Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Supercars/Musclecars-For Sale

Please note

Old 04-15-2010, 04:15 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: 1970 Chevrolet El Camino SS396 57k Actual Miles!

That is correct Joe. But when he does he has to be ready for some discussion and opinions. If a person runs an ad in a paper or Ebay or whatever there is always some type of discussion on the matter. Plus look at all the puplicity that Elky is getting.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:03 PM

I am with joe on this one. If you don't like the price, you don't buy it. If a guy has a car for sale in the paper, do you bother to call him just to say your price is too high. I think some real world etiquet should carry over to the internet world. Remember some comments could kill a sale, If that was anybody as the seller. That person would be less than happy about it. Stepping in someone else's shoe's is always a great reality check.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:30 PM

Well, I guess it's time to chime in.

First off, I am not, nor have ever been here to ruffle any feathers. In fact, I see no reason we all can't get along because we all have a great common interest here.

Here is my opinion for whatever it's worth or not worth for that matter.

I have been collecting cars for may years and have travelled the country and bought many cars for my collection from all over and can feel safe in saying that this particular car was(when I found it) and still is the nicest correct, documented and mostly original 1970 SS El Camino with all of it's born with drivetrain, I have ever seen(and I have seen many).

Now does it mean there are not a handful left that are as nice or possible nicer, hell no! Anything is possible. All I am saying is that they are few and far between.

As far as value, anything is only worth what one person is willing to pay and another is willing to accept, period. My price is set at what I feel is a very fair bottom line price for this particular car. That is my opinion and it is my car and my right to price it as I deem appropriate. Until and if a buyer comes along at that price, it is mine. I have certainly seen folks ask much more and offer much less. Either way, if a buyer is out there looking for something like this, it is my personal opinion based on my years of experience in this hobby that my price is very fair(not high and not low) giving consideration to the entire package of what this car has to offer.

For me personally, if I see something that I perceive for whatever reason is priced to high, I will either not comment or will compliment the vehicle and/or owner based on the positives. Even if I personally would not care to own it, that does not mean I don't have an appreciation for it because if the person that owns it and has taken the time, care and has an appreciation for the car, I can still have a great deal of respect for them and their car just because of my love for the hobby in general.

As far as anyone saying that a 1970 LS5 SS El Camino has a higher value that an 1970 L34 SS El Camino with all else being equal is something open for debate.

Since there are no hard production figures(not estimates) that I have ever seen for these two options(Z15 and Z25 respectively) and the factory horsepower ratings being 360HP and 350HP respectively, I simply cannot see that there would be any significant value difference between the two in my opinion. What value does 10HP and 52CI displacement difference really make if all else is the same?

I am confident that this will definitely, now turn into an opinion thread.

I have no problem with being corrected if I make a mistake and am certainly open to the opinions of others.

I can assure you that I as fair and as reasonable of a person as you will ever find or deal with.

Please guys, opinions are fine, but bashing is not. Feel free to voice your reasonable opinion as I look at everything with an open mind and am not interested in bashing anyone. If you have something to say that could be considered as counter-productive, please feel free to PM, email or even call and I will be happy to discuss it off thread as I truly do value the folks as well as the opinions offered by the folks on this site.

Have a great day!
Old 04-15-2010, 10:17 PM

Bryan, you raise some good points and you're a very patient guy. If I were you, I'd be furious about a couple of the posts made by others in your thread. I'm pretty sure your for sale ad was not inspired by the need for others to tender their opinion about the value of your car. Sorry to interrupt your thread and I wish you good luck with the sale!

I've asked Rob to research the forum software to see if he can configure the for-sale section to be "read-only", but it may not be possible.

SS
Old 04-15-2010, 10:17 PM

What the hell is going on with this site??? Twobryans, you DO NOT have to justify your price to anybody. Either someone is gonna buy it or they won't. Period. Sammy, you and I are cool so don't take this to personally, but why are you, and especially Ken (and several others), continually challenging the moderators? Like another forum owner told me in the past (and I did not like it). THIS IS NOT A DEMOCRACY!!! You have no right to continually challenge the moderators. It is a privilege to post on the sYc, not your right. The Clary's set the rules and the mods enforce them. If you don't like it, then start your own site about nothing because that is what the conversation on the sYc centers around now of days. God forbid we actually discuss a supercar because that might "offend" someone who doesn't own one or thinks their 79 Mustang II should be a supercar, or whatever.

I long for the days when the biggest controversy on the sYc was whether a Douglas Yenko should be considered a * or a supercar. Man, back then that was like a 15 page thread. It would be 50 pages now and I bet not one tenth of the substance that thread had. Rob, PLEASE look into a way you could change the code or whatever to make the classifieds like craigslist where they are read only and have a delete or edit feature, and that's it.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:19 PM

Thanked 4,420 Times in 650 Posts

My opinion is; that is one KILLER Elky and would love to have it.

There, I feel better now.

1966 Chevy Caprice 427-390
2012 Chevy Camaro RS Convertible]

Old 04-15-2010, 10:50 PM

Making it a read only For Sale section is not the hot set-up either IMO. I think people like to see what they are buying. Only thing that really took me a little on this Elky is the statement saying "survivor". The term seems to get watered down more and more. You guys are right, anybody can ask any price they want for their cars. The hire the asking price for certain cars, the tougher the judging is. That is just life. Don't think anybody picked the car apart though. P.S. Frankie, I would not challenge a moderator. I respect their positions. May not always agree, but would not challenge openly on the Site.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't the purpose of this site to discuss cars and to offer opinions??..........Sammy was just offering his opinion about the car........Being a little sensitive are we??................

Yep!!..........There go's that mean spirited Ken....starting trouble again......

Ken

[/ QUOTE ]

The Best things in life......Aren't Things
Old 04-16-2010, 01:33 AM

It's a truck. A very nice truck.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:48 AM

Thanked 5,356 Times in 1,880 Posts

C'mon everyone...settle down a bit. The seller Bryan has a really neat El Camino for sale and that's what it's about. I can't imagine there are many left in this condition

If we are truly concerned about what is being said...how much different is it that people are "calling out" the supposed offenders openly on the site...while at the same time saying that these same types of comments should be taken to PM's?

I learned a really long time ago on this site to have a thick skin...and to not take anything personally...and to think twice about what I was about ready to post...for fear of misunderstanding (on the part of the readership of the post). I use the PM feature frequently...Like Jeff Morocco...whose mailbox is full

I don't think that Sam meant what everyone 'thinks' that he posted...but who's to know? I certainly can't make that judgment...as I cannot mind read Sam

I, too, long for the days past where this type of stuff only happened during the dog days of winter...and even then rarely happened.

We all need to remember that we are adults...and in the grand scheme of things...is the banter really that necessary?

Anyways, Bryan...I hope that you have GREAT luck selling your bitchin El Camino...and please take one of your other neat rides out for a spin...it does wonders for the mind!