Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 11-12-2010, 07:37 PM

Default Re: E-Bay '69 Yenko Disguised As a Z-28 Clone!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sYc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Regardless of how the stamped numbers got there, how do you rectify the problem? </div></div> Via a state issued replacement VIN plate that attaches to the firewall with the state assigning their specific VIN if the original/correct/born with VIN cannot be determined, and thus a new branded title being issued with this newly assigned VIN. Firewall must first be examined in this case to see if it were actually replaced and what numbers are there now. If it were not replaced, the VIN that is on it now would become the VIN listed on the state issued plate because that is the car's born with VIN and is known. That's why it is placed there. 616414 could never be listed on the state issued replacement VIN tag. Only THAT car's original, born with VIN or the state's assigned VIN could be listed on the state issued tag and placed on this car. Thus, there goes a SYC by the wayside. That 616414 VIN tag should not be on that car, firewall replacement or not. That VIN tag should not be placed on any other car body, even a Dynacorn or the like. That VIN tag should be in a case on the shelf, hanging on a wall, and looked at. Or sent to the Yenko VIN tag graveyard.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:46 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,122 Times in 331 Posts

I agree Tom. It is an interesting issue. My earlier example consisting of transferring just the small piece(s) of sheet metal where the stamps are located would, in my opinion, not result in the second car (the one that received the small cut out) being the new legal car (particularly if the new car got a brand, spanking, new duplicate vin plate). It's also very interesting to go down the rabbit trail that vfitom introduced yesterday. If, in fact, two #616414's existed - and it could be proven that a crime was involved in one or the other acquisition/transaction, and, the crime actually precipitated the transaction - wouldn't/couldn't that transaction be nullified in PA? In this example, that may be one of the avenues toward the rectification that you questioned.

All really good, interesting stuff. I hope that this isn't boring a bunch of people. Heck - so far this exercise has only cost me $500.00 per page of this thread - I'm not bored!
Old 11-12-2010, 10:28 PM

Not boring me. I'm learning a lot.
09 Pontiac G8 GT Premium,Sport,Roof. Liquid Red.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:04 AM

Funny you mention the vin from one car to another based on a crime - that very scenario happened to another Yenko Camaro right here in SE Pennsylvania!

Long story, but true Yenko with the Yenko vin stamped in the f/wall trumped the other car that had 'no' vin on the f/wall - although it had the original Yenko's vin tag in the dash. The wrong car showed up on EBaY of all places, and was physically located just 30 minutes from the real Yenko - unreal. (As of now the wrong car has no vin plate on the dash, the State Police reopened the case and physically removed it about 2-3 years ago, the theft happened in the 80's!)

Honestly, you can't make some of this crazy stuff up!
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, &amp; 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 11-13-2010, 12:21 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..........

Honestly, you can't make some of this crazy stuff up! </div></div>

I think some people stay up late working on the next round of nutty!! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2010, 01:29 AM

Here's another tid bit - many folks may not know that there is a mandate for all of the individual state DMVs to communicate with each other. I believe that the deadline in PA was this past Spring. Of course, many states are running behind. I personally wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of vin's that are duplicated in different states. That's gonna be a real dog's breakfast! It just points out the need for ownership documentation folks. You probably remember when POPs were considered rock solid documentation - now, even the experts get fooled. Block stamping - the same way. With the value of these cars, somebody's gonna figure out how to stamp cowls - perfectly. Never say never.
I gotta get back to work on this project - I may not check in for a while - out of country next week.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:35 AM

&quot;616414 could never be listed on the state issued replacement VIN tag. Only THAT car's original, born with VIN or the state's assigned VIN could be listed on the state issued tag and placed on this car. Thus, there goes a SYC by the wayside. That 616414 VIN tag should not be on that car, firewall replacement or not. That VIN tag should not be placed on any other car body, even a Dynacorn or the like. That VIN tag should be in a case on the shelf, hanging on a wall, and looked at. Or sent to the Yenko VIN tag graveyard.&quot;

I agree Tom. But, luckily, we're not even close to that final point yet. Look forward to the outcome of firewall pics and inspection. I am in a situation right now - I fished a 1969 Dodge Daytona out of a graveyard last weekend, car retains one hidden VIN, found its original motor too. Another dude cut the VIN tag and fender tags off it years ago. We are both at loggerheads over who owns the car. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/frown.gif[/img] Different from this situation, but still in the VIN gray area.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:03 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bergy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's another tid bit - many folks may not know that there is a mandate for all of the individual state DMVs to communicate with each other. I believe that the deadline in PA was this past Spring. Of course, many states are running behind. I personally wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of vin's that are duplicated in different states. That's gonna be a real dog's breakfast! It just points out the need for ownership documentation folks. You probably remember when POPs were considered rock solid documentation - now, even the experts get fooled. Block stamping - the same way. With the value of these cars, somebody's gonna figure out how to stamp cowls - perfectly. Never say never.
I gotta get back to work on this project - I may not check in for a while - out of country next week. </div></div>

Funny thing is, in my example above, the original Yenko went and got its State Police issued replacement vin plate from PA. Years later the fake Yenko showed up in PA (!, of all 50 states....) but with the real cars vin, do you think he got a title issued from PA with that original vin? Yep! When 1 state can't figure out that there are two cars after the same vin, in the same state - I'm not putting too much trust in the interstate validation effort. To think that a rebodied car showed up 30 miles away from the real one, and got titled, is a head scratcher! Trust me, I'm up late many a night - but its never over stuff like this!
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, &amp; 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 11-13-2010, 03:03 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bergy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's another tid bit - many folks may not know that there is a mandate for all of the individual state DMVs to communicate with each other. I believe that the deadline in PA was this past Spring. Of course, many states are running behind. I personally wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of vin's that are duplicated in different states. That's gonna be a real dog's breakfast! It just points out the need for ownership documentation folks. You probably remember when POPs were considered rock solid documentation - now, even the experts get fooled. Block stamping - the same way. With the value of these cars, somebody's gonna figure out how to stamp cowls - perfectly. Never say never.
I gotta get back to work on this project - I may not check in for a while - out of country next week. </div></div>

I've mentioned this before, but a few years back I came up with a rough Hemi Super Bee body. Not only missing the dash vin and fender tag, the body stampings had been torched out as well. The previous owner claimed he had no paperwork, and was not interested enough to dig around. I sat on the car for about 6 months, but finally had no choice but to sell what pieces were usable and junk the rest.

I know of a 71 429 CJ Mach 1 in similar circumstances (the orginal selling dealer is still in business and remembers the car well, but has no records to pull a vin off of), and I know of a Cortez 69 Camaro that I'm 99% sure was a COPO, but again, no numbers and no way to find them.

I recall a massive brouhaha in the Mopar commmunity a few years back regarding an extraordinarily well faked 71 383 Cuda convertible pilot car. Until a friend of the original owner stepped forward with pictures documenting that the car was a plain jane 318, rather than a loaded 383, that car had everyone fooled.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:04 PM

&quot;happened to another Yenko Camaro right here in SE Pennsylvania!&quot;

Amazing - plus the fact that this stuff happens right in your back yard! Maybe this area is cursed!