Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Sponsors > Vintage Certification

Old 06-27-2011, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Thanked 6,203 Times in 1,347 Posts
Default Re: GM Nationals @ Carlisle

Jeff, not sure what your agenda is with your negative comments towards Carlisle. The pictures I took were at the same show on Saturday around 1:00pm, and it was well attended.

Quite obviously its not the same show, in fact the Y building you showed was later filled with a regional program "Hot Rodders of Tomorrow" which is an automotive competion for vocational high school students. The winner of this competion goes on to a national event. To me it was nice to see the youth of tomorrow getting their hands dirty and enjoying the same things we do CARS! Maybe that doesn't interest you but there was a lot of enthusiam from those students, parents and instructors.

My comment regarding the vendors was that it was surprising to me that it was so well attended at the time I was walking around (my expectations were low). I also heard from a few vendors that Saturday was "really good".

There is no reason to compare the shows because they are completely different and both are moving forward. The Maryland show is what it is and I'm sure those that attended were satisfied.

If you have suggestions or issues why not address them directly with Carlisle management.

For me it was a chance to see some of the rarest GM built muscle and to have fun and food and drink with friends. The Vintage team is looking forward to MCACN in Chicago, and Carlisle next year. I expect an even better Carlisle show next year, and I've already provided Carlisle with some new ideas and suggestions.

Vintage Certification™ , Providing Recognition to Unrestored Muscle Cars. Website:
www.vintagecertification.com
Old 06-28-2011, 12:44 AM

As a vendor at this show, I will say that I have done very well in the past and not so bad this year, considering that all I ever hear is that the show is going down the toilet and "I" will not be back. Sat. thinned out to almost nothing by 1pm so I packed at 2pm, but it was still well worth while for me.
I have to admit that I am also in a state of disbelief that this show has not taken off and done a lot better. Afterall, with Chevy being the #1 GM collector car, this should be the equivilent of a Chevy Meet. There were a LOT of empty vendor spaces but there were also serious buyers. Maybe I just do well because I have real & good parts (you can't restore a car properly with a telephone). Anyway, I will continue to be there unless it does die.

Verne [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2011, 01:33 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Ill be back its worth going to just to see the solid lifter show room that the super car work shop puts on all thoase rare cars in one bulding great show and people [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/headbang.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2011, 10:46 PM

Steve, It is certainly no secret that the GM show has been lacking for years and the recent changes they made did not help so IMO there is no need to sugar coat anything. On one good note, I did hear the plastic brick wall banner was taken down for good.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:04 PM

Heard the Show in Marylnd was not much to write home about. Wasn't there so can't really comment.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:09 AM

Sam and others, I WAS at the CAMARO NATIONALS in Frederick,MD helping to judge the 2nd Gen LEGENDS(restored)Camaros. I also walked about as any enthusiast would. I enjoyed the overall experience and heard most everyone else doing likewise.
People are people. Those at Carlisle had their fun and we at
Frederick did so also. It's just a shame that WE all cant be together and experience EVERYTHING together.

My expectations were exceeded. I've heard the car count was 350+. There were alot of 5th Gen(new)Camaros that were driven in from many states far and wide. I believe this site (for the most part) stops thinking Camaro after the 1969 year.

As many of you at Carlisle were no doubt hearing negative comments about Frederick, we were hearing misc negative hearsay about Carlisle. He said, she said, yada, yada, yada ......
about who left, who was there, who had the bigger xxx, you know
the routine.

The new venue at the Frederick Fairgrounds was very acceptable with two good size bldgs being used for the LEGENDS and HEARTBEAT restored. As well Rick Settlemire from G.M. brought in a Reliable Truck load of Camaros that included the new ZL-1.
The venue also had a open show field (ala Carlisle) where the majority of the cars were lined up in a large variety of classes.

There were maybe six professional food vendors. These was a small variety of amatuer private party guys selling used and NOS Camaro parts. I actually saw more CAMARO parts at this show than I normally see at G.M. Carlisle (when you eliminate all the garbage, and other misc G.M.parts)

City of Frederick is moderately sized. There had a COSTCO, Super Walmart and any type of store or restaurant that you would want at a car show weekend anywhere. Freeway access off I-70 was a breeze.

The Host Hotel was a large Holiday Inn &amp; Conference Center. Parking lot area was huge. We had a typical hot breakfast buffet each morning. We had a charity silent auction dinner on Friday night.

I observed people having fun talking with old friends and meeting new ones. I heard people expressing their pleasure in being there. The www.nastyZ28 web site had a BBQ lunch for its many members and guests that attended.

On Saturday at 4PM there was the typical award presentations.

As I've said before I will always miss Brian, Joe &amp; Frank's display of superbly restored Camaros and Novas. I think this entire situation stinks. Business, money, power and control must prevail with Carlisle Productions. I was told that the Maryland Camaro Club operates the &quot;CAMARO Nationals&quot; as a non profit.

In all likelyhood this Pixxing contest will continue for years to come. I will continue to support the stand alone CAMARO NATIONALS and hlp it grow, gain parts vendors, prestiege and profitability.

I'll step off my soap box for now and let whomever fire away at my observations

respectfully submitted,

Chuck Sharin (my real name)
425-277-8833 (my real phone #)

70 Camaro R/S Z-28, L-78, R/S SS
69 Camaro COPO &quot;recreation&quot;
Old 06-29-2011, 02:58 AM

Chuck, very good info and well put. I still wish that these 2 shows could all be together again. Thanks!
Old 06-29-2011, 03:28 AM

I really have not followed this issue closely as hitting the Solid Lifter Showroom has always been a top priority for me. I think I might enjoy the Camaro Nationals as a stand alone event. I really enjoy the type of scene that Chuck described.

The only issue I have is if the Camaro Nationals continues to be held the same weekend as GM Carlisle- regardless of being non-profit seems rather spiteful and only alienates a fellow like myself who would be open to the event if it wasn't for the scheduling conflict. Seems like there certainly are ego problems on both sides and somewhere in between the two opinions is the real world. I think whichever side realizes that 1st will ultimately &quot;win&quot; the crowd on the merits of the show, rather than competing in the same North East Region, for the same crowd on the same weekend.

Good luck fellows!
Old 06-29-2011, 04:02 AM
Administrator

Thanked 6,203 Times in 1,347 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 69L78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Steve, It is certainly no secret that the GM show has been lacking for years and the recent changes they made did not help so IMO there is no need to sugar coat anything. On one good note, I did hear the plastic brick wall banner was taken down for good. </div></div>

I didn't go to the show for the food vendors or to worry about a banner. It was an event that in the end was very satisfying. I saw many first time shown cars I think 20 in the SLS alone(how about that 11k mile special order Ram Air IV GTO in the show field). What makes a show to me is the gathering of like minded people and their cars.

Obviously you have a different take after spending a couple of hours, but for those of us that spent four days setting up, judging, relaxing, having a few brews and meals with friends... it was a blast. The only thing real I sense is your contempt for Carlisle Productions.

It goes without saying that we all believe this show should be much bigger and better. Many of us want to be part of the solution......

Vintage Certification™ , Providing Recognition to Unrestored Muscle Cars. Website:
www.vintagecertification.com
Old 06-29-2011, 04:05 AM

Id like to hear more about the Ram Air IV GTO