changed:

http://www.thedieselpage.com/duramax/lly2004.htm
1969 Yenko Stinger YS-320
Southeast of Disorder
Old 08-14-2008, 09:31 PM

Chuck,

I am a big fan of the Chevy/ GMC Duramax trucks. I have a 2005 crew cab / short bed. All the different Duramax engines have their own little quirks / issues. I would recommend finding a truck in your price range and then visiting one of the Diesel Forums. I hang out at http://www.dieselplace.com they have a tremendous amount of information on all the Duramax engines with the known strengths and issues. There is even a section where someone will pull the build sheet and service record for your truck.

I can't comment on the mileage as my truck is not "stock" anymore but before the performance upgrades I was getting 20+ mpg.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Nils
Old 08-14-2008, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Evidently no one on this web site (being G.M. muscle car owners) is a fan of the Dodge/Cummins with 6 speed stick.

[/ QUOTE ]
The Cummins/manual trans setup is a dandy...but, a Dodge and a GM are *totally* different trucks...whereas the look/feel of the Dodge let you know you're in a truck, the GM models are more SUV or car-like. The Cummins is a good piece, but they've had some tranny & rear problems in the past...but *all* of the makes have their issues.

Question: are you *dead set* on going diesel? you mention it will sit a lot, which ain't good for any vehicle, but is a little trickier for a diesel...

As for what to look for, here's some highs/lows of the Dmax:

'01-'04: LB7 Dmax engine, '01s had water pump & head gasket problems, got that sorted out by '02, but then the ever popular injector problems popped up & GM extended the warranty on the LB7s to 7yrs/200k miles (roughly a 10-12 hour job & +/- $2,500 to replace injectors assuming you do it yourself, injectors are beneath valve covers so they're a booger to change)

'04.5-'06: LLY Dmax, got variable vein turbo & better injector design (moved them out from under valve covers) but the newer design injectors have been known to hang open and crack/burn pistons...also, something in the rad stack got changed and they're prone to be overheaters (can be cured for $1,000)...in '06 the Allison became a 6-speed

As for proof of maintenance, not a lot to tell, as most of the Dmax related problems aren't maintenance related, but design related...and unfortunately, as is true with most diesels, when something fails, it's usually REALLY expensive! Complexity has it's costs...!!
Old 08-14-2008, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(roughly a 10-12 hour job & +/- $2,500 to replace injectors assuming you do it yourself, injectors are beneath valve covers so they're a booger to change)

[/ QUOTE ]

And you can double that (or more) if you take it to the dealer!
Old 08-15-2008, 12:06 AM

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/795200212.html

Rob, This above Duramax is in Portland, OR

Seller bought this truck from Original (old man) in Florida at 50K miles and pulled a loaded trailer out to West Coast..truck now has 56K miles

Here's his story !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Hi Chuck, I towed a 40' 2 car hauler from Ga. loaded with 2 cargo trailers a 20' and a 16' had motorcycles in one and misc. in the other a total weight of 11,200. Tow rating for this truck is 12,950. Pulled with ease, no problems. I averaged 14 to16 mpg towing (he made side trip to N.C. before picking up trailers in GA) and 22 to 25mpg truck only, this truck has never been abused, not used as a work truck and was stored inside when not in use"

I still would like long bed, but probably could live with short................
70 Camaro R/S Z-28, L-78, R/S SS
69 Camaro COPO "recreation"
Old 08-15-2008, 12:20 AM

The *2* in the 8th VIN position denotes it's an LLY ('04.5)...not a bad price, but being as it's a 2wd with the cloth bench non-Bose/XM setup, there's a fair amount of wiggle room down for sure...thing looks as sharp as a 2 headed tack, though!
Old 08-15-2008, 12:38 AM

Chuck.......I have a Non-Dually crew cab 2006 LBZ DuraMax/Allison completely "Stock"......I just came back from Towing my 24' enclosed trailer from Gettsyburg, Pa.....720 miles each way.......averaged 12.7 mpg running between 65 and 70 mph (When the truck was New I did the same trip and got 9.8....29,000 miles on it now)......GM did a heck of a job on this combo.....with the extended wheelbase, I didn't know that there was a trailer back there........No Comparison between Gas and Diesel......Done it both ways and the Diesel wins hands down..........

Ken

The Best things in life......Aren't Things
Old 08-15-2008, 12:40 AM

Chuck: being as you are wanting a long bed anyway, you should take a look at the 3500 trucks...there are some SERIOUS STEALS on them right now, and they'll all be long bed, with either a single or dual wheels.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:51 AM

Thanks EVERYONE, I'm a terrible procratinator and dont want to regret this next purchase. I'm starting my 4 day heavy work schedule this evening, so will give ya'll a break.

I just dont know where to set my budget at, what I need and what I want, yada, yada..........

Best regards from Seattle
70 Camaro R/S Z-28, L-78, R/S SS
69 Camaro COPO "recreation"