Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Pit Area - Racing

Old 02-11-2014, 06:16 PM

Default Re: Erica Enders

I have a feeling a lot of the NHRA is going to be different due to the rising costs and lack of sponsership. I can't say I'm surprised at any of it.For the costs associated with running a team, I can't imagine how much revenue you need to bring in to remain profitable. It's all about the dollars anymore.What happened to the ADRL? Could be the rise of Sportsman classes?

BIG
Old 02-11-2014, 07:22 PM

Thanked 5,346 Times in 1,875 Posts

No more Mike Edwards either....sold everything during the off season...
Old 02-11-2014, 08:49 PM

IMO, will be embarrassing if in the future, on Sunday, there are bye runs due to less then 16 cars entered in the pro classes. This past weekend there were only 17 PS cars entered, 19 in both TF and FC. Next weekend there are 16 TF, 17 FC and 18 PS. Maybe the numbers will grow as the season progresses, but normally they go the other way, as teams on limited budgets run out of parts, and $$$.

Also of concern to NHRA (I would think) his past weekend Superstock and Stock were full, but this coming weekend only about 48 slots out of the 60 allowed are filled.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:16 PM

The grandstands looked a little sparse too. Nascar also has the same ills- dwindling sponsors and fans. I don't know what would turn things around either..
Old 02-11-2014, 09:21 PM

Connolly deserves a fulltime ride. The guy's money on the tree.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Damien</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dave Connolly is still with Cagnazzi Racing but has a full time drive now that Johnny Gray is the sponsor. The last couple of years he was Erica's crew chief as well as driving at the occasional event. </div></div>
Old 02-12-2014, 12:46 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: L78racer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The grandstands looked a little sparse too. Nascar also has the same ills- dwindling sponsors and fans. I don't know what would turn things around either.. </div></div>

In my opinion both organizations need to get back to their roots and make the cars / sport something that the average guy can relate to. Remember when the cars in NASCAR looked like the cars we all could buy off the showroom floor? (Win on Sunday, sell on Monday). Today they all share the same basic shape with the only distinguishing factor being a different decal package.

The cars in the NHRA (except the sportsman classes) look nothing like the cars they are supposed to represent. While I enjoy watching the pro categories (Top Fuel, Funny Car and Pro Stock) I think Super Stock and Stock are more affordable to run and are something that more enthusiasts can relate to.

Televise these classes and create another class that runs with manual transmissions to highlight driver skill and car set up.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:29 AM

One more of her winning rd 1

http://vimeo.com/86442442

Dave
67 Nova Boy
Old 02-12-2014, 12:49 PM

I heard he lost his engine builders to another team.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:50 PM

Unfortunately, there's really not much about any type of racing that is &quot;affordable&quot;.

My wife and I bracket raced for 7 years, before we had kids. It was alot of fun, but we spent a small fortune during that time, compared to our relative income level.

Speed costs money and anyone that has ever driven a racecar knows that faster is always better. Every upgrade leads to breaking the next weakest part. Just thumb through a Jegs catalog - aluminum rims $300 each, camshafts $350, MSD box $500+. Racing isn't an affordable pastime! Has anyone looked at the cost of fuel and travel lately? Just getting to and from the track could set you back $200+ every event.

As for stock or superstock, or any other &quot;Super&quot; class for that matter, the parts and specifications are so specialized in many cases that they cost more than you'd ever expect. Now, to be competitive... that's a whole different story!

I hate to be the rainy face here, but everything costs more and there's little hope of turning back the clocks. Perhaps the best chance of getting back to cars like we watched in our youth is the pure stock racing, where the car would still have significant value as a restored vehicle. At least that way you'd kind of get a two-for-one investment.

Blair
Old 02-12-2014, 02:00 PM

Any hobby, racing, fishing, golf, hunting, etc can get expensive, if you allow it to consume you. Even the &quot;pure stock&quot; guys.

Though purists do not care for bracket racing, it can be relative inexpensive, as for the most part, bracket racing is more about being consistent then going faster. Just as in the old days, you can drive the family sedan to the track and take home some $$$ and/or a trophy, if you are a good enough driver. I see it all of the time.