Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 07-29-2008, 01:44 AM

Default My GM of Canada docs...

Just thought I would share.. ps anyone ever seen a code 71 with Dark Blue Vinyl Top? I havent

Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 07-29-2008, 03:34 AM

Default Re: My GM of Canada docs...

You are so lucky to be able to get proof of your car being real. This GM paperwork is so neat. I would pay GM 10 times their Canadian prices to get paperwork for my car. Maybe they could look a little harder for those files and create a profit center for themselves.
Mark Sheppard
Old 07-29-2008, 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You are so lucky to be able to get proof of your car being real. This GM paperwork is so neat. I would pay GM 10 times their Canadian prices to get paperwork for my car. Maybe they could look a little harder for those files and create a profit center for themselves.
Mark Sheppard

[/ QUOTE ]

In the early 90s, this service used to be FREE.

Also, you used to get a copy of an original GM document that showed the 5 cars prior to and after yours with ALL the same details...I`ll try to scan and post tomorrow.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:05 AM

here is an ad from the original dealer, that is still in business...

Old 07-30-2008, 03:48 AM

Chris, I likewise have one of those GM copies that shows about 10 vin's. There is another H.O. COPO on there besides mine. I've thought about trying to track it down but haven't done anything with the info.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:55 AM

The sheets referred to are the 'Monthly Vehicles Shipped Reports.' The vehicles are shown in the order they were produced with every piece of info listed including VINS and key codes. Initially, GM Canada included the entire sheet that had your car on it with the documentation package. I have one sheet with 55 1966 Chevy II's on it, including 11 L79's. They stopped sending these sheets in the mid 90's when cloning became fashionable.
Bob
Old 07-31-2008, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The sheets referred to are the 'Monthly Vehicles Shipped Reports.' The vehicles are shown in the order they were produced with every piece of info listed including VINS and key codes. Initially, GM Canada included the entire sheet that had your car on it with the documentation package. I have one sheet with 55 1966 Chevy II's on it, including 11 L79's. They stopped sending these sheets in the mid 90's when cloning became fashionable.
Bob

[/ QUOTE ]
I heard they destroyed all of the monthly vehicule reports.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:23 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,144 Posts

[/ QUOTE ]"...I heard they destroyed all of the monthly vehicule reports..."

[/ QUOTE ]

That's doubtful as aren't they what GM Canada Vintage Services still use to look up a Vin and gleen the options shipped w/ the specific Vin and prepare the Canadian car document packages?.

Understandable why they don't give copies anymore as cars have even appeared on this very site in the past that were questioned as being possibly created from Vins spotted on these microfilms and originally shipped w/ 'certain' options?.

~ Pete
Old 08-01-2008, 03:10 AM

Yes, it's my understanding these reports are on microfiche and are used to provide the documentation information. There is a period in 1966 where the microfiche was damaged and unreadable. GM Canada is unable to provide documentation for these cars. There is one L79 Acadian in the Canadian L79 Registry that fell into this period near the end of Jan/66. Fortunately, the original warranty book/POP and sales agreement were still with the car.
Bob
Old 08-01-2008, 04:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mark Sheppard

[/ QUOTE ]

GM in the US does not care about the files that would help us find and stayg clear of the fakes running around pretending to be the Real McCoy. They would have so many lawsuits to deal with, it's not worth it.
I spoke to a guy last year that did the searches before George took over and the Vintage group started charging people for them. Yes they used to be free but listed RPO, key codes, motor numbers options, etc. It had your VIN along with a dozen or so other VINS that also included key codes. That's why they went to the layout from post #1. BTW, GM US does have some paperwork BUT, they were not in one central location like GM Canada had. Some docs are lost and the rest are probably in boxes. If GM cared about the little fish in the sea (Performance gear heads) then the papers would be available as they are in Canada. The only good point in all this is that Pontiac was the only division that kept the records. I guess that means you need to go buy yourself a Goat.