Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Chevrolet

Old 12-05-2015, 05:28 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default A few Nova questions

I've been tossing around the idea of changing the interior in my 69 Nova for a couple yrs. Been pretty busy since I finished restoring the Nova 2 yrs ago. I built a garage, remodeled the house garage etc.

The car was originally was a 6 cyl/auto, now with a big block/4 speed/12 bolt, so changing the interior is not something I'm concerned with.

Several questions from a Chevelle guy, who owns a Nova...lol.

The Nova currently has a standard black bench seat interior, in excellent condition. My plan is to put a factory bucket seat with console interior in the car. So I will be changing to custom door panels too.

Questions: The Nova currently has a Hurst 4 speed shifter with a Muncie chrome handle & knob. What do I have to do to the shifter, if anything, to add the console, besides welding in a console hump? Is the console shifter the same, linkage the same, handle the same, etc?? I don't see listings in the Nova catalogs for a hurst shifter with console??

I was also considering an interior color change. What color interiors were available from the factory in 69, with an Olympic Gold/black roof Nova? I did see a gold interior Nova at a car show that I really liked, but was that color available in 69??

I'm also looking for a nice clear picture of a 69-72 Nova floor pan from inside the car, with the carpet removed so I can see the placement of the bucket seat brackets welded to the floor. I have the brackets, but the 2 pictures I have aren't clear enough to see the bracket details.

Here's a shot of the car. Perhaps some may remember the resto I documented here on SYC.

https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbt...opics/523976/1

Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 12-05-2015, 06:49 PM

Default Re: A few Nova questions

Bill,

Not another Bench Seat to be tossed for Buckets and a Console [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img]

I would leave it as is.....You did a fantastic Job with Nova - as you have done so with everyone of your Beautiful Cars....if she were mine I would leave her just as she is.

Bill....she is yours to do as you please.....But I LOVE a Bench Seat - 4 Speed over buckets....that`s just me [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

My 2nd Choice is Bench Seat on the Column Automatic
My 3rd Choice is Buckets no Console - 4 speed
Last would be Buckets and Console - 4 Speed. JMO.

Dan
70 Buick Skylark Post Sedan Burnished Saddle

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PM3DE8qI2NY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn4xEmGypUw
The Following User Says Thank You to Postsedan For This Useful Post:
PeteLeathersac (06-03-2020)
Old 12-05-2015, 07:37 PM

I am with Dan. I thought you built this car as a &quot;go fast&quot; type car. The standard interior would be the choice of the race car guys when new. Besides, it is a very nice interior already.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:56 PM

I hear you guys.......but this wasn't a decision I made quickly. This car gets driven a lot. That's why I built it. The bench seat is just not comfortable. I had 2 back surgeries earlier in my life (20's) and the bench seat just doesn't work for me. If it was a numbers car like my other cars, it would be a different story. I like bench seat cars as much as the next guy, but in the interest of comfort, and staying out of the operating room.............
Old 12-05-2015, 08:24 PM

There is a sticky at Steve's Nova Site in Originality that will give you all the bucket seat info you desire.
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...ad.php?t=32475
09 Pontiac G8 GT Premium,Sport,Roof. Liquid Red.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:25 PM

Bill,

I clearly understand the back issue....and we are all built a bit different. I personally am super comfy in a Bench Seat car. As many times I have driven a Chevelle Bench or Buckets....the famous question is what is more comfortable. You will get a lot of different answers. Perhaps the other concern may also be that you are in a Nova vs. a Chevelle and are lacking a bit room and ride as well. Again, just trying to help you....not saying anything good or bad....just facts.

You could also make a custom split power adjusting bench seat with a factory appearing arm rest. Just say`n. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

I just want you to keep enjoying your Nova.....nothing worse than building a beautiful car that you can no longer enjoy or use.

Dan
70 Buick Skylark Post Sedan Burnished Saddle

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PM3DE8qI2NY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn4xEmGypUw
Old 12-05-2015, 10:53 PM

Bill, i know where you are coming from for i also have had two lower back surgeries myself in the last 20 years. I have two Novas with bench seats also, which i drive about 300 miles each a year. I don't plan on making any changes to the seats for that is the way they came when new. Maybe you can have the front bench refoamed to make it firmer to give yourself extra support. I'm with Dan &amp; Sam on this one, car looks great the way it sits.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:01 AM

Bill has great taste. There is no way I don't trust his vision for the upgrade. Love the idea of a non-black gut too. Look forward to more posts and pics as it evoles.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:13 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: L78steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a sticky at Steve's Nova Site in Originality that will give you all the bucket seat info you desire.
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...ad.php?t=32475
</div></div>
I do have those pics on file Steve. They aren't clear enough to see where the small outside seat brackets go. I thought someone might have a good pic of a clean bare floor that would show it more clearly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr.Nickey Nova</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bill, i know where you are coming from for i also have had two lower back surgeries myself in the last 20 years. I have two Novas with bench seats also, which i drive about 300 miles each a year. I don't plan on making any changes to the seats for that is the way they came when new. Maybe you can have the front bench refoamed to make it firmer to give yourself extra support. I'm with Dan &amp; Sam on this one, car looks great the way it sits. </div></div>
The bench seat is actually pretty firm for a bench seat. The problem is the angle of the back in relation to the seat. Plus bench seats give no support when flying around corners, I tend to slide across the seat....lol... Maybe I'm too use to being glued to the seat in the Corvette. Thats the position I'm looking for. I can drive the Vette all day long and not have a single ache when I get out.

Still looking for a pic of a clean/blasted/painted floor. Just not sure where the 4 small seat track brackets go. I have most of the parts to do this conversion. I'm still driving the car. As soon as the snow starts flying, I'm planning to do this project. I guarantee it will come out the way I want it to look, otherwise, I wouldn't do it, or spend the couple thousand dollars in parts.

It can always be turned back to a bench seat car with a couple days work.

I'm looking for a Nova floor pic like this one I have of my El Camino floor. Anybody?
Old 12-06-2015, 03:24 AM

Bill having a nova with bucket seats IMHO isn't going to make you back issue any better. This is one of the main reasons I sold my 68 L78 nova with bucket seats. I was very uncomfortable driving the car. Not enough leg room for me and if I was in the car driving for a short period of time I could barely walk when I got out. The nova seats sit up high for me being 6'3 my head and leg room was limited. But I think this is what you are looking for? You know 68-71 nova bucket seat brackets are nova only, chevelle bucket seat tracks are longer.