Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Parts/Memorabilia - For Sale

Please note

Old 12-05-2013, 03:48 AM

Default Re: NOS LS7 454 Crate Engine

My uncle bought one in 1990 and did nothing to it but put an intake and Holley 850 in a super stock 69 camaro and run 10.5s all day long. This motor absolutely doesn't need to be tore down.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:43 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Well it all depends
I've built and rebuilt probibly
500!to 800 engines
In my lifetime
I am a certified Gm diesel
And auto tech
( Any thing that's 40+years old
I'd pull it apart to check it)
I've found under torqued things
On brand new engines too
I do this stuff for a living .......!!!
( not just a hobby)
1971 442 W 30 holiday coupe
Old 12-05-2013, 01:13 PM

Thanked 3,776 Times in 1,598 Posts

----Trust what David says. It could save someone a lot of irritation. Its no big deal to take a crate motor apart and just check things out. The engine isnt devalued in any way. As a matter of fact, I think the value would be enhanced if I was interested in this crate motor if I knew it was already done. Also, fresh cam lube could be applied to lessen the chance of a lobe being wiped out. The motor has been sitting for a long time. What ever was on the cam isnt fresh anymore and may have hardened a bit.....Bill S
Old 12-06-2013, 05:52 AM

Well it looks super good down in the lifter valley and under the valve covers with not even a hint of corrosion. I'd say roll on but yea when you spend the bucks on such a nice piece there's nothing like knowing. So its totally up to the purchaser
Old 12-06-2013, 09:01 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: olredalert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">----Trust what David says. It could save someone a lot of irritation. Its no big deal to take a crate motor apart and just check things out. The engine isnt devalued in any way. As a matter of fact, I think the value would be enhanced if I was interested in this crate motor if I knew it was already done. Also, fresh cam lube could be applied to lessen the chance of a lobe being wiped out. The motor has been sitting for a long time. What ever was on the cam isnt fresh anymore and may have hardened a bit.....Bill S</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: olredalert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">----Trust what David says. It could save someone a lot of irritation. Its no big deal to take a crate motor apart and just check things out. The engine isnt devalued in any way. As a matter of fact, I think the value would be enhanced if I was interested in this crate motor if I knew it was already done. Also, fresh cam lube could be applied to lessen the chance of a lobe being wiped out. The motor has been sitting for a long time. What ever was on the cam isnt fresh anymore and may have hardened a bit.....Bill S</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: olredalert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">----Trust what David says. It could save someone a lot of irritation. Its no big deal to take a crate motor apart and just check things out. The engine isnt devalued in any way. As a matter of fact, I think the value would be enhanced if I was interested in this crate motor if I knew it was already done. Also, fresh cam lube could be applied to lessen the chance of a lobe being wiped out. The motor has been sitting for a long time. What ever was on the cam isnt fresh anymore and may have hardened a bit.....Bill S</div></div>
Thanks Bill Better to err on the side of caution ...I've seen people
Skimp at the last minute .....with very expensive results ..
1971 442 W 30 holiday coupe
Old 12-06-2013, 10:06 PM

wxactly
Old 12-07-2013, 01:50 PM

Send a message via ICQ to miket1

It doesn't take much time to pull a pan and valve covers to check the torque, I would want to reseal the pan anyway before installing in my car, and it's easy to install an old distributor to pre oil the engine.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:23 AM

Bump to sell
Old 07-17-2014, 02:04 PM

Is this a small pad or large PAD Block ? The True XCH LS7's are from 1973-1976....with large front stamping pads. Using 2nd Gen L88 Rods 180 ZL1/L88 Cams...pushrods rockers etc. the later ones are the Generic type that Chevy marketed as LS7's , L88's &amp; LS6 Crate motors ... assembled with the mass produced Truck type blocks , Rods and Cranks...using small pads.... Check the Casting #s ..freeze plugs and pad. An early 80's purchase can be either one....All the 90,s Engines are Early Period INCORECT in appearance and content!!!! Don't be fooled with LS7/L88 monikers the Real Ones are Early builds and have the &quot;RightStuff&quot;.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:44 PM

Are you saying later LS7s don't have full floating 7/16 dimple rods and 180 cams? I disagree. What do you base this info on? It's not fair to post this info, especially in someone's ad, without backing up your claim. I have had quite a few later LS-7 engines, both used and NOS and the internals are the same other than possibly a 7416 crank rather than a 3521.

Jason