Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 08-21-2018, 12:34 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default WIW Betty Skelton, Brass Hat, Advertising 65 Vette

This is the hardest car I've ever tried to establish a value on. What does the history of a car add to the value of a car? I'm considering selling this car and I want to be fair since there would be some work and research left up to a potential buyer. This car did hit the internet a few months ago.

The car is an all original untouched survivor 65 L79, M20, 3.70 Posi, power brakes, power windows, AM/FM, telescopic wheel, off road exhaust, day/night mirror. The car retains roughly 95% original paint on a great body, glass, interior, wheels, carb, alternator, distributor, plug wires, radiator, conv. top, etc. The car has 50,080 miles and has been sitting since 1979. Since I found the car all I did was wash it, so it's pretty much in it's "as found" state. The car will need some mechanical work and some TLC to make it a driver. No rot issues. NOT a restoration project.

The car was originally owned by the legendary Betty Skelton. She is a significant person in the racing, airplane, and Corvette marketing/racing history. The car has the original Protect-o-Plate made out to Betty Skelton. As the legend goes, she was the world's fastest woman in the air and on the ground while she owned this very car in 1965.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betty_Skelton

I've traced a lot of history of this car to being a Brass Hat ordered and Advertising car for Campbell-Ewald and the Corvette Program. Car was delivered to Chevrolet Central Office and on loan to Campbell-Ewald from Dec. 64-May 65 before Betty became the official original owner. The car was invoiced through a Zone/Dealer Code set up by Joe Pike the National Sales Manager for Chevy and Corvette’s #1 ambassador to invoice Chevrolet's Central Office for Campbell-Ewald.

Please feel free to comment or PM me. I know Corvette's aren't huge on this site, so I thought it was appropriate to post this question.
Attached Images

Attachments - The Supercar Registry rear.jpg Racing Heroes – Betty Skelton.jpg motor.jpg Interior.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 08-22-2018, 02:46 PM

I have had the chance to see this car in person several times and it is a killer original 65 Corvette. The car ties to Chevrolet Central Office and the Legendary Betty Skelton aside this car is a very well optioned survivor: UU Rally Red with Black Vinyl interior, L79 327-350hp M-20 4pd with G81 Posi 3:70 rear, A31 power windows, N36 Tele-column, A31 power windows, N11 off-road exhaust. U69 Am-FM radio, J50 Power Brakes and Z01 Comfort and Convenience Group. Original Protecto plate issued Delivery to Chevrolet Central Office in Detroit and later issued to Betty Skelton Herself. NCRS shipping Documents showing Dealer code 500 Zone 0 Chevrolet Central Office. If you are looking for a very original highly optioned L79 with great options, paperwork and killer history this is a great car.
Attached Images

Last edited by Nasblu; 08-22-2018 at 02:59 PM.