Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 04-12-2018, 02:10 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,154 Posts
Default Cheap Big Brakes Part II

You guys with machine shop capabilities and access will get a kick out of this I am sure.

This is a continuation of my Cheap Big Brakes (CBB) upgrade on the 68 El Camino. You can read about how I put C3 Corvette rotors with 70’s truck calipers on the front here: http://www.camaros.net/forums/16-bra...e-upgrade.html

In the first post there is a link to where I got the idea from a page on David Pozzi’s web site.

The thread showing the mods to the rear, and the hidden trailer hitch is here:
https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=133383

I have always considered myself a bit of a Hack Mechanic. I even hacked that term. A fellow named Rob Siigel wrote a column for years (decades actually) in the BMW car club magazine, The Roundel. Like Rob, I seem to find solutions to problems that are effective and efficient, even if a bit ugly. Fortunately, this El Camino is the perfect platform for my hackness. It is a no hit, almost rust free car, but nothing we would want to restore to factory original. 307 PG car with power steering and factory A/C. Been painted multiple times starting as Grecian Green, then a bright yellow, and now hot rod flat black. .020 over 350 with a forged crank, crane roller cam made for torque starting at 1500 rpm, stock 68 cast iron four barrel and Q;jet. 4L60E trans with stand alone controller. Currently has a 3.36 10 bolt, but I found a cheap 3.31 12 bolt.

I modified the back end to make it suitable to pull my car hauler. I don’t need huge bearings in the rear, as I don’t put too much tongue weight on it; just need it to pull …. and stop. According several who have commented, I should be able to bolt on some 11 inch rear drums. Figured the perfect time to do it was while I was going through the 12 bolt before installing. I really didn’t want to mess with converting the rear brakes to disc, but thought upgrading from 9 x 2 drums to 11 x 2 drums would be a great match for the Corvette brakes on the front.

Turns out it is not so easy. I believe there were a few Monte Carlos in the early 70’s (and maybe a few Chevelle’s) that received 11 inch rear brakes. Good luck finding those used parts. No one makes replacement backing plates for those big brake Chevelles. Virtually every source I checked indicated that backing plates off of a full size Chevy 12 bolt would bolt on to the Chevelle rear (or Camaro for that matter, as the backing plates and ends of the axle tubes are the same). No so. The full size Chevy has a larger axle tube. I purchased a set of 11 inch backing plates (apparently for 11 by either 2.5 or 3, as they were off set more than my Chevelle backing plates. All of the 11 x 3 drums I found were drilled for the bigger 5 inch bolt pattern, like what came on the big Buick or a Cadillac, instead of 4.75.

My research indicated that a late 60’s full size Chevy could have 11 x 2 drums in the rear. Bolt pattern is 4.75. One of the kind members on this site (L78Steve) was parting out a 12 bolt rear from a 69 Caprice. He checked, and it had 11 inch brakes in the rear. Steve was kind enough to send me the drums, the backing plates and all the associated hardware for free. All I had to pay was shipping. What a deal.

Sure enough the center hole in the backing plates is considerably larger than the ones for A body or F body cars. Hmmm. I have free brake drums and free backing plates. A little crusty, but still solid. Decided it was time to hack out a solution.

More to come.

Below are pictures showing the difference in the backing plates. This nicely primered backing plate isn't one that Steve gave me, but is one of the ones made for 11 x 3 brakes. Hole and bolt pattern is exactly the same though.
Attached Images

O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 04-13-2018, 01:29 AM

Cut out a couple of discs from some 1/8 scrap metal I had laying around. Welded them in the backing plates. Carefully measured to find the center and drilled holes in the middle. I had this medieval tool left over from 20 years ago (part of an epic failure of an attempt to bore out a holley base plate).

After a couple of rotations, it was clear that the cutter was made for wood or aluminum, but it did give me a pretty clear mark for where to cut the new hole. So, I cut it out with a sabre saw. Tried to keep it inside the line as best I could. Cleaned it up with a die grinder.

I didn't worry about grinding the whole weld down. I did make sure I ground it down where the the new bolt holes will go, and the mounting nuts will seat.

Still have to drag the 12 bolt up to the bench, pull the axles, remove the old backing plates and fit these. Figured I won’t drill the bolt holes until I have it clamped on the axle housing to make sure I get them in the correct position.
Have ordered new shoes, wheel cyl and hardware.

Will post pics when I get them fitted.
Attached Images

SS427 (04-13-2018), VintageMusclecar (04-13-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 07:46 PM

Worked out great. Will post some pics how I marked the mounging bolt holes. Kind of crude, but it worked. I could have destroyed one of the 9.5 inch plates to use the center as a template, but this worked out fine.

Fit perfect. Was even able to re-use my old parking brake cables. On top of that, the 50 year old brake drums Steve sent to me (Thanks again!!!!) are still in spec (barely) after resufacing on the brake lathe.

I have an adjustable proportioning valve, but have not installed it yet. Plan to drive it a few hundred miles to let the rear brakes bed in properly, then do a few panic stops with Sherri taking video so I will know if front of rear locks first.

Last edited by Lynn; 04-21-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:46 PM

I can’t wait for the Charley Lillard style video!!

Ryan

1969 Beaumont 350 Auto White Sold
1969 Beaumont 307 Auto Green Sold
1969 Chevelle SS 396-L35 Auto Blue Sold
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass 'S' Sports Coupe W31
Old 04-20-2018, 10:02 PM

Will this Monster Garage Brake upgrade fit under 14 X 6 wheels?

Ryan

1969 Beaumont 350 Auto White Sold
1969 Beaumont 307 Auto Green Sold
1969 Chevelle SS 396-L35 Auto Blue Sold
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass 'S' Sports Coupe W31
Old 04-21-2018, 01:46 AM

No video.

14 inch wheel fit the rear 11 inch drums without issue, but not even close to going on the fronts.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:49 AM

Default pics

Not shown below, but I first fine tuned the size of the large hole with a die grinder, making sure they were a tight fit.

Then clamped the new plates to the flange, scribed thtough the mounting holes, center pumched and drilled to 3/8.

Was able to use the old park brake cables, both of which were kink free and moved freely. I sprayed a little penetrating oil in each just to keep them in good shape.

New wheel cylinders and new spring kit from RockAuto.
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2018, 11:42 PM

That's going to be one quick stopping Elco.
09 Pontiac G8 GT Premium,Sport,Roof. Liquid Red.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:04 AM

And thank you again Steve for the free brake parts. Even the drums cleaned up within spec.