Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 08-30-2005, 05:29 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: $5 Million Dollar HEMI CUDA Convertible!!

Interesting how about 50% of the Hemi-Chargers built are accounted for by Galen. About the same for 70 Hemi-Challengers. He has information on 145 of the 287 built in 70. Some wrecked, dismantled or rotted out. Very slowly that number has been going up. Still some out there to be discovered and those that don't want to be recorded. Patrick
Old 08-30-2005, 05:53 PM

But, knowing Galen, you can't combine a percentage (# of Hemis) with a percentage (# of cars with SE option), right? So it's not a hard, real number.

Using the Hemicuda ragtop of this thread, we know 7 US-spec cars were built. Let's assume In Violet was the most popular color that year. Are we to assume that at least one of the ragtops is this color because over 10% of 'Cudas were this color? Because, statistically speaking, that cannot be.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But, knowing Galen, you can't combine a percentage (# of Hemis) with a percentage (# of cars with SE option), right? So it's not a hard, real number.

Using the Hemicuda ragtop of this thread, we know 7 US-spec cars were built. Let's assume In Violet was the most popular color that year. Are we to assume that at least one of the ragtops is this color because over 10% of 'Cudas were this color? Because, statistically speaking, that cannot be.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct! Patrick
Old 08-30-2005, 07:31 PM

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

FC7 In Violet was no-where near the most popular color. My guess is that FE8 Green would be. I think the most logical guess was that about 10% of the Charger R/Ts had the SE package. But keep in mind that in 69 buyers were prohibited from ordering an R/T-SE with a hemi. When 70 rolled around, no one advertised the fact to the dealers that the ban was lifted, so that further reduced the amount ordered. I will have to check my numbers books and get back to you. But you are correct, there is no way to extrapolate by combining percentages to arrive at a finite number of Hemi + option A + option B numbers. The 14 I refer to is, as I said, known cars per Galen's info. (Also one of those cars is a Canadian car, so that makes it 13 US and 1 Canadian.)

On the Challenger it's a lot more definitive because the hemi Challenger R/T-SE was a specific VIN code JS29RO instead of regular hemi R/T which was JS23R0 if I recall correctly. The hemi R/T ragtop would be JS27RO
Old 08-30-2005, 07:35 PM

How come you were not allowed to order a hemi in 69?
Old 08-30-2005, 07:39 PM

I was talking about 1971 Hemicudas, and F8 was not available in 1971.

However, in 1970, F8 was not the most popular color for the Charger R/T. Check out http://host219.ipowerweb.com/~1970ch.../RT_Codes.html and you'll see there are at least two other colors that were built in greater numbers.

Also, you'll see from that site that approximately 1452 Charger R/T SEs were built. If you apply (statistically incorrectly, might I add) the 1.2% of Hemi production to that, it comes to 17 or so, so I guess we know the number "14" doesn't come from that incorrect math.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think something mechanical that was necessary with the Hemi was incompatible with the SE package. I can't remember what.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was talking about 1971 Hemicudas, and F8 was not available in 1971.

However, in 1970, F8 was not the most popular color for the Charger R/T. Check out http://host219.ipowerweb.com/~1970ch.../RT_Codes.html and you'll see there are at least two other colors that were built in greater numbers.

Also, you'll see from that site that approximately 1452 Charger R/T SEs were built. If you apply (statistically incorrectly, might I add) the 1.2% of Hemi production to that, it comes to 17 or so, so I guess we know the number "14" doesn't come from that incorrect math.

[/ QUOTE ]

14 are registered in Galens Registry. There is a possibility Chrysler built more. Doubtful though. Galens numbers don't imply production numbers in many cases. Just vehicles registered.

2 known 70 Hemi-Challengers with factory T/A hoods listed in his regsistry. Are there more? Maybe. In 25 years he's only found 2. Mine and a Triple Black drag car. It was parted out 20 years ago. Their were so called rumors of the factory running out of Shakers in late 70 and replacing the N96 Shaker hood with N94 T/A hoods. More myth then fact.

Patrick
Old 08-30-2005, 09:11 PM

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think something mechanical that was necessary with the Hemi was incompatible with the SE package. I can't remember what.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could get a hemi in a Charger R/T in 69, but not an R/T-SE. Chrysler was wierd with its rules back then. It could have been something as stupid as the 14" SE hubcaps not being available on the 15"x6" wheels that were required with a hemi in 1969. In 1970 there was no mandatory 15" wheel on a hemi B-body, only on E-bodies, so that may be why the restriction was lifted. (My car came with 14"x6" Rallyes)
Old 08-30-2005, 10:16 PM

Regarding fine art . . . it's not a good comparison. Art is universal. Musclecars are cultural.

Art can be used for a comparison in this case as a comparison of "collector thinking".
Any thing valued on pure rarity and not on beauty alone could be compared this way.
Heck, not all expensive art is nice to look at, and some that are, aren't necessarily more valuable than the ugly art.
When the comparison is done from a "car guys" point of view, the value for the 4 door does not stack up,but,from a "collector's perspective" it certainly can and does.
I think that is kind of what Riggs was going for in his comments.
Mark.