Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Ford-Mercury

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-26-2018, 02:49 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Thanked 4,576 Times in 1,137 Posts

So moving onto the exhaust, several options exist. What did Bullitt have? What was factory stock? What would I use to make it correct for both? Why does anyone care? Welp.... glad you asked! First step was to see what the Bullitt car has. It was advertised as headers through straight pipes early on in the enthusiasts realm. Well, not so. Evidence against that, if you watch the movie scenes, is no low slung Grady Day-2 headers hanging down! . What it's sporting is factory manifolds, the stock h-pipe, resonators, the transverse muffler removed, and straight pipes over the axle and exiting below the valance minus tips. So, basically, a stock system minus the tips and transverse muffler.

My system is exactly that, but with a slight deviation. I want it reversible so it can be put back stock if necessary. After the resonators, it'll be a slip-fit, clamped straight pipe system that can be removed and the stock traverse system installed. So the biggest thing I need is a set of the stock Resonators. I called up Scott Fuller who makes dead-nuts-on reproductions of entire systems for Mustangs. But the price of the Resonators since they are one piece and welded to the intermediate and muffler connector pipes, ain't exactly cheap.

Scott had a run of Resonators made up, but they weren't to his standards. Not being happy with them, he decided to make his own to match NOS ones. You can see the very slight difference in the step down crispness of the edges of the ones he had made and the ones he now makes that are OE identical. Fortunately for me, he tossed out all of the old ones except for one pair. Best part? He's just giving them to me! I bought a set of mounting flanges he makes and this will complete my factory looking exhaust perfectly. What a great guy!

So I'll start mounting up the exhaust next week when these come in. Be sure to tune in next week for such updates as, "Why didn't this work like I thought it would in my mind?" and, "Why am I even in this hobby to begin with? "

Cheers
Dave
Attached Images

Last edited by A12pilot; 03-28-2018 at 01:33 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to A12pilot For This Useful Post:
big gear head (03-26-2018)