Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Pit Area - Racing

Old 09-15-2009, 07:12 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,149 Posts
Default Re: FAST getting faster

Very impressive,but specifically,what's the difference between the vehicles running in the FAST series races,and the vehicles running in the Pure Stock Muscle Car drag races?
Old 09-15-2009, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Very impressive,but specifically,what's the difference between the vehicles running in the FAST series races,and the vehicles running in the Pure Stock Muscle Car drag races?

[/ QUOTE ]
FAST is *stock appearing*...anything you can hide as, or within, the stock visible part is fair game. Like 500+ cube'd roller engines, extrude hone'd intake/ehxuast manifolds, significant weight savings all around, spools, etc, etc...it just has to "look" correct. Beyond that is up to your imagination...
Old 09-15-2009, 07:24 PM

Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,149 Posts

Hollowed out R-59 battery cases too?..
Old 09-15-2009, 08:22 PM

I wonder if you turned the traction control 'off' and bolted a set of 11 inch slicks on these cars...would..could they run any faster without any other tuning????
Old 09-15-2009, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder if you turned the traction control 'off' and bolted a set of 11 inch slicks on these cars...would..could they run any faster without any other tuning????

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm gonna say *yes*...while their 60' times on the Polyglass tires are nothing short of AMAZING (I heard a 1.61 @ Etown last week!), you're still talking about channelling well over 600hp in most cases through a mere 6" wide tread. With a set of slicks they could dial in more HP right from the start, instead of moving it to a more managable point down track...

I wanna say when they had the 3 car "FAST on Slicks" shootout in the middle of Drag Week a couple years ago, they picked up a few tenths & mph by going to the stickies. Just figure they gain 2 tenths in the 60', that's 3 tenths at the other end...
Old 09-16-2009, 04:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
FAST is *stock appearing*...anything you can hide as, or within, the stock visible part is fair game. Like 500+ cube'd roller engines, extrude hone'd intake/ehxuast manifolds, significant weight savings all around, spools, etc, etc...it just has to "look" correct. Beyond that is up to your imagination...

[/ QUOTE ]

F.A.S.T = Factory Appearing Stock Tire...right?...anyone have Pennington's contact info?...he used to show up at SCR...right?
Old 09-16-2009, 05:47 AM

Pennington goes by "Big Dog" here on the site, but it's best just to call him...I'll pm you his #...he's super busy getting ready for Stanton (Pure Stock Drags) Friday so you may have to leave a message.

Terry's had his orange FAST ZL-1 Camaro at the SCR before...think he rans some 10s in the 95 degree heat...
Old 09-17-2009, 06:01 PM

Ed Cook's kid James might have run one of the most impressive FAST times ever, especially when you take a look at the package.

-A pretty bread and butter 493" motor. It's got a good set of heads(but not the best), a roller and some compression. The motor has NO ultra trick internal mods, just small stuff. The basic components in the motor have been together for 4 years of abuse at every event.

- It's one of the few 4 speed cars in the class. And NO fancy whoopdedoo $3K slipper clutch. He has been running a Centerforce dual friction clutch that is 3 years old.

-Unlike EVERY other competitor in the faster end of the class that is running cars with trick weight ballast, vacuum pumps, specially treated tires and ultra flyweight-gutted out cars, this RR has none of that. The car weighs 3925# with the driver. It's in "as shown" condition.

Oh, and the kid just got out of high school.

11.12@126++
Old 09-19-2009, 07:37 AM

The kid is the real deal when it comes to banging gears with a 4 speed; smooth, fluid, nearly flawless, and always hits his shifts at the right time. I've been teasing him a little about putting my 4spd back in and going into the 10's all over again, but today he told me that he'd be there before I could get my tranny switched out. He could be right!