Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 02-11-2007, 07:01 PM

Default A New Scam ....

..... or at least one I haven't heard of before. I sold the NOS dash on Ebay last week and did very well on it. It is paid for and gone.

I get emails from 2 of the bidders this week saying they recieved Second Chance Offers on the dash but it was not my email address listed to respond to. It was a real Ebay looking page but as with some other scams it listed the bidders Ebay name but not their real name.
So if you recieve a secong chance offer be sure and check it out before sending any money!
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 02-11-2007, 07:26 PM

Default Re: A New Scam ....

Hi Ray:
Ebay said a few months ago they have that cleaned up clearly they still donot. We had that happen a few months back.
The latest I got hit with only two weeks ago and I shared with some site members was I got a question in my e-mail about a part I had listed for sale. This is common and I always answer them.
The question was why is your part twice as much money as this one listed here can you take a look and let me know.
I hit respond.Up pops the usual ebay page signed in which I completed with my password. Next thing a monkey pops up laughing at me and my inbox started to get mail after mail of bidders pulling out of my auctions.I hollared for my little girl and of course she knew exactly what was going on and went in and changed my e-bay password immediately.
That took 5 minutes. In that time they cancelled all my bidders in my auctions and sent them all a offer of the same product for half price with their address. Bid on 15 items I never did and sent 23 e-mails the same as they sent me to people from selling shoes to motorcycle parts.I kept telling people I was not sending them these but boy were they getting pissed. If they clicked in like I did then this guy would have their account info.
E-bay of course has no phone number but I was sending them e-mail after e-mail trying to get help.
They said if my paypal password had of been the same as e-bay and it was just a fluke it was not they would have cleaned out my paypal account and if I didnot change the e-bay password before they did everything I have done with them since 99 would have had to be cleaned.
Lesson learned is never reply to a e-bay message from your inbox, check to see if it indeed from ebay.com and have a different password on every sire you visit.
I was lucky. I do have to say they had it all cleaned up within 24 hours but my little girl 14 saved the day for me.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:40 PM

WOW ... that's scary!
Old 02-11-2007, 07:53 PM

Big Time. One bidder actually sent me a copy of the offer he got which I sent directly to e-bay. They got the bidder to contact him for payment details which of course he came back .Then they had him. He was actually in england.
What happened after that I don't know. I was told to be cautious around listings that offer free shipping for items that cannot be placed in a letter. That is usually a indicator since they have no idea what the part is your are really selling and have no intention to ship or find out what it would cost to ship.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:33 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

[ QUOTE ]
Up pops the usual ebay page signed in which I completed with my password.

[/ QUOTE ]

NEVER respond to anything in your e-mail inbox from "eBay" unless it is in your eBay Messages inbox. Delete everything in your e-mail from eBay that requires you to respond, especially with login information. ONLY respond through eBay's Message system. If it ain't in your eBay Messages then it's a phishing expedition by a scammer.

If you're still in doubt, forward it to eBay and await a reply: [email protected]
Old 02-11-2007, 10:14 PM

Bill you are so right. 8 years no problem, then bang. I learned the hard way.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:04 AM

Also, Ebay and Paypal email will always address you by your name.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, Ebay and Paypal email will always address you by your name.

[/ QUOTE ]

That reminds me--eBay owns Pay Pal so my above advice applies to Pay Pal scam attempts as well.