Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Baldwin-Motion Performance

Old 07-08-2019, 02:26 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Daytona Yellow 69 Camaro

Hello sYc, I wanted to share some info and pics of a 1969 Camaro a friend of mine picked up. We got the car and being a numbers guy I began checking it out. The engine and trans are missing and it is quite obvious the Camaro had see some race days- wheel wells opened up for large tires, tow tabs, and a sun tach box on the drivers inner fender. Now keep in mind i am Chevelle guy and still learning Camaros, so the CRG pages are worn out from my search for info. the body tag shows X11, the bulkhead has X1 written on it as well. it has black deluxe interior (712). Where it begins to get interesting to me is it has a big block heater cover, the cowl hood harness and throttle arm. there is a 12 bolt in the car but we have determined it is not the original unit, the Camaro is a 03D build and the current rear end is BU1112G1with the E below it. it has traction bars but i am not sure of the manufacturer, they are angled on both ends and use the J bolts. The body is Daytona Yellow (76-76) and there appears to be a single black stripe on what remains of the original yellow paint. The core support appears to be the original and still has the tuning decal on it even though it had been painted over at some point,I carefully removed the paint and it appears it was a CH or 375hp tuning decal-the image shows the original one on top and an example of the CH decal below. We received the NCRS document and it identified Baldwin Motor Co as the dealer and Mar 26 1969 as the production date. Well just wanted to see if anyone might know of some good sources for tracing info related to Baldwin and anything else we might be able to check to identify more info about this interesting Camaro. Thanks Andy
Attached Images

Team Chevelle #3135
ACES #08305
1969 Chevelle Trim Tag Research (On-going)
Attachments - The Supercar Registry vv5654.jpg untitled.png tuning decal comparison.jpg traction bar pass side.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 07-08-2019, 02:46 AM

Looks like your friend made a nice score if the body is salvageable. I believe that Joel Rosen May authenticate a legitimate Baldwin Motion modified car, but I don’t know the best way to reach him. I believe he’s affiliated with this site... someone correct me if not.

http://www.officialbaldwinmotion.com/

Best of luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to L78M22Rag For This Useful Post:
1967 4K (02-15-2020)
Old 07-08-2019, 03:16 AM

The traction bars dont look like Motion Super Bite traction bars... they look like the 71ish Lakewood Grumpy redesigns with rear clamping for deceleration stability... however... as most know.. Joel and the boys would put whatever you wanted on the car at your request. Being sold at Baldwin its probable that the owner did what most did.. went to the shop and bought individual Motion parts to get close to a Motion car spec.

Joel will definately authenticate a Motion car for a fee... best to do a lot more leg work before contacting him directly. looking forward to seeing what other secrets this old girl is going to give up..

X11 = non-SS396, non-Z28, with style trim
X11 was the "catch all" code because so many models had the same body trim.
So X11 could be:
1. Plain Jane with style trim (any motor except, 302, 350/300 and all 396's)
2. SS350
3. RS/SS350
4. RS

"" Note that some COPO 427's were X11.!!!!"

Best wishes
Attached Images

Last edited by smallblockhero; 07-08-2019 at 03:23 AM. Reason: add pic
Old 07-08-2019, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblockhero View Post
The traction bars dont look like Motion Super Bite traction bars... they look like the 71ish Lakewood Grumpy redesigns with rear clamping for deceleration stability... however... as most know.. Joel and the boys would put whatever you wanted on the car at your request. Being sold at Baldwin its probable that the owner did what most did.. went to the shop and bought individual Motion parts to get close to a Motion car spec.

Joel will definately authenticate a Motion car for a fee... best to do a lot more leg work before contacting him directly. looking forward to seeing what other secrets this old girl is going to give up..

X11 = non-SS396, non-Z28, with style trim
X11 was the "catch all" code because so many models had the same body trim.
So X11 could be:
1. Plain Jane with style trim (any motor except, 302, 350/300 and all 396's)
2. SS350
3. RS/SS350
4. RS

"" Note that some COPO 427's were X11.!!!!"

Best wishes
Are there any known COPOs out of Baldwin Chevrolet?
Old 07-08-2019, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGrunt View Post
Are there any known COPOs out of Baldwin Chevrolet?
none that ive ever heard of..
Old 07-08-2019, 09:55 AM

Wow, that one is certainly a bit crusty. It does have a lot of signs of being a COPO with the BB heater core and single 3/8" fuel line. I would suggest pulling the heater core and checking the date code to help determine if it is original to the car. As mentioned the rectangular traction bars are '71 or later.

No documented COPOs that I am aware of from Baldwin and as I recall at one of the SCR's that Marty Schorr, and Joel Rosen attended many years ago they mentioned the 427 COPO program wasn't known to Baldwin Chev.

Certainly an interesting find.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:26 AM

appreciate the input. definitely an interesting camaro. i did notice one baldwin listing in the registry and it is in the same vin range but later. i will try to verify the date on the fan motor and provide an update. thanks again
Team Chevelle #3135
ACES #08305
1969 Chevelle Trim Tag Research (On-going)
Old 07-08-2019, 11:35 AM

Thanked 1,627 Times in 482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COPO View Post

No documented COPOs that I am aware of from Baldwin and as I recall at one of the SCR's that Marty Schorr, and Joel Rosen attended many years ago they mentioned the 427 COPO program wasn't known to Baldwin Chev.

I remembers this also
Joel said they did not buy COPO 427 Camaro and Chevelles
they did their own conversions

other things to look for are extra holes for emblems like the SS 427 emblems
or holes for side pipes, fuel pumps, etc

do you have a picture of the complete car?
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeC For This Useful Post:
x Baldwin Motion (03-15-2020)
Old 07-08-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Wow, that one is certainly a bit crusty. It does have a lot of signs of being a COPO with the BB heater core and single 3/8" fuel line. I would suggest pulling the heater core and checking the date code to help determine if it is original to the car. As mentioned the rectangular traction bars are '71 or later.
It also has the bow tie badging as well as the cowl induction harness. It definitely has the appearance of a COPO.

Quote:

I have only seen one pic of a Motion car that appeared to be a COPO but it wasn’t yellow and was without style trim.

The pics are from an article in Hi Performance CARS (November 1969) featuring the installation of the Hone OD. It was a 427, auto on the column, 4:56 rear. The article says owner Marc Cohen drove it back to his home in Ohio from New York, and referred to it as a Phase III car. It doesn't really say if it was a Baldwin purchased car or if he brought it in to be Phase III tuned.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GotGrunt For This Useful Post:
PeteLeathersac (07-08-2019), x Baldwin Motion (08-22-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 12:15 PM

Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,966 Posts

'

Super CL...check the inner fender extensions for 427 markings!
Not Baldwin but Brent's DynaMotion car is the closest Motion/9561 combination I can think of?

~ Pete