Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 06-16-2018, 12:17 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Congratulations, you sure knocked that ball out of the park! Looking forward to watching these cars come back to life.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:36 PM

Default Picking up the cars...

Sharing some more photos from the progress this last week...Picking up more parts from the storage unit and the Z.
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2018, 01:43 PM

Default Now the Pace Car...

Making the final run.
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2018, 01:54 PM

Thanked 1,120 Times in 639 Posts

A L78 4 speed car, that's great!
I noticed this yesterday. You might be needing it for the pace car. https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=149408
Old 06-16-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigpud View Post
Both the Z/28 and the Pace Car have matching numbers engines...

But the huuuuuuge news is that the Pace Car IS in fact an L78 396/375HP 4-speed car. I am floored!
Incredible amount of good fortune and planetary/galaxy alignment .
Whole lotta awesome in that pair .

a salutation of congratulations !
Old 06-16-2018, 11:28 PM

WOW - super great find - congrats - now you have your hands full with stuff to do!!

68 COPO Camaro 9737 non-converted YENKO
69 YENKO SC Camaro, Hugger Orange - born with engine!
Old 06-17-2018, 02:02 AM

Thanked 5,976 Times in 2,915 Posts

Congrats, one of the Holy Grail Camaros for sure.
Old 06-17-2018, 05:45 PM

A couple of great cars for sure. I am sure you will get all the numbers verified before spending "Holy Grail" type money on a resto.

As a LEO, I think you can understand exploring all options in an investigation, so don't take it personal if I ask a way out there "what if" question. What if the guy who owned these cars and the faked L89 in the other thread is the one who started the forgery on the L89 by gathering the right parts and getting the correct stamping way back when, before it was stolen? Then maybe he was going to do the same with these project cars.

Or perhaps it really is just an "Incredible amount of good fortune and planetary/galaxy alignment" in your favor.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesinHBCA View Post
A couple of great cars for sure. I am sure you will get all the numbers verified before spending "Holy Grail" type money on a resto.

As a LEO, I think you can understand exploring all options in an investigation, so don't take it personal if I ask a way out there "what if" question. What if the guy who owned these cars and the faked L89 in the other thread is the one who started the forgery on the L89 by gathering the right parts and getting the correct stamping way back when, before it was stolen? Then maybe he was going to do the same with these project cars.

Or perhaps it really is just an "Incredible amount of good fortune and planetary/galaxy alignment" in your favor.
James,

Oh I can assure you. We have absolutely discussed this as a likely scenario. But given the amount of documentation on these two cars, including a series of registration paperwork from the previous owners, it seems unlikely.

We too even thought it was too good to be true when we first discovered them. In the paperwork, I did also find paperwork regarding a loan he had taken out from a local bank for the pace car when he picked it up. The price he paid in the early 90's for that car definitely seem appropriate for that time.

Also, we have found some very compelling/damning information regarding the third stolen Camaro; with much of the thanks to some of the fellow members of this forum!

Our biggest obstacle unfortunately falls on the widow whom we purchased these other two from as she may no longer have enough documentation on their old car. But I have some resources out there that may help our cause.

Regarding the state of the current cars, we had to ask ourselves why he would have ever left them in such a state of repair. But, as we have been told, he was just fanatical about restoring his cars as much as he could by hand.

Even though we have quite extensive ownership history on the two we purchased, we definitely want to check all the boxes before moving further!
The Following User Says Thank You to dabigpud For This Useful Post:
ZLP955 (06-17-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigpud View Post
I did also find paperwork regarding a loan he had taken out from a local bank for the pace car when he picked it up. The price he paid in the early 90's for that car definitely seem appropriate for that time.
Others likely know more than i do regarding early 90's pricing trends on 69 Camaro's.
But i had both hands on the wheel and fingers firmly on the pulse searching out for an upscale-minty 69 RS/SS in 1987-88 span.

69 RS/SS X22 D80 Blk/Blk Deluxe - 375hp Iron Head - 4spd - Tach Gauges Console plus etc..., #'s ,
Mint restored bottom to top .
$8500

69 RS/Z28 X33 D80 was either Orange or White/Orange Dogbite - Endura - JL8 RWD - Cowl Induction - Tach Gauges Console plus etc.., #'s ,
Mint restored bottom to top .
$10,500

I was a serious candidate on the Black SS.
Shuffled my feet for half a day too long - lost out.

Thought the Z was too far overpriced.
Didn't even test drive it.
Sorry i cant remember if it was White w/ Orange stripes - or Orange w/ White stripes.

Same owner , both cars in same place at same time.
"Big John" Akes of High Point NC if anyone remembers him.

Prices kept climbing up through 92-93 , then things started leveling out / softening for a pretty good while.

I'm guessing 1992 price on that Pace-Vert in good used-unrestored condition was around 25-30k zone - full retail.

PS - ironically , the Faktry Black SS i missed , the guy who bought it immediately color changed it to GarnetRed as tribute to his former car in his high school days.
Just the opposite of what happened to the stolen Garnet car going to Black.

Last edited by Baron Von Zeppelin; 06-17-2018 at 11:40 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Baron Von Zeppelin For This Useful Post:
Tracker1 (06-18-2018)

Tags
4 leaf clover bouqet, solid gold horseshoe