Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 01-21-2010, 06:30 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,622 Times in 497 Posts
Default Wounded Warrior Weekend..

Once again the Adaptive Sports Foundation at Windham Ski Center is hosting a great weekend for our Wounded Warriors. They expect almost 30 service people and their families to attend the event this weekend. There will be approx. 200 volunteers helping from Thursday-Sunday, including volunteers from the NYC Fire and Police departments. Wilma will be helping the firemmen cook some great meals for the soldiers and Karen will be handling the media and a million other things. This is one of the best events I have ever been involved with and it gets better every year. Stay tuned for updates and photos.

wilma

www.woundedwarriorproject.com

http://www.adaptivesportsfoundation.org/
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
Join National Nostalgic Nova!
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 01-21-2010, 07:43 AM

Thanked 5,357 Times in 1,880 Posts
Default Re: Wounded Warrior Weekend..

Great to hear Tom...that's so cool that you do that
Old 01-21-2010, 10:45 PM

First Update....Fox News Network will be carring the story live on Saturday morning 7am to 9:30am...reports every half hour.

I'll hold up an SYC sign

Please check it out if you can...thanks, wilma

Shouldn't be a problem for Cumby and Howie, they'll just be getting home from Friday nite on the town
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
Old 01-21-2010, 10:54 PM

I'll be watching for you, but how ya gonna get Karen to appear on Fox?

Nice work folks!
Old 01-21-2010, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll be watching for you, but how ya gonna get Karen to appear on Fox?

Nice work folks!

[/ QUOTE ]

She will make the sacrifice for the troops
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
Old 01-23-2010, 01:41 AM

Press release about the event...there may be a snag with Fox coming to the event. They are short a couple of blondes this weekend

wilma

The Adaptive Sports Foundation and Windham Mountain to host
‘Support our Troops’ event

Windham, NY - The Adaptive Sports Foundation (ASF) at Windham Mountain Resort is hosting a four day ‘Support Our Troops’ event for United States soldiers and Marines injured during recent tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. The ASF will partner with Disabled Sports USA (www.dsusa.org), the Wounded Warrior Project (www.woundedwarriorproject.org), Windham Mountain (www.windhammountain.com) and the New York City Fire Department to bring wounded servicemen and women and their families to Windham Mountain January 21st to 24th for a weekend of winter sports activity and rest and relaxation. This outdoor rehabilitative program combines ski and snowboard instruction with opportunities for peer and family support.

The objective for the winter program is to involve the entire family in sports they can continue to do together after their return home. ASF volunteer instructors guide soldiers through experiences that give them the skills to ski and snowboard. A secondary goal of this event is to allow the wounded soldiers and Marines to spend quality recreational and social time with their families. Troops are encouraged to attend with partners or spouses and their children with the goal of the weekend to be the inclusion of the disabled troops back into family activities.

Over the past two decades, the ASF has grown to be the largest adaptive sports program on the East Coast and one of the top 10 in the country. One of ASF’s most notable endeavors occurred in February 2005, when the Foundation partnered with Disabled Sports USA, the Wounded Warrior Project, Windham Mountain, and the New York City Fire Department to provide a three-day ski weekend for U.S. soldiers who had been disabled during recent tours of duty in the Middle East. Since offering our first program in 2005, the Adaptive Sports Foundation has provided over 150 wounded soldiers and Marines, as well as more than 200 family members and caregivers, with summer, fall, and winter recreational activities and instruction in a variety of sports.

Thousands of soldiers returning to the states from Iraq and Afghanistan are faced with countless challenges as a result of the injuries they have received defending our country from terrorism. In addition to the difficulties of living with an amputation, multiple amputations or other serious injuries on an individual level, a soldier’s family is also deeply affected by the demands of the injury. Watching the soldiers overcome life-changing injuries, and rehabilitate through sports is an endless source of inspiration. Seeing spouses and children realize that their husband, wife, Mom, or Dad is able to participate in physical activities with them is an added bonus.

“Snow skiing changed my life for the better. My teenage children started skiing too so we might be able to keep chasing each other around like we did before my injury. Skiing has leveled the playing field for me both physically and mentally, as I continue to stay active with my friends and family. I treasure the time spent together; skiing has brought me and my children closer together, and that is priceless.”
- Army 1st Lt (retired) Ed Salau -

This year’s ASF ‘Support Our Troops’ weekend will include ski and snowboard lessons, snow tubing, après ski family activities, and a special private viewing of the new Warren Miller film Dynasty.

Cherisse Young, ASF Executive Director offers, “The Adaptive Sports Foundation is extremely proud of our Wounded Warrior programs. The young men and women who participate in the ASF “Support our Troops” events and programs have made extraordinary sacrifices in the name of America’s freedom. The Adaptive Sports Foundation is proud to continue to provide these very deserving veterans a retreat of healthy and motivational activity for as long as the services are needed.”

Sponsors of the ASF’s 2010 ‘Support Our Soldiers’ weekend include Catskill Buick, Pontiac, GMC & Cadillac, Dunbrooke Corporation, the National Amputee Association, Blumberg Marketing, Cross Canvas Bags, Windham Mountain, Disabled Sports USA, Wounded Warrior Disabled Sports Project, US Paralympics, the New York City Fire Department Family Transport Foundation, Windham’s Knights of Columbus and Red Hook VFW Post 7765.

ASF is expecting several Federal and state dignitaries to attend the event to welcome the troops. Their attendance is subject to their availability.

######
The Adaptive Sports Foundation (501c3) provides profound and life changing experiences for physically disabled and cognitively challenged individuals through outdoor physical activity, education, and support. In 2008-2009, the ASF provided over 2,700 lessons to disabled individuals and the organization’s 235 volunteers donated 22,000 hours of service.
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
Old 01-23-2010, 03:11 AM

Tom, Bravo Zulu to you and Karen for your involvement in this!

Old 01-25-2010, 05:01 PM

Well, we are back from a great weekend with the troops. Everyone had a great time on the mountain. The dedication of the volunteers who put on this event is amazing...they do a great job. The NYC Fire Department boys handled trnasportation for the troops and helped with cooking...they are "a party in a box"

Here are some links to the local news coverage...Karen is featured in the News 9 segment. Enjoy
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
Old 01-25-2010, 05:02 PM

http://capitalnews9.com/capital-region-n...indham-mountain
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas