Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 04-18-2022, 01:09 PM

Mark, magazine do get it wrong sometimes. I looked at a 1965 Ford falcon with he K-code 289/271Hp, toploader and 4.30 gears. Now the magazine states only 7 total were built. I was told by the owner it was more like around 40? And, at the time, factory sponsored Ford racer Don Henderson, told me he believe there almost 1 for every 2 Ford dealers in Ontario. BUT since they were not well know for advertised, most were just sold as V8 Falcons.

I have seen what was believed to be a white with red int, and the black with red I was looking at buying. Plus the "Teacher's Pet" car in Motor Trend.
'78 Z28 32,000 survivor, Og Yellow paint, AC.
'69 CANADIAN Nova SS 396/350 hp
'67 CANADIAN Nova SS 427 10 sec. driver
'66 CANADIAN Nova SS Race Car
'61 CANADIAN Pontiac Bubble top 409+/4sp (SOLD)
'31 ALL STEEL Chevy P.U. GONE (EX-WIFES NOW)
Old 04-18-2022, 05:52 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 4,188 Times in 1,967 Posts

'

A few more pics of subject Cougar when w/ the Ford of Canada Performance Team.
Note names of those in the '70 Summernationals newspaper article including Wally Parks etc.
Is this car confirmed dead/alive also what of Dieter as he'd know also looks like he's on F'Book?

~ Pete

Attached Images

67BelAir427 (04-18-2022), ruralrte66 (04-18-2022), ZiggyL78 (04-19-2022)
Old 04-18-2022, 05:53 PM

Thanked 4,188 Times in 1,967 Posts

'

Attached Images

67BelAir427 (04-18-2022), L78_Nova (04-18-2022), ruralrte66 (04-18-2022)
Old 04-19-2022, 06:50 AM

and I quote...

I was told the car was in a crash, but that was just a rumor. The person that has it now, found it sitting in a driveway in Brampton, the person i sold it to passed away and his girlfriend sold it for $2500. to him. The car needed a repaint of the original colours and it had a big block 428 CJ replace a mild 351 Cleveland that i put in the car when i sold it, it was never in an accident..
Dieter

Last edited by ZiggyL78; 04-19-2022 at 07:00 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZiggyL78 For This Useful Post:
EZ Nova (04-19-2022), markinnaples (04-19-2022), PeteLeathersac (04-19-2022)
Old 04-19-2022, 01:27 PM

Thanked 1,365 Times in 662 Posts

Yeah, I had no idea whether the mag was right or not, just sharing what was said.
Thanks for the update. I wonder if the Lost Muscle Car Facebook page could find it. They've had a lot of luck finding some cars that people were looking for.
John 10:30
The Following User Says Thank You to markinnaples For This Useful Post:
PeteLeathersac (04-29-2022)
Old 04-19-2022, 03:58 PM

Speaking of rumours...the Mercury Cyclone is supposed to be in Edmonton AB in the same condition as depicted in the photos.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZAPPER68 For This Useful Post:
markinnaples (04-19-2022), PeteLeathersac (04-20-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 05:56 AM

So I want to veer off down a different road here because I had so much fun with this car I think you guys will enjoy the story. When I got involved with the Buicks back in the late 80s I was on the main Buick forum and I met this girl.

Long story but she became my GF and she lived in FL. Yes. How convenient. So for you Canadians out there if you have never gone out with an American girl, all I can tell you is you better have a strong rope and a stronger horse!

So 1 day I'm getting bored and I wanted to get away by myself. I couldn't just say. Well. I think I will take a little trip and I will see you in a couple of weeks and I don't know where I am going. Oh ya sure. Have a wonderful time. lol.

So plan B was to start a fight and see ya later. Works every time. Geez. I hope she isn't reading this. I had a buddy who owned a nice motel in Tampa. So off I went from Ft Myers. It was the middle of winter back home. No way was I going there. So I hung out going to the show, the dog track, and looking at cars for sale. I hadn't owned a Vette except for a rough 67 coupe. Another story. There was one of the largest used Corvette dealers in the country in Tampa so off I went. Man. I had never seen so many used Vettes before. So I decided I was going to spend somewhere around 20K and a C5 would work. You could pick your color as there were that many. I liked Magnetic red so I started hunting I had about 5 cars to choose from but nothing really got me excited. The girl running the place said she didn't have anything like what I wanted. Now, this dealer had it down on rebuilding Vettes. They would buy a crashed Vette tear it apart and cauterize all the parts. 80% of the crashed stuff was thrown out. Then they would sandblast a frame and powder coat it. The driveline is next and all body mounts and small stuff are new parts When you buy a used Vette not many guys replace body mounts, belts, plugs, wires, bulbs, hoses, windshields,etc.All such stuff is replaced with new. Because they have done it so many times the car goes together like clockwork with all quality stuff. These people take pride in their work and do it all right. All good body parts are picked out and assembled. The color of the car is decided and into the paint shop, it goes. After painting about a 1000 Vettes these guys knew their shit and every car came out almost perfect. The interior goes in next. If you have ever worked on a Vette you realize that the car is almost built to be easily assembled. Most shops drop the chassis out of the body to do a re&re. I did it once. Never again.

So I'm walking out of the yard and go by the shop and there it is. A Magnetic red(burgundy) coupe and it's just being finished. I look inside and it is an auto with tan leather and a virtual dash. So I go into the showroom and ask the girl what the story is and was expecting her to tell me it was sold. She told me to sit down and goes into the shop for about 10 minutes. I really don't think she knew a lot about the car. She comes back and says. Sorry! Oh no. It's sold! Sorry, Ken. I totally forgot about that car. She was the sales manager which I like as I would rather work with just one person. She gives me a number which of course is more than I want to spend. I try all the tricks and she is not moving. I think she started at 26500 and dropped to 25900 which was cheap for a nice C5 this clean. But even though this car was amazing it was BRANDED. Even though the car had no major parts rebuilt it still is branded. I told her I had 2 other cars to look at and I WALKED! I know. I can't believe I did it either. Remember. I have never owned a late model Vette and this car was like new. I was a bachelor on vacation in Florida. When I got back to the motel my message light was flashing I knew it was her.

We ended up settling at 24500. I went back to the dealer to settle up and she told me the car would be ready in two days. Two days later I'm on the patio of the motel waiting for the car to arrive. After having lunch I see the car coming down the street. It looked great, especially with the 5 spoke wheels that I added into the deal. Two guys get out of the car and one guy hands me the keys. He told me he has driven over a hundred C5s and that this one was as good as any of them. The other guy shakes my hand and says nice car. After they leave I take the car to the back where my room is to check it out. The car was like new. The tan leather went really well with the Magnetic Red.
04-19-2022 03:58 PM
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZiggyL78 For This Useful Post:
67BelAir427 (05-18-2022), PeteLeathersac (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 10:23 PM

So after I bought the Vette I planned a trip to Gainsville to meet some friends. I had been waiting for "Ghost Rider" to come out and it started the day I was leaving for Gainsville. I decided to go that night. Even though the movie was a little corny I really enjoyed it. I came out of the show and it was a perfect Florida night. I got on #75 with the tops off and I was off. I'm doing about 75 or 80 and these two guys go by on a pair of fast bikes and they're flying. I had been driving Buick GNs for quite a while and normally I wouldn't chase anything in high gear. These cars are really fast but they are not that quick on the top end without all the good stuff. Wait a minute. I'm not in a GN I'm in a LS1 Vette. These cars can go 180 with just a tune. I nail it and here we go! I can barely see their tail lights but soon I start to real them in. I passed them at 162 MPH!!! I came to my senses and slowed down and they caught up to me. They slowed down and looked the car over and gave me the thumbs up and took off again. I said to myself "you f**king idiot". You're in the US chasing 2 bikes at over 150 in a car you have only owned for less then a week!" Just as I'm contemplating what could have happened, out of nowhere this State Trooper pulls up behind me with the welcome lights flashing. Oh. I guess he wants to congratulate me on nailing those 2 bikes Geez! Now I'm done. He comes up to the car and says Mr Ziggy . How are you tonight? How does this guy know my name? How is Jane ? How does this guy know all this information? He tells me my GF had called the cops to pull me over as I forgot my pills. Wew! What a relief! I told him I just grabbed a few for the trip. He says OK. You take it easy. I thank him and then I do a smoking burn out as I disappear down the highway. Kidding. lol.

After going home a few weeks later I decide the car is not quick enough. Strange EH? I buy a used Cierra single turbo kit from a guy on the Corvette forum. Pretty easy install, but I am sure glad I had a hoist in the shop. Actually installing the new fuel system was the hardest part of the job. After everything was installed I programmed the stock ECM. I had a little experience tuning the GNs which helped a lot. I took the car out for a few shakedown runs to get the car set up. A buddy comes along to monitor the ecm. We set the boost and check the O2s. I also perked up the gas with some C16 just for some extra protection while testing.

Last edited by ZiggyL78; 05-18-2022 at 10:25 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ZiggyL78 For This Useful Post:
67BelAir427 (05-19-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 05:28 PM

I believe I may have occasionally seen this car in Ajax.

I remember hearing it (at idle) and thinking "that is one hell of a cam for a car that needs to pass emissions" (there was no question in my mind that this was not just a "cat back" exhaust I was hearing).

I am guessing, based on the pic you posted of the engine completely out of the car, that the modifications didn't end with a bolt-on turbo

Last edited by useless tony; 05-24-2022 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-26-2022, 01:19 AM

Single turbo motor sounded stock until you whacked it. The motor you heard was a 408 stroker. LQ9 with stock truck heads and twin turbos. It made 711 RWHP and went 9.90@145 3rd pass down the track. Too bad I sold it. It was an easy 9.40 car with better tires and some suspension work. My wife wouldn't get in the car after that. LOL.