Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 07-17-2017, 01:32 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

I am surprised no one has mentioned Tom and Rob Clary in this discussion. Tom and his son Rob not only started this site but also put on the first Super Car Reunion! They are still heavily involved in the Reunion. I also have to say this site and the reunion began from the love and interest for these cars and other people who love them!
A lot of great friends have been made over the years through this site and the Super Car Reunion. Thank You Tom and Rob!
Jamie
The Following User Says Thank You to livettes For This Useful Post:
PeteLeathersac (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 02:19 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

Great memories... Remember the Yenko in the Hotel lobby?
Old 07-17-2017, 02:22 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

I think it was Cliff Ernst's car. He was also there at the start.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:45 PM

Jamie, thanks for the nice post.

It all started with a conversation between myself and Brian Henderson at the Camaro Nats in Pigeon Forge, maybe 1997, where I was showing our recently restored ’69 Yenko Camaro and Brian was there with Kory Smith’s ’68 Yenko Camaro. I was a newbie to the hobby and was quizzing Brian about where all of the supercars were, as only 3-4 at the Nats. Brian said most owners of supercars had tired of how the hobby had moved away from original musclecars, thus were staying at home. Because Brian and I were both there with Yenkos, the idea was to do a Yenko Reunion.

I contacted John Connelly with the Yenko estate to get the Yenko family’s approval, made a trip to Hendersonville, TN to visit with Cliff Ernst about hosting the event, as he owned 25-30 Yenkos at the time, as well as a Holiday Inn. He agreed, and while there, the idea to go to a local drag strip was launched.

I did not want the reunion to be just another “car show”, but more like the larger ones, with a banquet, with special speakers and guests. No judging, instead each participant receiving a simple trophy.

With a time and place set, the next concern was how to publicize the event. That is where Rob came in. He created Yenko.net and was its webmaster until Charlie took over.

As word spread about the event, I got a call from owners of other non-Yenko supercar owners, who asked to be included. Thus, the Yenko Reunion became the Supercar Reunion. John Connelly arranged for Hope Yenko, Donna Mae Mims and Ed Lowther to attend and he also set up a auction of Yenko memorabilia. To say SCR1 was a success would be a huge understatement.

Because of the success of SCR1, it was decided to do another, and another, to where we are today and SCR20.

We had no idea how much buzz SCR1 would create within the musclecar hobby. TV coverage from My Classic Car, big spread in Super Chevy and other mags, all over the internet, the new found interest in the supercars was unbelievable.

In the beginning one could join the club and receive a newsletter. This soon became too big of a job, with the club’s fast paced growth. Through the years, there have been reunion diecast models, various t-shirts, caps, jackets and various decals (thanks to the late Steve Sandlin) and other collectibles.

To have watched how collectible the cars became, the steep rise in their value, the many shows featuring “supercar” themes and exhibits, mind boggling to say the least.

But the best part, at least for me, of course the many, many rare supercars I have got to see up close and personal, many on the drag strip, but most importantly, the many friendships I have been able to create. I am proud to say several of my closest friends were made through the SYC and SCR.
CamarosRus (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 02:45 PM

And yes, at SCR1 Cliff had a ’68 Yenko Camaro in the lobby of the host hotel.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:00 PM

Amen. And if I remember correctly, then along came Marlin with the deuces.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:08 PM

Thanked 1,990 Times in 637 Posts

Many thanks to Tom, Rob and Charley for such a great site, I learn something new almost every day it seems. I also remember the early days of the club with the newsletter that had a password in it to get in to the members website, my how times have changed. We went to a Super Car Reunion in Springfield, Mo.(2001?) after I read a write-up about a previous show in Muscle Car Review, to see so many rare and desirable under one roof was simply mind boggling to me back then! I still have a photo album from that show with probably 100 pictures in it and to this day it's the best show I've been to except for the MCACN. Nothing like a good trip down memory lane to get me excited about the future. I'd love to get a 427 back in our old beater and drive it to a SCR at least once!
Old 07-17-2017, 07:55 PM

Too many stories and memories to share ...
Old 07-17-2017, 08:43 PM

This is a well run, well owned, website.

I appreciate all the efforts to make it and keep it what it is today:-)

Ryan

1969 Beaumont 350 Auto White Sold
1969 Beaumont 307 Auto Green Sold
1969 Chevelle SS 396-L35 Auto Blue Sold
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass 'S' Sports Coupe W31
Old 07-23-2017, 02:20 AM

Congrats to you Steve! I am sure you will be as good a steward as you are of the vehicles.
I didn't even realize the member numbers were no longer on the posts...
I found the site march of 2001 when I found a Daytona Yellow COPO and was searching for information... there were less than 200 members at that time and sometimes it would be days between posts. Amazing how the site has progressed...
NCRS#65120
68 GTO HO 4 spd Alpine Blue /Parchment 2 owner car
#21783 71 Corvette LT1 45k miles Orig paint - Brandshatch Green - National Top Flight - last known 71 LT1 built.
71 Corvette LT1 42k miles Original paint - Black - black leather - only black LT1 known to exist.
NUMEROUS Lemans blue Camaros,
Monza Red and Daytona Yellow Corvettes
& a Chevelle or two...
Survivors, restored cars, & other photos
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos

Last edited by firstgenaddict; 07-23-2017 at 02:41 AM.